Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Lein
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tom,

I guess I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for. Didier's next game will cover three battles in Germany, one of them being Auerstaedt which if I recall correctly was Vol. I in the series.

Randy Lein - LEGION WARGAMES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the next instalment of the Vive l'Empereur series...

I have created an unofficial rules rewrite with illustrations of the Vive l'Empereur rules that you can find here, it incorporates most of the advanced rules:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2CI0A0mdkR9aGhYYnp4QS1yd1k...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't on the CPO page, so I asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Butchers
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
andyloakes wrote:
The copy of Francisco Balbi's first-hand account of the siege has been claimed.

Thanks for the interest (and the orders )

Andy

Andy, just a quick note to say that the book arrived today. Can't wait to start it!

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kf4mat wrote:
andyloakes wrote:
The copy of Francisco Balbi's first-hand account of the siege has been claimed.

Thanks for the interest (and the orders )

Andy

Andy, just a quick note to say that the book arrived today. Can't wait to start it!

Tom

Thanks for letting me know, Tom. I'm confident you'll enjoy it.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Butchers
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I have finished the book "The Siege of Malta 1565" by Francisco Balbi and would like to offer it to a backer of Waning Crescent Shattered Cross as per the conditions set forth previously.

I found it very interesting believe the next reader will too.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kf4mat wrote:
I have finished the book "The Siege of Malta 1565" by Francisco Balbi and would like to offer it to a backer of Waning Crescent Shattered Cross as per the conditions set forth previously.

I found it very interesting believe the next reader will too.

Tom

Thanks for offering it forward, Tom. Glad you found it interesting. I found it incredibly readable considering it was written in C16, would you agree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Butchers
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
andyloakes wrote:

Thanks for offering it forward, Tom. Glad you found it interesting. I found it incredibly readable considering it was written in C16, would you agree?

I agree though to be honest when he refers to using the incendiaries all I could think of was the scene from Monty Python and The Holy Grail; "Brother Maynard, bring out the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Butchers
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools

Arthur: "How does it, uhmm how does it work?"

Lancelot: "I know not my Liege."

Arthur: "Consult the Book of Armaments!"

And with that I'll quit, because the book is very good reading.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Canning
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
whistle

That graphic is wonderful. But I don't recall seeing that on the famed Norman Conquest tapestry .... But it should be added to every 1066 game there is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Butchers
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I still have available the book "The Siege Of Malta 1565" by Francisco Balbi for anyone who has backed Waning Crescent, Shattered Cross.

The book is a first hand account of the siege and is a very good read. Per the original terms I will ship it postage paid to anyone that wants to read it and just ask that you offer it up the same when done.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Talley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ok I'll take it. PM incoming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Waning Crescent makes it numbers!

As stated above, Waning Crescent, Shattered Cross has made its pre-order numbers.

Randy has indicated that he's ready to commence the production process when I give the nod. Before that, I need to get a little more feedback from playtesters to ensure we've got good game balance - and I need to locate a little more art for the cards (though the latter can no doubt progress in parallel with the production process).

So there's still a little time to get those pre-order numbers even higher.

With that in mind I wanted to share some posts that appeared on here BGG and/on CSW. It started with this from Richard Hartland (playtester):

Quote:
I'm glad to see that Shattered Cross Waning Crescent has reached its pre-order number. I've worked with Andy on this off and on since the very early days of the design and it has changed hugely, and for the better.

If there are any waverers out there then here is my mini review.

Graphics: difficult to say for definite as only in play test mode, but the map is as gorgeous as Toulon. The countries are now much improved from the originals and are both functional and attractive.

Game play: this is simple but subtle. The game ticks along nicely in play, with play passing regularly and frequently between players. The complexity, if any, comes at week ends, but this is still smooth. The mechanics are straightforward with movement, ranged and melee combat. But as this is a card driven/supported game what you can do is limited by the cards you have. Here is where the subtleties lie. You draw cards from a shared deck. Each round you draw as many as you want/need, checking each one before you decide on drawing the next card. The cards contain events which range from strategic impacts such as advancing the chance of the Christian reinforcements arriving, to tactical impacts such as allowing raids on enemy foragers or cars which can impact combats. Or you spend the cards to activate units for movement and combat. But, while it might seem a good idea to just draw all the cards you want, each draw risks pulling a week end card, which is usually bad for which ever side draws it, but especially the Turks who are on a schedule. So each player is faced with the dilemma between drawing the number or cards he wants or needs for his planned actions, often made worse by drawing a good event card which potentially means drawing an additional card for all your planned actions.

The Ottomans bear the burden of attack and seemingly have most to do but the Christians while often having less to do are rarely idle. The Christians are very much outnumbered but have a lot of territory to defend. The Ottomans can concentrate much more easily but must be quick to catch the Christians off balance. They also have to work towards a given strategy according to a secret card draw, so the Christians can only guess at their likely focus point at the start.

I'll stop there for now as it's late, but there is much more to this intriguing game.

A similar post was made on BGG which elicited this response from Jonathan Townsend, another playtester:

[q]As a play-tester I second the support for this game. It's brilliance is the way it handles a siege that makes for a dynamic and edge-of-the-seat compulsion in play.

Both sides are balancing the push of their luck against the need to get things done - but what are the priorities? what of my dwindling resources (supply and troops) to use for each activity? The Christians can sortie if given a chance, they have four differently separated areas to control and do not know a main goal of the Ottoman, where should they reinforce? what might they abandon? Is that an Ottoman feint?

Their part is that of the besieged, nervously torn in time - wanting it too pass quickly (via end-of-week cards) so the Otts become depleted and the promised Relief Force may arrive, but wanting to hold on to the moments so as to prepare counter blows and preparations to the Ottoman efforts.

The Ottoman wants to start and finish the job before sickness, attrition, and the Christian relief make it undoable. A range of warrior types with different specialities and the all important seige guns must be brought up and maneauvered according to ones decided tactic, weak spots, and obligations of honour. You really feel like the beleaugered but indomitable christian commander or the languid but potent and fearsome muslim warrior-leader.

There is alot in here within a system of simple procedures. It seems to come together well and I can imagine quite different play from differently styled players.

It plays fast with a longer and a shorter (a cut-out of the whole action) scenario. Basically the whole campaign or a high-light of it. It also includes a fully fleshed out solo module of the shorter scenario. I hesitate to guesstimate average playing times since that always depends so much on the players but an afternoon or afternoon + evening is a definite safe bet for the full game.

I think this design will provide some interesting food for thought for other designers of sieges or wargames/sims in general.

And in response to a request for a summary of the game, yours truly posted this:

Quote:
Unaccustomed to public shilling as I am...

Thanks for the write-up Rich, and for the invite to wax (is that a pun?) lyrical about the game, Geoff.

Waning Crescent, Shattered Cross (WCSC) covers the 1565 Great Siege of Malta of which "Nothing is better known”, according to no less than Voltaire.

Well, that may well have been the case in the 18th Century but I for one had never heard of it – until, that is, I read ‘The Religion by Tim Willocks. This is a real ripping yarn of derring-do. Fun to read but clearly outrageous fiction – or is it? Read any historical account of the siege and you’ll soon find the tales of valour, cruelty and miraculous events that form the background to Tanhauser’s adventures are firmly set in reality. The siege is clearly a prime candidate for a Hollywood blockbuster.

Well, I’m no film maker (perhaps I should talk to Lance Steen Anthony Nielsen) but I could at least see whether I could design a game on the topic. There’s actually one already out there already, Knights of Justice (from the wargamer magazine), which appears fairly ‘traditional’ as wargames go. My game was going to use cards to generate a narrative that would hopefully capture some of the ‘boys own’ adventure that was The Great Siege of 1565. So, over two years from first being inspired to have a go at creating the game, what have we got?

WCSC is a one map, point-to-point, CDG. The Christians’ initial forces are limited in number and that player’s first decision is how to distribute this men to cover the five fortified areas available to him – St Elmo, Mdina, Senglea and Birgu/St Angelo. Some of the fortifications’preparations are incomplete and so a random distribution of ‘breaches’ will represent this. The Christians have a mix of Maltese peasants, men at arms/mercenaries, sergeants and Knights of St John.

The Ottoman player has the luxury of having the entirety of his massive force of levies, Ialyars, Spahis and janissaries, available to him/her. This starts encamped on the Marsa and that player’s first decision is where to focus their opening attack – and where to feint. There are three (randomly selected) strategies available to the Ottoman player: focus on Mdina, St Elmo (historical) or St Angelo. The Christians won’t know the Ottoman strategy and the Ottoman player is not obliged to follow it (though there are penalties if they don’t).

Each player starts with a hand of eight cards. The Ottoman opens by playing a card or selecting one or more additional cards from the main deck. Once a card is played, no further cards can be drawn that ‘phase’. The secret is to get the balance right between drawing the number of cards you want/need and avoiding drawing a ‘Week Ends’ card (there are several distributed amongst the deck). Having drawn any additional cards, and assuming the week does not end, the Ottoman plays his cards. He has a range of options for which cards can be played including (but not limited to) using them to move a force from one point (or the Camp) to another or for their events. The events cover the many amazing occurrences of the campaign – but a card’s success often is often random. The player can play as many of their cards as they wish. Whilst it will often be tempting to exhaust one’s hand, it is advisable to keep one or two cards back to counter Christian activities during their play. Play now switched to the Christian player who draws additional cards if they wish to and then plays their hand. They also have the move or event options for card play, along with a range of other possible actions (e.g. Repair Breach), some of which are common with the Ottoman and some of which are different.

Play flip/fops between players in this way until the dreaded ‘Week Ends’ card is drawn. Whilst not good news for the Christian player if they draw this card, as it effectively gives the Ottoman a double-turn, the Ottomans will come to hate and dread this card as it robs them of their most valuable asset – time.

The end of the week will see various weekly processes invoked including assaults on Mdina, possible recovery of casualties (the Christians get the benefit of their hospital in Birgu), disease losses and the possible outbreak of plague, supply adjustments, etc. Combat is divided into ranged fire and melee. Outflanking is possible and the use of supporting forces is crucial. If you’re lucky you’ll achieve an overwhelming attack, if you’re an unlucky Ottoman player you may see your attacks stalling. And naval assaults are possible too.

Maltese and men-at-arms defend the walls of Senglea from Ottoman Spahis and Ialyars*.

The siege element sees the building of trenches, artillery cross-fire, mining (and counter-mining) breaching of walls (and their repair), scaling and intrinsic fire.

During play each side’s morale can go up and down and the Ottoman also needs to concern themselves with maintaining their honour. Eventually one of three events will trigger the end of the game: Ottomans will have taken specified objectives, long promised and eagerly awaited Christian reinforcements will arrive from Sicily, or the Ottomans will be obliged to withdraw from the island.

That’s it in a nutshell.

If the game is a big success, who knows, the statement “Nothing is better known than the siege of Malta” may ring true again – at least in wargaming circles.

You can pre-order the game here: http://www.legionwargames.com/legion_WCR.html.

* Please note that the image is of playtest components.It is actually a detail from the playtest game Richard (Christians) is currently playing against Ian Metcalfe (Ottomans).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Ruiz
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy:

I just heard from a gaming podcast (The Board Game Design Lab - August 30 (at 10:45)) that the Metropolitan Museum of Art of New York just released 275,000 images to public domain of art of the 1500s. I haven't seen the images, yet, but wanted to let you know. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stukajoe wrote:
Andy:

I just heard from a gaming podcast (The Board Game Design Lab - August 30 (at 10:45)) that the Metropolitan just released 275,000 images to public domain of art of the 1500s. I haven't seen the images, yet, but wanted to let you know. Cheers.

Thanks Jose, that could be invaluable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy Gents,

Working on the Demyansk Vassal Module I am nearing the point where I'd like to include some nice artwork for the game buttons. But seeing it on the horizon I am thinking it might be fun for players to have some input into something they will be using for some time to come.

Therefore anyone who wishes to submit something to use for things like Game Charts and German and Soviet Set Up Charts feel free to submit your ideas (all I ask is that they be something that can be seen at 1/2 inch and 72 dpi.

Also, there are at least 2 rules questions sitting languishing on the Demyanks forums, one over a month old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
veritas nos liberabit
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Cundiff wrote:
Working on the Demyansk Vassal Module I am nearing the point where I'd like to include some nice artwork for the game buttons. But seeing it on the horizon I am thinking it might be fun for players to have some input into something they will be using for some time to come.

I usually use buttons which are simply labels written with a legible font. Sometimes I may want to add a small icon (flag, for example). A sample can be found on my site or here).

To keep my modules consistent, UI-wise, I stick to the same icon set, namely Font Awesome (http://www.flaticon.com/packs/font-awesome or http://fontawesome.io/icons/).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just made my 50th version of the beta-rules. Nemesis will turn out well-crafted and with high tension. It is almost done. Take a look at the (hopefully) final map:

http://kangerproject.com/burma/Burma.jpg

Preorder it here: http://www.legionwargames.com/legion_NEM.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
and heart of Darkness has made the cut
Hurrah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news abounds. Do we have a projected month for Blenheim's release yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More me, sorta looks like this....

1. Design interesting and accessible games. Starts here, plain and simple. Is on your shoulders. Not graphics. Not website. Not sales and marketing. Not us. Do this first, then the other items below might help....
2. Designers VERY active on BGG.
3. High quality components. Too many choices to waste $$ on cheapo stuff. Components includes an excellent, superb, clear, concise and pleasurable rule book.
4. Significant discount for preorders. Just saying'. Makes me buy sometimes.
5. Very clear delivery timelines. Show metrics for this. If game on pre-order for 12 years and only 34 orders (so, projection says, 2052), then I want to know and be able to compare quickly to other game that on pre-order for 2 days and has 1K+, which means something there vs. not.
6. Shoot the turkeys. Fast. If previously mentioned metric drops to turkeyville, then put it out of its misery. It just ain't gonna happen. Don't waste my time by showing it.
7. Newsletter. I like them. But don't junk it up with things that won't come out for 12 years. Wastes my time.
8. Advertise. I don't know, maybe. Works to be sure. But can be a colossal waste if not targeted and timed correctly.
I bought a dozen or so war-games this year (maybe more). I bought at least one from Legion (basically a new release of a popular game I wanted but out for print for years). I bought it because I saw mentioned on this site somewhere. I bought it because it was shipping. I bought it because I was motivated by the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
popmon wrote:
More me, sorta looks like this....

1. Design interesting and accessible games. Starts here, plain and simple. Is on your shoulders. Not graphics. Not website. Not sales and marketing. Not us. Do this first, then the other items below might help....
2. Designers VERY active on BGG.
3. High quality components. Too many choices to waste $$ on cheapo stuff. Components includes an excellent, superb, clear, concise and pleasurable rule book.
4. Significant discount for preorders. Just saying'. Makes me buy sometimes.
5. Very clear delivery timelines. Show metrics for this. If game on pre-order for 12 years and only 34 orders (so, projection says, 2052), then I want to know and be able to compare quickly to other game that on pre-order for 2 days and has 1K+, which means something there vs. not.
6. Shoot the turkeys. Fast. If previously mentioned metric drops to turkeyville, then put it out of its misery. It just ain't gonna happen. Don't waste my time by showing it.
7. Newsletter. I like them. But don't junk it up with things that won't come out for 12 years. Wastes my time.
8. Advertise. I don't know, maybe. Works to be sure. But can be a colossal waste if not targeted and timed correctly.
I bought a dozen or so war-games this year (maybe more). I bought at least one from Legion (basically a new release of a popular game I wanted but out for print for years). I bought it because I saw mentioned on this site somewhere. I bought it because it was shipping. I bought it because I was motivated by the game.

Agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken your advice save for one thing, the Charts Button. Can't think of anything unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy Gents,

One of the most important things I learned as an overhaul manager was to learn to ask questions of technicians who knew more than you do and be guided by them.

I'm only learning Vassal and finding it's awfully complicated. I want to make a good job of the Demyansk module so every owner will find it easy to use, it works well, and both Randy and Vance can be proud of what they created.

So, I want to ask people here who know Vassal for help. I've posted to the Vassal forums but I think maybe my questions seem "pedestrian" to those gents. At least several of my questions have met with silence.

Question:

1. There is a handful of German units that are described as "untried". In game terms the German player places units drawn from a "cup" onto the board in specific set up positions without knowing the ultimate strength of that unit. The opponent doesn't know either.

What I think needs done is to create a "draw deck" that contains the various possible counters (units) on the board in a Zone. From that deck, the German player can randomly draw those units during Set Up, and at any time in the Reinforcement turns following when such "Untried" units appear. The stack must contain at start ALL of the possible units, though as time passes on, the number left in the stack (or deck) dwindles until you are left with the final one. The deck cannot be renewed. Also, the "drawn card" or counter must be visible only to the German player until revealed by that player.

So, how to I properly construct such a "deck" so that it renews the mix (reshuffles) with each beginning of a new game?

2. How do I properly choose the correct "Available Trait" to get a unit sent to a "Dead Pool" (in fact there are multiple in the case of the Soviets). There are separate Zones for each Dead Pool.

3. How do you get the Hex Grid Numbering system to properly number a hex grid when there's only one corner to the map that ... well is rather like a corner, while the other three "corners" are odd-ball shaped. In other words the hex grid is not square. Three of the four corners are "cut off" sort of like a swept wing on a Delta 106. Those who have Demyansk know what I'm describing.

I'd surely enjoy having someone, an "advisor", willing to guide me here and there. Randy has more than enough things on his plate making games for us, I am hoping to learn enough and become skilled enough to relieve him of least this one very time consuming task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  142 , 143 , 144 , 145 , 146  Next »  [146] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.