Subject: SmallWorld with Minatures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have 4 different versions of risk and I thought to myself, Why not use those tiny risk sized mini's instead of the cardboard chits? Standing up active, on side, in decline. The only issue is that you'd have to paint a large number of mini's to match the races in smallworld. But I thought I'ld ask you guys what you thought of the idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like to play that way, go for it. As for me, I prefer the cardboard chits as they are very colorful, thematic, and make counting conquest requirements easier IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rkcpek wrote:
I have 4 different versions of risk and I thought to myself, Why not use those tiny risk sized mini's instead of the cardboard chits? Standing up active, on side, in decline. The only issue is that you'd have to paint a large number of mini's to match the races in smallworld. But I thought I'ld ask you guys what you thought of the idea?

Sounds like a TON of work, for something that (for me) wouldn't enhance the fun of the game very much. Why would I want to push little soldiers and cannons around the board and say, "OK, are those your Halflings, or Joe's Amazons?"

I think I'll stick with the tokens. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly don't think it would be that fun with miniatures mainly based on the Smallworld combat system. In Risk, pushing a large army across the board is 'fun.' You're not really pushing armies through Smallworld as it's pick up and place. Also, factoring in the exchange of army sets seem so tedious

I'm sure the game would look prettier with minis (done right) but considering all the negatives, it seems not worth it. But personal projects are always fun, so give it a try and detail/picture the process -- I'm sure a lot of of us will enjoy the read/pictures, skeptics and pro-mini alike.

Negatives -- cost, uniqueness, time-consumption, doesn't add much to the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently the thread directly below yours in the General Forums is this.
I'm surprised you started this instead of just jumping in on that conversation. (?) If you are looking for input from the community on this topic there's plenty of it happening right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
egamar wrote:
T'interweb has long been a write-only medium.

Who *is* General Failure, and why is he reading my 'A' drive?
Hey there, don't make me complain about you on my local BBS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
egamar wrote:
Do you know how difficult it is to get a iPhone to fit an acoustic coupler?
Strangely, yes. Roomie is a guitar enthusiast and apple fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.