Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

18Scan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Minor Company sells train, earnings go where? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Schmidt
Sweden
Sundsvall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a minor company sells a train to a company, how are these earnings handled? is it split 50/50 as from train runs or does the minor keep it all?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The minor keeps it all since it is only dividends that are shared out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Schmidt
Sweden
Sundsvall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulclarke339 wrote:
The minor keeps it all since it is only dividends that are shared out.


But the def. of a dividend is;

"A dividend is a payment made by a corporation to its shareholders, usually as a distribution of profits." Wikipedia(2013),

and isn't the earnings of selling a train counted as profits?!



Wikipedia(2013). Dividend. Retrieved 2013-09-29 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dividend
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sweden_guy wrote:
paulclarke339 wrote:
The minor keeps it all since it is only dividends that are shared out.


But the def. of a dividend is;

"A dividend is a payment made by a corporation to its shareholders, usually as a distribution of profits." Wikipedia(2013),

and isn't the earnings of selling a train counted as profits?!



Wikipedia(2013). Dividend. Retrieved 2013-09-29 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dividend


No.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't make up rules from random dictionary definitions.

Only earnings from operating are shared out, money coming in from sales of trains (or anything else) is straight to company treasury in every 18xx I can think of.

B>
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Schmidt
Sweden
Sundsvall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I just can't find it spelled out in the rules and then the only thing I have to go on is the semantics of the words that are used. Having said that, I don't think using word definitions is quite the same as making up rules. But i do appreciate the help :)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sweden_guy wrote:
Ok, I just can't find it spelled out in the rules and then the only thing I have to go on is the semantics of the words that are used. Having said that, I don't think using word definitions is quite the same as making up rules. But i do appreciate the help :)


The rules are very specific. In 7.4 it describes earnings (through operating trains on routes), in 7.5 it described how those earnings are shared out for either Minor Companies (50/50) or Corporations (Withhold or pay fully). It is not until 8 that the rules describe train buying as a simple payment to either the bank or another company. This is not 'earnings' or 'profit' and there is no sharing it out, which is why nothing about that exists in 8.

18xx rules tend to be pretty precise.

B>
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Schmidt
Sweden
Sundsvall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Bruce, I now see that there is a def. for earnings and that it does not include cash for sold trains :)

I appear to be developing (scary) issues with attention, just head over to 18OE and look at my thread "Why it is called OE when it's set in Europe", you'll see what I mean ;)

Cheers :)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sweden_guy wrote:
isn't the earnings of selling a train counted as profits?!

Jens, I will second the recommendation to beware of dictionary definitions in trying to understand things, but I will also make another comment.

Generally, when a company sells a piece of capital equipment, it gains cash but must write down the value of that asset (since it no longer owns the asset.) As a result, selling capital equipment does not result in profit as a general rule.

Now, it's possible that you might sell it for more or less than it is valued as an asset on your books, so you might recognize either a profit or a loss. But that's a fine point.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.