Subject: Anyone else feel one more round would be great? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got five plays in, and in every case wished for another round or two.

Your thoughts on adding one more round? Two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skifreak737 wrote:
I've got five plays in, and in every case wished for another round or two.

Your thoughts on adding one more round? Two?

I promise that with each new round added, you'll want at least one more. It's the nature of this type of game. It has to end at some point, and you'll always feel like you needed one more round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is great tension in the game as is. Adding an extra round would create a anti-climatic final round where player are just scrambling for point which would reduce the tense racing for point game end. I believe this game is meant to be a quick light/medium weight game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your points.
Maybe we'll score as per the rules and then push one more round just for fun some time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing our 2p spliting the deck in 4 rather than 5, for the sake of simlicity. So roughly, we play an extra round on a regular basis, possibly 2.

... granted that we play a variant with threats present at game start, which makes the early game harder, I haven't really noticed this to be detrimental to the end game tension. But I would say one round would be the max to go on for, otherwise canal strategies would suffer by giving more time for players less focused on that to still bag almost as many points.

So, you could for example decide, playing with the normal rules, that the round the extra stack enters the game is not the final round, but the next one is. You would however take away the possibility for the player in the lead to dig a pile to trigger the end game as abruptly as Feld designed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gilutin
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time we played, I mistakenly set up the cards so that we played 4/5 deck before starting last round rather than 3/5.
The scores were higher but the game went too long.
Play as written and, if you enjoy it so much, play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.