Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Casinghino
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading through the rules once, my initial reaction was confusion about why a player would ever take an exploration turn when they didn't need one of the orbit phase actions. Looking at the tables, I found a +2 on the surprise rolls for being on combat turns (which admittedly is a substantial penalty).

So, can someone confirm my understanding that the bad parts about being on combat turns are:

- No orbital phase actions
- Surprise penalty
- Cost movement

Did I miss anything?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cost movement isn't really a penalty unless the reentry timer has started, because you can always just take another combat turn if you run out of MA with no hostiles on the map.

On the other hand, the surprise penalty is crippling. If you trigger Discovery in combat turns there's even odds on finding something (total of 6 potential encounter chits spread over 6 die results) and it will surprise you half the time. If you trigger ambushes it's worse, as the chances go way up that you'll run into hostiles rather than a toolkit or event.

But don't take my word for it, try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Casinghino
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I definitely believe that the surprise penalty is crippling, just wanted to make sure I got the rules right.

I got everything punched and set up today, and finished reading the rules. Should be able to get in my first game tomorrow night. Very excited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.