Nations» Forums » Rules

Subject: a few rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got to read the complete rules, by using my wife's computer instead.

Overall, I think that both the game and the rules were very well done; I really want to play the game NOW!
But I have a couple things that don't quite make sense to me, or I'm missing something.

1) Why is 'famine' separate from the food calculation in the production phase? The rules example shows a food calculation that already shows 6 or 7 numbers combined to get the total: why not just subtract one more number for famine? Turn order, War and Events happen between Production and Famine; is there something that would change a simple single number subtraction?

2) The effects for negative stability, on the other hand, could have a separate phase in the turn order (lose 1 VP, lose books = negative stability). I don't think that this shows on the player aid card, and it may be easy to forget as part of the Production phase.

3) A small detail: the rules say to do the production in the order shown on the player aid card "(stone, gold, food and books)", whereas the player aid card looks like it shows gold then food then stone then books. (It's not in front of me, hope I quoted it correctly.) I assume it does not actually matter, except maybe to do books last?

Again, it looks like a great game - hoping to preorder in Canada soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
New version of Tribes from Kosmos at Spiel 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Martin wrote:

Overall, I think that both the game and the rules were very well done; I really want to play the game NOW!

Great, thanks!

Dave Martin wrote:

1) Why is 'famine' separate from the food calculation in the production phase? The rules example shows a food calculation that already shows 6 or 7 numbers combined to get the total: why not just subtract one more number for famine? Turn order, War and Events happen between Production and Famine; is there something that would change a simple single number subtraction?

We have tested many different ways to order The main reason that it is better to have it after events than included in the main production is that players sometimes forgot to include famine when checking how much food they produced. Everything else you produce is on the player board, but famine is on the events card. For some of the events it matters that famine is after events as well, giving more ways to handle food shortage and increasing competition.

Dave Martin wrote:

2) The effects for negative stability, on the other hand, could have a separate phase in the turn order (lose 1 VP, lose books = negative stability). I don't think that this shows on the player aid card, and it may be easy to forget as part of the Production phase.

It is rare to have negative stability, when you have it you will really try to fix it and you will remember if you prioritized something else. We have not seen any issues with including this in the main production. Keeping the number of phases down helps speed up the game, one less thing to have to check and pass.

Dave Martin wrote:

3) A small detail: the rules say to do the production in the order shown on the player aid card "(stone, gold, food and books)", whereas the player aid card looks like it shows gold then food then stone then books. (It's not in front of me, hope I quoted it correctly.) I assume it does not actually matter, except maybe to do books last?

Oops, misprint, added in the Minor notes. The rules show an older ordering. Use the one on the player aid. The order is not at all important (except if you are almost out of books and produce too little of something else, but I do not think this happened even once during all playtesting). The reason this order is shown at all is to help remember what you should produce, and to help avoid missing something. Some players remember this immediately and never have to check, some check the list every production phase even after having played many games. Brains work differently
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate (and I'm sure others do as well) how much you've participated here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
RustanR wrote:

Dave Martin wrote:

It is rare to have negative stability, when you have it you will really try to fix it and you will remember if you prioritized something else. We have not seen any issues with including this in the main production. Keeping the number of phases down helps speed up the game, one less thing to have to check and pass.

In our first game we missed this rule and one player just made their stability very negative. It would have been nice to have it on the player aid but we will remember for later games. (clearly they only ignored stability because we were unaware of this rule)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat McLaughlin
Australia
Canberra
A.C.T.
flag msg tools
badge
What's another word for Thesaurus?
mbmbmbmbmb
We missed it in our first game last night too. One of the three players stayed around -10 stability and won the game by a fair margin. I must admit we were a bit surprised by the apparent lack of consequences for having an unstable nation!

Oh well, we know for next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Johnson
United States
Pleasant Hill
IA
flag msg tools
So am I correct in saying that if you have negative 4 stability you would lose one vp and 4 books? Just checking that I inderstand this rule. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Hannula
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
The probabilistic nature of being
badge
Truthful speech, proper understanding, unselfish action
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. That's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Johnson
United States
Pleasant Hill
IA
flag msg tools
Thank you Raf! This is one of my new favorite games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
terry chang
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aliase wrote:
So am I correct in saying that if you have negative 4 stability you would lose one vp and 4 books? Just checking that I inderstand this rule. Thanks.

oh, we always play lose 4 vp and 4 books..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.