17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: My tastes are specific, and therein lies the problem... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Oswald
msg tools
Hi,

So I've read through many posts that closely resemble the problem I'm having so I thought I'd just put it out to the masses and see what turns up.

My friends and I started with Descent 2e and loved it. We enjoyed the campaign, charachter progression and overall feel. The one downside was one of us would be the Overlord and so naturally, animosity and arguments would erupt on rules, regulations and even fortuitous dice rolls ('this isn't fair! you keep getting surges!')

We bought Mage Knight and as cool as it is, we found it frustrating and it didn't last more than a week.

Now we're on D&D - Castle Ravenloft to be specific. While it has all four of us working together toward a common goal and is as infuriationg at times as it is enjoyable, sadly it doesn't have the progression we crave. One hour quest and then start over.

So, after all that, here's my question of a very specific nature;

Is there a game, a board game (we love the minis) that has the charachter progression of a Descent-type game as well as the ability to not have a DM, whereas we're all working together.

Thank you got reading this and I'm sorry if there's any spelling errors.

ps. On a personal note, I love the combat and dice rolling. I enjoy rolling a 1d20 to see if I hit and then a 1d6 to allocate damage. I like finding a new weapon and testing it out. I like seeing friends get staronger, learn new skills and feel connected to their characters. I enjoy the interaction with my friends and the cheers (or groans) as we do the slow math and realise we're victorious, or we've failed.
That's what it's all about for me.

Nexx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Mice and Mystics: Heart of Glorm orLords of Waterdeep? I think this post might be better on the board game tab not the rpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game that comes to mind is Dungeon!. It gives you all of the dungeon crawl experience, but without the GM.

As has been mentioned, it seems as though your group really hasn't adapted to RPGs. There is likely a boardgame that has what you want and if you ask on the BGG site you will have better luck at finding it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Dungeon Run? There are reviews...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Oswald
msg tools
Sorry, I thoguht I was posing in a boardgame area.. it's been one of those days for me.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I appreciate them all.

note: Just discovered a game called Pathfinder: Adventure Card Game which seems to have most of the aspects I'm looking for.

Have a good weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it's time to move to a more RPGish game.

For fantasy, you have to, as you have surmised by your post location, make the transition to RPG's. I'll come back to this.

For Sci-Fi, however, there are a bunch of hybrid designs &/or interlocking board-game & RPG designs.

Hybrids: Battlestations!, Car Wars (get the compendium), Jovian Chronicles†, Heavy Gear†, Mekton II, Mekton Zeta, Inquisitor

Interlocking: Classic Traveller, Traveller: The New Era, Battletech/Mechwarrior, WEG Star Wars

On fantasy, it's time to move to a full fledged RPG with highly tactical combat.

D&D 3.X or 4.X can fill that niche easily - and playing the Castle Ravenloft board game, you're already halfway familiar with the mechanics

The Fantasy Trip, tho' it is long out of print, is a hybrid design - the combat engine (Melee) is a board game, the magic module is also a board game (Wizard), but the character module and GMing rules are in In The Labyrinth. A light version, probably perfect for what you are aiming for, was a hybrid of Melee, Wizard, and the character module from ItL, and was called Dragons of Underearth.

GURPS 1E and Dragonquest‡ both have tactical combat systems that were broken out into separate boardgames. GURPS you'll want the Fantasy book for monsters and such. Hero System's tactical combat is just as good, and the Fantasy Hero setting book provides a bunch of classic fantasy monsters.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Notes
† In prior editions both the boardgame and RPG were in one book; current editions are not.
‡ DQ is LONG out of print
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexxt wrote:

Is there a game, a board game (we love the minis) that has the charachter progression of a Descent-type game as well as the ability to not have a DM, whereas we're all working together.

Warhammer Quest is specifically designed with this in mind. It has cards and dungeon tiles so that you can randomly create a dungeon as you explore without a GM. The rules provide "AI" for the monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
omnicrondelicious
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds a lot like Warhammer Quest to me.

The Good:
Lots of combat, dice rolling, character progression, equipment load-out decisions, miniatures. It's collaborative, and GM-less. It has a high amount of replayability because of the numerous class/spell/treasure/ability combinations.

The Bad:
- It's out of print. (I ended up making my own set of dungeon tiles out of foamcore. Minis from other games work very well.)
- It's not balanced. Some classes are better than others. Much of the game is very random, especially treasure and character progression. One moment your character can be pathetic, and then one lucky magic item or roll when leveling up and suddenly you're overshadowing the rest of the party (Wizard with the Chalice of Sorcery and the Freeze spell, I'm lookin' at you!).
- No, really. It's incredibly random. When you go to town and go shopping, there's a random event table you roll on which has everything from you being forced into marriage to getting mugged and your money stolen to gaining health from a particularly therapeutic steam bath.
- It's lethal as hell, especially at level 1.

Neither Good nor Bad
There's a fair amount of dark comedy woven in throughout the game. It's a bit campy. Our group finds it funny as hell, your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark City Games, Inc. publish a free set of rules, Legends of the Ancient World, which emulates The Fantasy Trip. It has several adventures available. It's fairly basic and if you're looking for something more meaty in the same vein later you could try Heroes & Other Worlds, which is similar but more fleshed out.

You could also try using the Mythic Game Master Emulator with one of the free fantasy RPGs: Microlite74, Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry, or Basic Fantasy Role Playing Game.

Edit:
I think that you posting here was serendipitous. What you're looking for may well be satisfied by one of the more tactical-minded role playing games in combination with random generation tables and/or a GM emulator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not out yet, but Myth might fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Oswald
msg tools
Thanks everyone.

All excellent advice and I'll have to check out al lthe games mentioned.
I forgot to say that we've played Warhammer Quest (my buddy got a mint boxed version at a garage sale for $10.) and you're right, it's brutal. We played it so all our chars started at lvl 2 fighting level 1 monsters. It made it better but once we started getting to higher levels, it was just getting bananas.

Like I said, my tastes are so specific it's most likely I won't find the Exact game that I crave, but with everything out there, I may be able to find something new and exciting.

You all kick ass.

-Nexx-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider using the WQ components with the Mthic GM Emulator. That would provide everything you need to bolt onto an RPG system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from RPGG: General Role-Playing to BGG: Suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set would be just the thing for you if you could get over it using cards rather than a board and the lack of minis (though we actually use our own minis to represent our characters)

It's got plenty of combat, and as you play multiple scenarios your characters gain skills, weapons, spells etc. The charcter progression is probably the most compelling aspect for me - since it arrived its pretty much all we've fancied playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Key West
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nexxt wrote:
Hi,

So I've read through many posts that closely resemble the problem I'm having so I thought I'd just put it out to the masses and see what turns up.

My friends and I started with Descent 2e and loved it. We enjoyed the campaign, charachter progression and overall feel. The one downside was one of us would be the Overlord and so naturally, animosity and arguments would erupt on rules, regulations and even fortuitous dice rolls ('this isn't fair! you keep getting surges!')

We bought Mage Knight and as cool as it is, we found it frustrating and it didn't last more than a week.

Now we're on D&D - Castle Ravenloft to be specific. While it has all four of us working together toward a common goal and is as infuriationg at times as it is enjoyable, sadly it doesn't have the progression we crave. One hour quest and then start over.

So, after all that, here's my question of a very specific nature;

Thank you got reading this and I'm sorry if there's any spelling errors.

ps. On a personal note, I love the combat and dice rolling. I enjoy rolling a 1d20 to see if I hit and then a 1d6 to allocate damage. I like finding a new weapon and testing it out. I like seeing friends get staronger, learn new skills and feel connected to their characters. I enjoy the interaction with my friends and the cheers (or groans) as we do the slow math and realise we're victorious, or we've failed.
That's what it's all about for me.

Nexx

Actually, a high-tech solution for you will debut late next year. Reasons below.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/technicalillusions/casta...

1) There are already tons of RPG'ish games being developed for this system (heck, I may try my hand even).
2) You can play with physical minis and interact with your friends around a table.
3) Since the GM of the game will be a computer program, expect a level of variability, depth, and expansion you cannot achieve via a board game.
4) No setup, breakdown, or prep. Yay!
5) Lastly, for the full-fledged RPG experience, you can game with folks online using their new RPG stretch goal/dungeon thingee (long story short: your GM can be some random dude/dudette online so none of you actually have to be the GM).

I've very excited about this hybrid project. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game?

It has a campaign mode and even lets you do things like go to town and shop for gear in between missions.

I bought a Gamemastery map pack like this: http://paizo.com/products/btpy8oxm?GameMastery-Map-Pack-Shop...

and my group plays out the shopping experience with minis and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like Pathfinder is sort of a puzzle game with leveling elements. It doesn't quite feel like an epic campaign to me. We love playing it, but each scenario and situation is an analysis of the cards and locations currently available.

entwife wrote:
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set would be just the thing for you if you could get over it using cards rather than a board and the lack of minis (though we actually use our own minis to represent our characters)

It's got plenty of combat, and as you play multiple scenarios your characters gain skills, weapons, spells etc. The charcter progression is probably the most compelling aspect for me - since it arrived its pretty much all we've fancied playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.