Gábor Valló
Hungary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to encourage everyone to play 1848-1849: Hungary Fights for Freedom, I’ll post a detailed AAR of a game I played recently. I’d love to say it was a typical game, but it wasn’t. I had some luck with the sequence of the early cards, which allowed me to implement a new strategy that gave me considerable advantages. You’ll see.

As always you can place the markers on he map and move them as the game unfolds.

After doing the setup, the map should look like this:

WINTER

Turn 1: Áron Gábor’s cannons (#1) – 4 actions

The invasion is started by smaller enemy corps as Schlik moves to Kassa (Morale drops to 6) and Nugent to Nagykanizsa. However, cannon production starts in Transylvania that gives a bonus Morale (to 7) and a +1 DRM to Bem’s army. (Iancu would be flipped, but he’s already weaker.)

Since Bem has +2 overall, I attack with him. A roll of 4 (with bonuses) defeats Puchner: Kolozsvár is freed (Morale 9). Bem continues to attack: a roll of 4 is enough to make Puchner retreat to Székelyföld, but Bem’s army is weakened to -3. The Bánátian army attacks Knićanin (Morale would be at risk if he stays on his stronger side), a roll of 5 flips him down. Now I implement a strategy that I haven’t tried yet: an attempt to capture the enemy fort of Arad. For that purpose I redeploy a division from the Bánátian army to the fort (the army is reduced to -2).

With the arrival of the division, I flip Arad’s fortress marker to its +1 side. A new division is ready.

Turn 2: Mission to Windisch-Grätz (#3) – 2 actions

I don’t want the event, so Windisch-Grätz advances to Pozsony. Puchner recaptures Marosvásárhely, while the Serb rebellion strengthens again: Knićanin is flipped back to his stronger side.

I send the new division to Bem’s army to replace his losses. The first siege attempt against Arad is successful with a roll of 6. 1 Siege Point is placed on the fort.

At the end of turn I need to roll for Morale because Knićanin is strong: a roll of 4 yields no penalty. Bem’s army increases to -2. Recruitment of a new division starts: with 2 factories the division is placed in the Recruitment 2 box.

Turn 3: The Constitution of Olmütz (#9) – 3 actions

Windisch-Grätz continues to Komárom and the Morale is reduced to 8. Nugent’s army captures Eszék, so the Morale drops to 7.

As I don’t want Puchner to recapture Kolozsvár, I attack him with Bem. A roll of 1 means defeat. I want to continue the siege of Arad as well: with a roll of 4, another SP is placed. Since there are 2 SPs on the fort, Morale is increased to 8. With my final action, I return to Bem. With a roll of 5, the attack against Puchner is successful: the enemy retreats to the Székelyföld.

I must roll for Morale again: 5, nothing. The new division is ready.

Turn 4: Russian intervention in Transylvania (#7) – 3 actions

Schlik advances to Miskolc (it will be hard to stop him if I want), Nugent to Pétervárad. Since Windisch-Grätz stands on Komárom, I must roll for the siege as the card dictates. A roll of 5 yields 1 SP for the enemy. Iancu is flipped to his stronger side, and the Russian intervention gives a -1 penalty to Bem’s army.

Bem is too weak now to attack, so I turn my attention to Knićanin. An attack against him fails (roll of 2), the next attempt is successful (roll of 6): Knićanin is flipped to his weaker side. As my last action I redeploy the new division to Bem.

A roll of 2 causes Morale to decrease to 7. Bem receives the division (his army is now at -1). A new division is placed in the Recruitment 2 box.

Turn 5: Organization of the northern army (#6) – 4 actions

Windisch-Grätz continues relentlessly and captures Budapest, which causes a significant loss of Morale (to 5). Todorović advances to Temesvár. Fortunately I gain Klapka (he’s placed to northern army) and a free division in the Reserve.

I couldn’t carry on the siege of Arad last turn, so I do it now: a roll of 3 means no result. Before trying again, I attack Iancu with Bem, but the offensive fails on a roll of 1. Maybe a Raise Morale action would do the trick: a roll of 4 increases Morale to 6. With my fourth action I roll on the siege again, and with a lucky roll (6) I capture the fort! Morale is now 7, the besieging division is placed back to the Bánátian army. As the game will show, the capture of Arad was a turning point that made my life a lot easier later. Finally, I decide to push my luck and use the Comissars marker: with the bonus action I roll an attack with Bem vs Iancu: the roll is 4, Iancu is flipped down.

At the end of turn, the Bánátian army rises to -1. The new division is ready, now there are two unused divisions in the Reserve. They are much needed…

Turn 6: Proclamation of Vác (#4) – 2 actions

An event card with long lasting negative effects. Since both Windisch-Grätz and Schlik are activated, they reach Gyöngyös at the same time. The two armies unite: I remove Schlik and flip Windisch-Grätz to the strength 8 side. Since Kassa is now free, I receive a Morale point (8). Now it will be harder to attack Windisch-Grätz, but attack I must, otherwise the Hungarian government will possibly consider Görgei a traitor (symbolized by a Morale loss). His seemingly monarchist proclamation instantly drops my Morale back to 7. Then Nugent is activated by the card and besieges Pétervárad, to no avail (roll of 4).

I’m getting worried about Windisch-Grätz’s approach, so I use both of my actions to redeploy the two divisions from the Reserve to Görgei’s army.

Since Görgei didn’t attack, at the end of the turn I must roll for Morale: a roll of 4 means no effect. Görgei’s army is now at +1. Recruitment of a new division is started in the 2 box.

Turn 7: Sardinia’s political support (#5) – 4 actions

Puchner returns to Marosvásárhely, while Todorović advances to the now Hungarian-held Arad. The Italian support increases Morale to 8 and makes further increases easier this turn.

I don’t want to miss the opportunity, so I roll for Morale: a roll of 6 means Morale is now 9. I try an attack with Bem (I don’t want Puchner to capture Kolizsvár again), but the roll of 2 is too low for success. Then I continue the strengthening of Görgei by redeploying Klapka from the northern army to the main army. Because the two armies are so close to each other (standing in Miskolc and Tiszafüred, only two spaces apart), Klapka arrives instantly, giving +1 to Görgei. For my last action, I attack with Görgei, but Windisch-Grätz holds ground with a roll of 2.

At last, a turn without Morale rolls... The new division is ready.

Turn 8: Šupljikac’s voivodeship (#2) – 3 actions

The Voivode encourages the Serbian insurgents: Knićanin is flipped back and Todorović would advance as well – if there wasn’t the fort of Arad to stop him! He makes a laughable attempt at siege (roll of 2). However, Windisch-Grätz’s army moves to Tiszafüred, only one space from Debrecen. I need to defend my capital quickly.

Naturally, Görgei tries to stop the Austrians, but achieves nothing (roll of 3). The next attack is an even greater failure (roll of 1), but this time I reroll the attack. The reroll is a 5, so Windisch-Grätz is pushed back to Gyöngyös in a desperate counterattack. I must reduce Görgei’s army to +0. Finally I redeploy the new division to Görgei – defending Debrecen is now first priority.

Knićanin demands a Morale roll, which is 5 (nothing). Görgei is again at +1. A new division is placed in the Recruitment 2 box.

Turn 9: Dembiński arrives (#8) – 3 actions

The last turn of Winter brings bad luck as Iancu is flipped back as well. Encouraged by his Rumanian allies, Puchner takes Kolozsvár (Morale drops to 7). The Austrian force around Komárom makes a siege attempt, which fails on a roll of 4. Then disaster strikes as the politicians in Debrecen appoint the inept Dembiński commander of the Main Army, making further attacks against Windisch-Grätz virtually impossible.

Time to do something about the ethnic rebellions. Bem attacks Iancu, and with a roll of 3 makes him to be flipped. The Bánátian army attacks Knićanin, with the same result. Then I use my last action to free Kolozsvár from Puchner: a roll of 3 means success (Puchner retreats, Morale is now 9), but at a cost: Bem’s army is reduced to -2.

No Morale rolls at the end of turn. The new division is ready.

I've survived Winter! Now the situation looks like this:

I still need to clear the country from enemies before the Russians arrive.

To be continued...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david mackay
United Kingdom
WARWICK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have at last managed to lead the gallant Hungarians, but sadly to ignominious defeat in the third Spring turn (yes, that soon). I naturally blame the goddess Historia for the order of the event cards; ‘The Proclamation Of Vac’ event on Turn 2 was a bit of a blow. but I know/strongly suspect that some of my decisions were less than optimal, and I have to admit that I may have misapplied one or two rules, despite the fact that they are quite simple in fact .National morale rose and fell; mostly fell of course and although my attempts to compensate for the lack of divisions (or by the mis-management of their distribution) by ‘Inspire The Army ’ DRs, using precious Action Points to do so, more often than not fell on deaf ears, as it were, the Austrians must have been impressed by the ability of the rebels to roll sixes to save the day. Nevertheless, under my command the poor Hungarians seem to have been caught between a rock and several hard places. blush

I can only do better next time . Excellent game, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gábor Valló
Hungary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, David!

I know it sounds evil, but I'm in fact happy that the game won. As I will mention in the AAR as well, I have the awkward feeling that the game is too easy, and any experience to the contrary satisfies me a bit.

Yes, in Winter the sequence of the two events Proclamation of Vác and Dembinski arrives can be crucial. If the former is drawn early when the Main Army is not ready yet for a counterattack, it can mean a significant loss of Morale.

I'm not entirely sure about the usefulness of the Inspire the Army action - as you can see from my AAR, I almost never use it. It might be good if you have many actions in the turn and roll well. But it certainly does not substitute for divisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.