5 Posts

Nations» Forums » General

Subject: Nations Dev 32: Cards - Islamic World rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Einar Rosén
msg tools
mbmb
Here are some of the cards in Nations that are inspired by the Islamic world. To me these three cards represents to me some of the quintessential aspects of this culture which is; technological advancements, beautiful architecture and expansionism

Alhazen
Alhazen was a great scholar who lived in 10th-11th century. His most influential works were in the field of optics and scientific method. His works has greatly influenced later scientific developments. Interestingly he was also appointed to regulate the Nile by building a dam. However he failed to find a practical solution for this problem and to avoid the caliphs anger he feigned madness. After the caliph died he managed to prove his sanity and continued to write profusely.
In Nations we thought that his once per round function both was a interesting effect as well as a nod to his works in optics. You can both use this effect to swap the cards that you want to buy to a cheaper place as well as switching up the cards that you think that the other Nations might be interested in.

Alhambra
Built as both a fortress and a palace Alhambra is famous for its beauty. It incorporates Islamic arabesque art and calligraphy beautifully together with its fountain and pond filled gardens. Alhambra has been built on by several Muslim rulers and the alterations increased in scope and effect after it was conquered by Christian monarchs. Towards the 19th century restoration was started and Alhambra became a very important source of inspiration for the romantic architecture.
The function of the card was also mainly chosen because of it being a source of inspiration for architecture, literature and music. It's effect is perhaps not the strongest in the game but if there is strong competition for the architects it can be of useful help. When combined with the cheap building cost and its victory point make this perhaps one of the more popular age 2 wonders.

Byzantine-Arab War
Technically it was not a single but a series of wars that spanned over a prolonged time. Only a few of those attacks would threaten Constantinople itself which was protected by the famous Theodosian walls. Later the fortunes would turn and the Byzantines could even launch counteroffensives. But these counteroffensives would not allow the Byzantine empire to regain its extensive territorial losses. As for wars Byzantine-Arab War is a bit weaker than most of the Wars in age 2.

Nations designer diary index (complete, 40 entries)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I right in saying that Alhazen's once per round is the only thing you can do with an action, so the card you've just made cheap can easily be taken by one of your opponents?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Rise and fall of Anvalor, designed by me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhtoff wrote:
Am I right in saying that Alhazen's once per round is the only thing you can do with an action, so the card you've just made cheap can easily be taken by one of your opponents?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhtoff wrote:

It would seem so. Still, I think there are situations where this ability could be useful. For instance, if your opponent is gearing up for a high-strength war you could swap it to a position on the 3-money row to make it more costly for him. Or if you can wait until everyone else has passed or is out of gold, you can bring a card down from the 3-money row to make it more affordable.

Edit: ninja'd ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Rise and fall of Anvalor, designed by me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is useful, sometimes very interesting and has the potential/threat to seriously annoy opponents and force them to play differently. It is not all-powerful in any way though, the book production is the main effect of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.