Subject: PBF Introduction Discussion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: See the current version at http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/tworoomsandaboom_pbf/rule...

I feel like the rules players copy and paste at the top of each page could be improved. I don't think they've been edited in the last 15-20 games.

When I joined PBF, I felt like they were fairly long. There's a lot of rules, but I tried to consolidate the rules and make the leader and reveal sections clearer. I'm posting my edited copy, though changes can still be made (especially in sections currently being discussed).

Introduction
Two Rooms and a Boom is a social deduction game with hidden roles. There are two teams, the Red Team and the Blue Team. Players are equally distributed between two rooms/separate play areas.

The game consists of 5 timed rounds. At the end of each round, some players will be transferred into opposing rooms. At the end of the game, if the Red Team’s Bomber is in the same room as the Blue Team's President, then the Red Team wins. Otherwise the Blue Team wins.

How to Play

The moderator will create two different "room" threads for each round (like "PBF#1 - The Bunker Round 1" and "PBF#1 - The Command Post Round 1") and a "main" thread (this one) where the mod keeps track of transfers. Players are randomly assigned rooms and roles by private message. Each PBF round is 24 hours.

All players assigned into a room MUST NOT look at the other room's thread. Players may discuss the game in their assigned room and bold any game-related actions they take.

During the round, the leader should send a private message to the moderator choosing a certain number of hostages (depending on the round and number of players) to send to the other room at the end of the round.

This can be changed as necessary during the round without penalty, but must be done before the round ends. For the next round, the mod will create two new room threads and the transferred players "move" to the other room's new thread.

Electing a Leader

To vote for a player in your room to be leader, put your vote in bold like "Vote for Alice". Once over half the number of players (a majority) vote for someone, that player is the Leader. They remain the leader for the room until another player gets a majority of the votes. If the leader transfers herself, she submits the room's next leader along with the transfer orders.

For the first round, if no leader gets a majority of the vote, the player with the most votes becomes the leader at the end of the round, with ties going to the player with the longest held last vote.

Revealing

During the game, players can reveal their role in one of several ways. To mutually agree to share roles, Alice types in bold "Offer Coreveal Bob" and Bob types in bold "Accept Coreveal Alice". Then they private message in bold each other their color and roles. (Note both players must agree for this to happen.)

They can also color reveal, by typing "Offer color reveal Bob" and "Accept color reveal Alice", to send only their color and not role. (Color reveals are usually only allowed in games with 10 or more players.)

A player can also privately reveal their role to a player by typing "Private Reveal Bob" or "Private Color Reveal Bob". Finally the player can also public reveal to the whole room by posting in bold "I am blue" or "I am the blue president". (If it's in bold, it must be true.)

To revoke your coreveal offer before it's accepted, type in bold revoke coreveal Bob. If it's accepted before you revoke it, you must go through with it.

Reveal options summary

Offer [color/co-reveal] Jesse - propose a color or co-reveal offer
Accept [color/co-reveal] Jesse - accept a color or co-reveal offer
Revoke [color/co-reveal] Jesse - to cancel a previous color or co-reveal offer
Private reveal [color/role] Jesse - share role/color with player
I am [color/role] - share color/role with room

Private Messaging

You can private messaging other players by posting a whisper action in your room with "Whisper Jesse" and you are allowed to whisper to multiple people at once with the action "Whisper to Jesse, Alex, Teresa." There's no limit on whispering but try not to whisper a lot during the game to mimic the real game's time limit.

To allow spectators to look at what is happening during and after the game, you may want to post your whispers in spoiler boxes (in addition to private messaging):

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Spoiler text

It's also recommended to encrypt your whispers with rot13 (www.rot13.com) to prevent players from accidentally reading the message -- simply press Cypher on the website to encrypt/decrypt.

NOTE: DO NOT READ MESSAGES MEANT FOR OTHER PEOPLE, especially those from opposing team members. THIS IS CHEATING. You are welcome to go back after the game is over and read what people posted.

FAQ:
What if I'm leader and my orders might change when I'm not here?

You can appoint a second in command (SIC) as leader. Simply send transfer orders to the mod as usual and add "Accept orders from my second in command Bob".

What if a leader doesn't submit orders before the round ends?

If a leader does not submit a person to switch within the time limit, the mod will select hostages randomly from that room and move them. For this reason, we recommend submitting orders early and/or using a second in command.

Can players read what happened in previous rooms?

Players may look back at any "old" rooms they were in during the game.

Can you back out of a coreveal once it's accepted?

No, you must send your role to the person you corevealed with (even if you find out they're on the other team).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Next trip: Ireland!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike FAQ sections that answer questions that could have just been put in the appropriate section.

Ex: Instead of asking an FAQ question on co-revealing, just put that information in the section "Revealing".

In my opinion, FAQ sections are for when the rules have already been printed and distributed and you see a need for supplementary material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Come together, together as one
badge
Perhaps in a perfect world, the ring would be a symbol of happiness
mbmb
I tried to clean this up a fair amount for my PBF but I'm not sure if my changes died there. Anyway, this should definitely be on the wiki so it is community editable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like editing.

How to Play section:

The thought "and bold any game-related actions they take." is not related at all to the thought of not looking at the other room's thread. Therefore these two thoughts should not be in a shared sentence.

The last paragraph's first sentence ("This can be changed as necessary during the round without penalty ...") belongs with the previous sentence ("number of hostages to send to the other room ...") These thoughts should be in the same paragraph.

So:

How to Play

The moderator will create two different "room" threads for each round (like "PBF#1 - The Bunker Round 1" and "PBF#1 - The Command Post Round 1") and a "main" thread (this one) where the mod keeps track of transfers. Players are randomly assigned rooms and roles by private message. Each PBF round is 24 hours.

All players assigned into a room MUST NOT look at the other room's thread as that is CHEATING. They may only read and post in their assigned room.

The room's leader should send a private message to the moderator choosing a certain number of hostages (depending on the round and number of players) to send to the other room at the end of the round. The selected hostages can be changed as necessary during the round without penalty, but must be done before the round ends.

The moderator will create two new room threads for each new round. Once a round has ended, the new room threads will be used. The hostages from each room will "move" to the other room's new thread; everyone not selected as a hostage will use their current room's new thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rathstar wrote:
I tried to clean this up a fair amount for my PBF but I'm not sure if my changes died there. Anyway, this should definitely be on the wiki so it is community editable.

I agree -- but where should I put it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/tworoomsandaboom_pbf/rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
Everytime I mod a game, I copy and this text thinking "Why isn't this in one place so we just link to that every game."

This makes a lot of sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Original post: I proposed a hybrid version of the rules, which I pasted here. It's been removed since it was long and is available on the wiki.)

Edit: See the current version at http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/tworoomsandaboom_pbf/rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But, we don't need to do that. We can create our threads as mods and link to the rules page.

Right now, it's just in a format to copy and paste to the forums. That's funky. And not the purpose of a wiki.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Caitlin that a Wiki page should look like a Wiki - it shouldn't be the dumping ground for text.

This is one of those things you're not going to have 100% agreement on. Some people like to see the wall of text. Some people want a nice, concise link.

For contiguity and those who like to see the rules in the first post of a game thread, this could be our reference page. Bookmark or add to quickbar?

For Caitlin and those who like to avoid the wall of text in the first post of a game thread and just want a link that says "See this page for the rules", use the Wiki.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the main purposes of a wiki is for collaborative edits, and it accomplishes this purpose. The page currently is missing some wiki formatting in place of board formatting.

I don't really care about the format; either link or copy and paste is fine with me. The main reason I support copying and pasting the rules into the first page is it supports session-specific rules, rather than adding them on later -- players can remove rules that will be overwritten.

For example, if rules for whispers get changed for one variant, the rules could be copied with that section changed and highlighted, rather than the rules saying "ignore this rule". If there's fewer than 10 players, new players don't have to learn and then forget rules about color reveals.

If most mods are interested in linking to the rules, then the rules page can simply be in wiki formatting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as someone who has hosted 6 games:

I am fine with the current format of stealing the rules from the previous games and discussing the content of the rules in this thread.

I am from the opinion that the rules should be on the front page, but I understand why people like Caitlin would like to skip the wall of text and just show a link to a Wiki page.

In your example of rules changing for a variant, in general we have made separate posts with "Special Rules For This Game" and it has worked out fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmazala wrote:
In your example of rules changing for a variant, in general we have made separate posts with "Special Rules For This Game" and it has worked out fine.

This is actually rather important to do. Otherwise the veterans who don't pay attention to rules will miss the rule changes. Mike, for example missed the first time we played with the new first round tie breaker rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway, here's what I'm proposing: I'm going to revert back the wiki page to wiki formatted, and we can edit now until we are happy. Then convert back to forum format and post it here (I don't mind doing that stuff).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That works for me. I don't really have an opinion since I don't have mod experience. I'm more interested in any content changes players have -- that was the main reason I set out to make some edits.

I'm going to edit out my second post so it doesn't stretch the forum. If you want it for reference, I will have it saved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.