BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Help me improve my blog! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
In case you haven't heard me shamelessly self-promote, I have a gaming blog. It's ugly, non-functional and the articles are terrible beyond belief. But while I know how to fix the latter, the first two take skills I don't have.

How do I make my blog better? What should I read, what should I learn? How can I better use Wordpress and why is every site about the subject a content farm?

I don't particularly care about hits or traffic, if I really did I wouldn't write about forgotten board games and Toaplan shooters, I'm simply looking for a better way to share my knowledge.

Here's the link for reference:
http://eriktwicereviews.com/

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Which blog site is it hosted by? I would look at templates and find one you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
stormseeker75 wrote:
Which blog site is it hosted by? I would look at templates and find one you like.

It's self-hosted.

When it comes down to looks I don't think it's so much the template as not doing anything with it. I haven't changed the header or background, which is pretty basic, simply because I don't know what route to take. A friend of mine was going to help me with this but it has been months since I last saw her.

Not sure if I'm making sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know...to me it looks good. I wouldn't want to see anything changed, to be honest. Ok, if you wanted to tweak the colors according to personal taste, that would be fine but I like the current color scheme.

Note that I have particularly spartan tastes in web design, and I maintain a rather minimalistic design on my own web site. I say, do whatever you can to draw the attention away from the site and towards your words. If you have a huge blog roll, nine million "share/like this!" icons, and other unnecessary widgets (calendar?) on the side, then there's too much distracting visual noise. As it is now, your site is not bad in the clutter department; I'm just being illustrative.

edit: missing words
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think anyone ever uses those calendars at all, can't picture why people still use them.

I just want some simple changes. A background, a header or logo, a prettier way to list my articles...That kind of stuff. The theme I have right now should allow me to do anything I want with it, I just don't know how or lack the artistic skills to do it well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.