Popular Tags: [View All]
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Howdy,

BGG occasionally enforces that virtual flea market sales (buy/sell deals initiated on BGG but completed in person, usually in cash at a convention) be processed through the BGG marketplace.

This was new to me when I tried to post one for Board Game Bash in July, as I'd never seen it before on previous ones in which I had participated; the Board Game Bash VFM geeklist was forced private until this was fixed, and when I found others that didn't meet this requirement, BGG admins said it was long-standing policy, but just not well enforced, and they contacted all the ones still going on and had them changed, too.

However, ones posted in the last few weeks are no longer requiring this. I contacted the admin that handled this in July a few days ago, and haven't gotten a reply, so I'm posting here to get an official clarification. I'd like to participate in the BGG Con virtual flea market, but if it's rules violate BGG policy, I'd like them fixed before I start. (And, honestly, they need to be fixed before any more items are bought/sold.)

BGG VFM (September 2012) - No Marketplace Requirement
EGG VFM (January 2013) - Marketplace
GameStorm VFM (January 2013) - Marketplace
SaltCon VFM (February 2013) - Marketplace
Dice Tower VFM (April 2013) - No Marketplace Requirement
Portland VFM (June 2013) - Marketplace
Seattle VFM (June 2013) - Marketplace
Seattle VFM (August 2013) - Marketplace
Sasquatch VFM (September 2013) - No Marketplace Requirement
BGG VFM (September 2013) - No Marketplace Requirement

Clarification and consistency appreciated! I think if more people knew what the correct policy was, it would be easier to have it done correctly.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no marketplace requirement for bgg.con flea and virtual flea, because you already pay BGG an entrance fee just to get in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Where's that listed? I wasn't sure given their "paying is required to use the site" stance that they'd give such a favor those able to buy a ticket and travel to their convention versus other conventions worldwide. I can't find the policies and I'm really not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not listed anywhere specific that I know of, just general comments by admins over the years that the flea market is included in your registration. Things like: Re: Flea Market

Since the virtual flea market is just an extension of the physical one and you still have to exchange games on site at bgg.con, the same policy has been granted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually, you're mistaken. The requirement has been added to the BGG Con VFM - reread the instructions in the geek list. All is consistent now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is why did Michael add it to this year's VFM? There is no official ruling there, just his perception. Unless he was told officially, but he didn't say that.

I've asked the admins to weigh in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
He was told by an admin to add that line, per BGG policy. Things happened in geekmail. I assume admins will track down folks on the thread to make sure they run all the cash transactions through the marketplace.

I consider this issue closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the BGG Terms of Service, all sales facilitated by the site are subject to a 3% commission fee. This is enforced by seeing that all sales go through the BGG Marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
As per the BGG Terms of Service, all sales facilitated by the site are subject to a 3% commission fee. This is enforced by seeing that all sales go through the BGG Marketplace.

But this isn't facilitated by the site, it's facilitated by BGG.con, just like every other time in the past when fees were exempted.

So, two people meet up at BGG.con.

Bob sells a game to Adam, and has to pay a commission.
Adam sells a game to Bob, but does not have to pay a commission.

Not really making a whole lot of sense. Bob would be better off not using the virtual flea, and just take up space in the actual flea, making everything more crowded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.