Subject: Flat Tyre rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Morss
United States
Sanford
Maine
flag msg tools
I recently bought Art of Siege and am seeing it for the first time. What's up with Tyre? In particular, section 17.

Alexander does not have any naval units in his initial deployment, and does not roll for naval reinforcements until step E of the Planning Phase. But he has to decide (in step A) whether to bombard or assault, not knowing if he even has a fleet available?

If he doesn't get the ABS fleet on turn one or two, what can he do? Just build on the mole and proceed to the next game-turn?

When he does get naval reinforcements, it says they come on at the north map edge during the naval phase. And apparently they can't arrive with battering rams or catapults on them, since that allocation occurs in step D of the Planning Phase.

So if the Tyrians don't leave harbor on the turn that Alexander gets his first fleet, you might as well skip to the next game-turn since the arriving ships can't do any damage to the walls without rams or catapults.

I've looked on consimworld, grognard, and bgg for additional errata but have not found any. Am I missing something? Thanks.

[cross posted at consimworld AoS forum]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert

I answered over on Consim

After taking out my copy and relooking at it again(after a couple of decades not looking at it) it does come down to if no naval units arrive on turn 1 or 2 it's just extending the Mole and building more siege engines.

And even if the naval would arrive turn 1 or 2 it's getting them into position for later allocation of the catapults/rams for later use.

It's a long siege so the first turns will be somewhat slow for Alex and the boys unless the Tyre commander comes out full force with his fleet to attack the mole or any arriving ships.

Designer Mark Herman is a user here on BGG so maybe a message to him.

Like I said I haven't played the game in decades so someone who has more recently and more times may have a better grasp of this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Morss
United States
Sanford
Maine
flag msg tools
Thanks, Kim. That is how Alexander's fleet arrival is handled in the calandale video replay.

I've only just purchased Art of Siege - late to the party, I confess, since I was into the hobby when AoS was published. After my first-ever attempt at Tyre (last month) I was confused by Alexander's likely lack of ships, and that the land forces don't need to be placed on the map until the assault takes place.

Thanks to BGG and consimworld community I'm getting a better appreciation of Tyre. Also, I recently read the Arrian account of the siege and could see that the design of the game is largely based on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.