Scott Docter
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I am trying to narrow down a game that I could play single player and cooperatively. I don't have anything like this in my collection currently, but am looking at Rune Age, Pathfinder adventure card game and Mage Knight. I tend to appreciate card games, and want depth, but I don't have a lot of experience in this genre. Which one of the three would you recommend, or would you recommend something else? I have played castle panic and that was fun, but it felt more like a kids game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this fits what you are looking for, but Defenders of the Realm is my favorite co-op and it plays solo great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider Darkest Night (First edition).

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Rune Age, but Mage Knight and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game are both excellent. Mage Knight probably has a bit more depth than Pathfinder ACG, but Pathfinder ACG has more cards/expansions. If you haven't already, you might want to watch some of the gameplay videos of each to get a good feel for what type of experience you are looking for. You might also want to look into The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
+1! (not strictly a card game but close enough and a good game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistertrench wrote:
+1!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aka Legends of Andor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:

cool

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is superb, both for solitaire and for cooperative play.

It does have all you are looking for, fantasy, depth, and card-driven.

It is a really long game, though, which takes several hours.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the best one is Magic Realm, a heavy game with strong strategic and narrative elements. Played numerous times, tremendous replayability. I agree that LOTR the card game is a solid suggestion. I am ready to start playing Pathfinder which appears to be a reasonable alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Synowiec
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
If you get Rune Age it has a lot more life for a co-op or competitive game. I love the game and I love playing games solo, but you can only solo half of the missions in the box and there is no scaling for them the difficulty doesn't seemed balanced for solo play.

As for Mage Knight and Pathfinder I haven't touched either, I've heard good things about Mage Knight I just don't like the combat system, and Pathfinder I'm looking as a solo experience right now, but am not done looking into it.

I'd suggest a +1 to Lord of the Rings LCG. Its a solid game once you get a good deck built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played Mage Knight, the supposed complexity scared me away.

I do own Rune Age and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set.

I have mixed feelings about Pathfinder. I am playing mostly solo out of fascination (a lot of new cool things in this game...); the couple times I played with someone else it has been awesome, but I think it was a matter first of how the cards turned out, second on the players' approach.
I coaxed people to play a campaign, we will see how that turns out.

I love Rune Age.
I tend to not recommend it as a solo game, because I feel the solo scenarios, and the co-op scenario, are the weakest ones.
There are two soloable scenarios in the base game:
- Dragonlords: competitive against players, and against the event deck; when played solo it is you against the events, and managing to beat it is a matter of time; I call this scenario solo a "training mode".
- Cataclysm: co-op scenario; very hard; it is true that scales in a "strange way", but is soloable... but is better if you play two factions.
I am glad I picked up the expansion Rune Age: Oath and Anvil, and one of the reasons is solo play. I play this solo a lot, because it is so quick; also I carry this around because, well, it is a lot of different games = scenarios, in one box.
There are new cards to turn Drangonlords fully co-op, and I love that mode (and is satisfyingly soloable to me). Also I love the new events for Cataclysm.
If you want this for solo and co-op but with the option to play other competitive scenarios I would recommend the base game (expansion: optional).
For just solo and co-op I would recommend to get also the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.