10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Press Releases

Subject: Board Game Exchange Now Available in the UK! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGX UK
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
After repeated requests for service to be extended outside the United States, Board Game Exchange is now available in the UK!

Check out www.boardgameexchange.uk.com for UK-based board game subscriptions.

What is Board Game eXchange (“BGX”)?
Board Game eXchange is the UK’s brand new board game rental service!
We offer subscription-based access to a large and ever-growing library of popular board games.

How does Board Game eXchange work?
As a BGX Member, you select games to rent from our constantly growing library, which are then shipped to your door. Keep the games as long as you’d like as there are no late fees or due dates and all shipping is included. After you’ve finished playing the games, you simply return them in the prepaid box and we’ll ship you more from your online rental queue!

Why would I sign up for Board Game exchange?
Have you ever paid lots of money for a board game only to be disappointed in your purchase? How many games do you have in your closet gathering dust because you don’t play them anymore? With BGX, buyer’s remorse and overflowing closets are a thing of the past. In addition, our service is also perfect for game nights and gaming groups who are looking for more variety.

Can I trade in games for Membership Credit?
Yes indeed. BGX will trade membership credit for games even when the box is tattered and pieces are missing. Credit is based upon the condition of the game and the demand for the game. If you have games you would like to trade in for credit, please contact us at Exchange@BoardGameExchange.uk.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Devil
England
London
flag msg tools
It's not exactly a stellar range of games. It feels like you've raided every charity shop in the country. How many boardgames based on 80's TV shows do you really need?

I've had a quick scan through your list of available games and I'd be surprised if your entire library has a value over £1,300. It feels that when your basic package is over £155 a year you should be offering a much better selection. Your premium package of over £560 per annum is comical - simply because I would struggle to find games to hire after a couple of months and that's assuming you have a full library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Overton
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Risk Legacy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Piqued by Red Devil's comments I did see a few games that date back a few years. One wonders where Atmosfear came from and if it's a VCR version and if so where a VCR player is to be obtained, same for the ST:TNG Klingon VCR game which was only produced for VCR since DVDs, like data crystals, were yet to be invented, but to be fair of the 161 games listed many are current games that are well loved by BGGers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was thinking the same thing. I spent a while looking though the site and only found a single game I'd be interested in playing and loads of games which I can't see anyone interested in playing (the Bread board game, really? you're trying to make money from that?).

I was thinking that it might be decent to sign up for a month, rent the one that I actually want to play, then cancel my subscription, but then I read there were no return dates for these games. I could be paying for six months and not receive the one game on the list I want to try out.

When you think about it, if these folks opened an account with a supplier, they would be buying games at 50% cost. Take out a bank load for a couple of grand and buy some good games. And only buy expensive ones, why would I pay you more to rent a game that I would spend to own it.

But is there really a market there for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BGX UK
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for having a look at our website. You're correct, the game library we currently have available is somewhat limited but will be growing to match demand and the preference of our members. We plan on adding new games based on requests to ensure we provide a service which allows members the chance to play the games they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BGX UK
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for bringing the terms issue to our attention. As you found, the issue was an incorrect link which slipped through the net when we migrated our US site to our UK server. We've corrected that link now so it points to our UK terms and conditions.

Our library of games will continue to be expanding and growing to reflect the preferences of our members and we always welcome suggestions on ways to improve the service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Devil
England
London
flag msg tools
Your business is too much chicken and egg. You grow your library after you get customers but won't get customers until you grow your library.

You need to place a big order with Esdevium. Then plan on going to Essen and bring back a great selection of new releases. Start to treat this like a business.

I'd also review your library and take out all the games that are worthless. It's my experience that quality trumps quantity. Perhaps create a 'Blast to the Past' library under a different link so you can still offer these games but acknowledge there place.

Anyway, good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Devil
England
London
flag msg tools
Also, consider game bundles. Package all the travel games together. I can't imagine anyone wants to rent a Carcassone expansion on it's own (imagine trying to take out all the tiles from your own set). Every expansion you offer should be combined with the base game for free. If you don't have the base game don't offer the expansion (Thunderstone x2).

You need to start looking like a proper rental library and not just a pile of games you picked up at a car boot sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BGX UK
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Red Devil. The "Blast to the Past" library is a great idea to separate out those games and the game bundles is certainly something worth trying. We're compiling our next large games order which will hopefully fill in some of the expansion gaps and are definitely looking forward to Essen in a few weeks' time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.