Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lini vs Gogmurt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gogmurt specifically states that animals may not be played against him. Does this stop lini from using her reveal animal power against him? In most cases it seems like playing cards is different than using powers but I am unsure in this specific case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think his power prevents any card/power that requires an animal card from being used. This includes Lini's reveal an animal for +d4 but not her discard for d10 strength (you can even discard an animal to pay for this if you want).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
-
mbmbmbmbmb
Lini can still reveal an animal ally, or discard one to get d10 strength. Neither of these counts as playing an animal ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well.... those answers contradict each other. Anyone else have input? My guess is that you CAN use the power to reveal an animal as in general using a power is different than playing a card. I am still unsure though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reveal a card is a way of playing a card, that is written in the rulebook.

So by the book you aren't allowed to reveal, recharge, display, discard, banish or brut an animal against this Guy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
-
mbmbmbmbmb
Incorrect. Revealing a card for the cards power is a way of playing a card, true. But revealing a card as part of a characters power is not.
Lini can reveal an animal ally and still play an animal ally (even the same one) for its effect. This has been confirmed by designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
-
mbmbmbmbmb
From my earlier thread with this topic: Lini Questions

youperguy wrote:
I asked on the paizo board, this from Vic Wertz:

Vic Wertz Chief Technical Officer 50 minutes ago | FLAG | LIST
+

Youperguy wrote:
For Lini's power:

You may reveal an ally with the Animal trait to add 1d4 ( +1) ( +2) to your check.

Can she use this power and then play an ally on the same check? Or does this count as her Ally play for the turn?

Rules wrote:
Playing a card means activating a card’s power by revealing, displaying, discarding, recharging, burying, or banishing the card.

When you reveal the ally to trigger Lini's power, you're not actually *playing* the ally—its own power is not being activated. You can still play an ally on the check. (It can even be the one you revealed to activate Lini's power!)

So the official answer is that you can use the same ally to reveal using a charecter power and then play the card using its own power.

Also, I asked the same question re Gogmurt on that thread with no definitive answer. At the time though all we knew was the preview version of Gogmurt, whose text said you could not use animal allies. The text is now that you cannot play animal allies. Since revealing for Lini's power is not playing the animal ally, I strongly believe it is fine to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been mentioned elsehwere, mostly concerning recharging a card, etc. Playing a card for it's own power is considering playing the card. Using a card as payment for anything else, other than the card's power, itself, regardless of whether it's reveal, recharge, discard, etc, does not count as playing the card.

Lini's power, not the card's power, is what is being used when you reveal it to add that die. Therefore, the card is not being played. Therefore, it doesn't go against the bane's requirements. Lini's power just requires it to be an animal ally for itself, but Lini is not playing the card; Lini is using Lini's own power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've posted it on the Paizo forums. If I get an official reply I'll post it here.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q7jv?When-Lini-meets-Gogmurt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[QUOTE="Mike Selinker"] [QUOTE="h4ppy"] The villain Gogmurt has the effect "You may not play allies with the Animal trait".

The question is: can Lini use her "reveal an ally with the Animal trait to add 1d4 to a check" power when fighting Gogmurt?

I know that this power doesn't count as playing the card you reveal but, because the power itself requires an Animal ally (to which Gogmurt is immune) what happens here?
[/QUOTE]

Your comment begins "I know that this power doesn't count as playing the card you reveal," and that's where it should end too. If it doesn't count as playing a card, it's not playing a card. [/QUOTE]

Mikes answer. So basically, since you are not playing the card to activate the power it isn't limited

P.S. I know the quotes don't work on here, but don't know how to change that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Mike Selinker wrote:
h4ppy wrote:
The villain Gogmurt has the effect "You may not play allies with the Animal trait".

The question is: can Lini use her "reveal an ally with the Animal trait to add 1d4 to a check" power when fighting Gogmurt?

I know that this power doesn't count as playing the card you reveal but, because the power itself requires an Animal ally (to which Gogmurt is immune) what happens here?

Your comment begins "I know that this power doesn't count as playing the card you reveal," and that's where it should end too. If it doesn't count as playing a card, it's not playing a card.

WreckingCrew wrote:
Mikes answer. So basically, since you are not playing the card to activate the power it isn't limited

P.S. I know the quotes don't work on here, but don't know how to change that...

Quotes fixed, you just need to change "quote" to "q".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Mike posted on the Paizo forums that it's fine for Lini to use (all of) her powers when facing Gogmurt. You just can't play Animal Allies for their own powers (as printed on the Allies' cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamemonster wrote:
Yes, Mike posted on the Paizo forums that it's fine for Lini to use (all of) her powers when facing Gogmurt. You just can't play Animal Allies for their own powers (as printed on the Allies' cards).

We've added this to the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.