Dux Bellorum» Forums » Variants

Subject: Nomad Horse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi First post on these forums.
I have been playing the game for a while now and have number of armies. Like some people who have posted on here I wondered if it was possible to have a Hun varient so that some Late Roman varient games could be played.

I have a couple of ideas which I thought I would run by people and see what you think. Firstly the idea was not to make Nomad horse a super army, so if a rule has an advantage then it should be tempered by a disadvantage. Also it should still fall in line with the original concepts of the rules. Which is to have easy but challenging games. So here goes. First is the troop type.

Nomad Horse
Move 4, Bravery 8 (Morale 6), Aggression 3 (2 Bow), Protection 4, Cohesion 3, 2 BW for Bow. Army points 3.

You will see I have made them better than Skirmish horse but not as good as Ordinary horse. I feel that their tactics should encourage the weakening of the enemy before the charge.

Second is a strategy to enable this troop type to be effective.

Evasive
A unit may for go its next turn move to move in the current turn and evade a full move. It may either use a LP for this or take a Morale test (not bravery test) if it fails the Morale test 1 point of cohesion is lost. At the end of the move turn the unit away from the charging enemy or mark with a token. This is to indicate it cannot move next turn in the movement phase. (Note it can still use the Evasive skill) This is only available to mounted units with a missile weapon. (Noble and Ordinary riders would have to take the Javelin strategy)
Cost is 3 points for up to and incl 5 units, 5 points for 6 or more.

I think that should make sense. If you wish to make the Nomad Noble Horse have bow then I suggest you remove a point of aggression and not have to buy the Javelin strategy.

This should give you a reasonable force of

Mounted Companions @ 5
Noble Horse @ 5
Nomad horse x 5 @ 15
Evasive @ 3
Leaving you 4 points to play around with.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea, thanks for sharing. Let us know how the army gets on.

I wonder whether Evasive might need to cost another point or so as it will be quite powerful for this army?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Dan
I think if they were 4 points up to five incl and 6 points for 6 or more, then it would be easier to just make the Nomad horse 4 points each and they would always have Evasive, That would make it better for some armies as they might only want to have 1 or 2 units in their army.

So a Late Roman army would have a maximum of 2 units at 4 point each.

I would then leave Evasive as it stands for other skirmishing cavalry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.