Subject: GT5 Tactical Surprise Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am the Sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
Fifth turn of the Next War:

“OK Jack, the DPRK is across the Puk’an River in three places. Let get the briefing going so we can all get back to our areas” states the General.

“Yes sir. First off our electronic detection units were able to detect the DPRK VIII and V Corps headquarters units while the ROK VI HQ was detected by enemy radio detection units. Our Special Forces were tasked with finding two supply depots north of Musan and with locating and destroying radar detection sites. Three Ranger and a Commonwealth unit hit several sites in the north and reduced their detection capacity by 30%. However, only one depot was located. We took no losses to our Special Forces.

“In the air we now have total air supremacy. The DPRK did not send up any aircraft at all sir. Our AWACs is operating at peak efficiency. We also obtained control of all the sea zones around Korea. That is not good news for the DPRK bridgehead at Gunsan.

“We sent in four strike packages to cause as much damage and disruption to the DPRK forward units as possible. F-35 stealth aircraft hit the detected supply depot in hex 3413 causing serious damage to it but did not reduce it. South Korean F-15K’s, Commonwealth F/A-18’s, and US Wild Weasel’s hit the KDG Artillery Corps and eliminated an entire brigade of artillery. US Navy F/A-18’s and Wild Weasels again hit the 105 Armor Division and caused some disruptions to it. Finally F-15K’s hit the PYG HQ at Hwacheon and reduced it. Several HQ’s from both sides conducted strikes all along the front. A Mech Brigade from the 815 Corps was severely hit while the ROK 5 Armor Brigade of the VI Corps was disrupted.

“The DPRK had some supply problems. The beachhead at Gunsan is out of supply and a couple of other divisions advanced beyond their supply lines. Emergency supply made it to two divisions.

“The 3 Army moved to Yangp’yong to try to check the advance of the DPRK V Corps. We conducted two major attacks. The first involved the 82 Airborne supporting the 30 Mech and Cap Mech divisions attacking the reduced DPRK 105 Armor Division. The enemy was destroyed. North of Chuncheon 3/3 Marine, 21 and 2 Divisions of III Corps, and the 76M Division attacked and destroyed a motorized division of the PYG Corps. The Marine battalion was destroyed in the attack.

“The DPRK responded to these attacks by conducting five major assaults along the line. In the suburbs of Seoul four divisions from the DPRK IV and II Corps pushed into Goyang. Two ROK divisions were forced to retreat with loss. Near Guri the 815 Mech and units of the II Corps attacked a division and armor brigade from the ROK IV Corps. The 28 Division from IV Corps was destroyed and a DPRK armor brigade was eliminated. East of Namynangju 1/82 and 3/82 were attacked by three infantry divisions from V corps and armor from the 820 Armor Corps. The airborne troopers stopped the attack cold and destroyed the enemy armor brigade. West of Chuncheon the 425 Mech and an infantry division from the V Corps attacked and forced to retreat the Japanese Airmobile Brigade and 11 Division of the 1Army. The 11MEU HQ was destroyed in this attack and the 425 Mech Corps is across the Puk’an River with five mech brigades. Along the east coast the 806 and 108 Mech Corps are still being held up by the staunch defense of the VIII Corps.

“We sent in two strike packages to hit the 425 Mech Corps reducing a brigade and causing disruption to another.

“We had to pull back the ROK 1 Army and II Corps, give up Inju and Yang’gu, and try to eastablish defenses east and west of Chuncheon. The DPRK hit us again east of Seoul by destroying the 5 Infantry/VI Corps with three divisions from their V Corps. In this last battle each side had a helicopter unit eliminated from SAM fire.

“And in closing sir Goyang has been captured by divisions of the DPRK IV Corps” says Jack.

“What reinforcements have made it to Korea in the last couple of days?” asks the General.

“Sir we received the rest of the 101 Airborne. Another brigade from the 2 Infantry and the US I Corps has been delayed getting to Korea. They are currently in ports in Japan. The 15MEU also made it; they are on an amphibious group in the East Sea. Also, four ROK reserve divisions finished mobilizing” replies Jack.

“Alright we need to hit those depots hard. Also, maximum air support is to be focused on the breakthroughs. Also, we need to get the 2 Infantry Division back up north ASAP” states the General.

“Understood sir…..”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cooper
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't look the DPRK got much for their tactical surprise but created a salient. US Air should be showing up soon to turn it into a cauldron that's if the Korean left can hold with just a weak brigade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to fire this scenario up. It's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
DUMASCLUB wrote:
It doesn't look the DPRK got much for their tactical surprise but created a salient. US Air should be showing up soon to turn it into a cauldron that's if the Korean left can hold with just a weak brigade.

The interesting thing about this scenario, at least the way I played it, was it allows you to pull the ROK units off the DMZ front line with the pre-game movement. I think that really turned it into a meat grinder. Leaving the ROK on the front DMZ hexes just invites tunnels to be placed there and for massive odds to be generated against the ROK defenders. I think retreating one hex is a good option.

And yes, in GT6 air power did some good damage to the DPRK units since almost every unit on the board can be detected by the Allied forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan,

I don't recall reading it in your AARs, but did you use Chemical Weapons? The DPRK almost has to do so to ensure a breakthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Maidhof
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
Dan,

I don't recall reading it in your AARs, but did you use Chemical Weapons? The DPRK almost has to do so to ensure a breakthrough.

My TacSurprise opponent unleashed chem in T1 earlier tonight, with the turn complete, the Allies are basically satisfied with the results so far...nothing that would lose the war yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
Dan,

No chemical use so far. I wanted to try the scenario to see what would happen with just Busan nuked. I probably should have included them since the DPRK took a huge hit in VP's with the nuke option.

A couple questions about chemical weapons usage:
1. If the ROK player decides to use chemical weapons a few turns after the DPRK usage, does the ROK lose the VP's gained in the preceding turns down to 3? Example: DPRK uses 6 chemical points throughout turns 1 and 2. ROK gains 18 VP's. Then on turn 5 the ROK uses chemical weapons, does the ROK player lose 15 VP's?

2. Can a unit advance an extra hex through a chemical marker or advance into a chemical marker?

The next time I try the Busan nuked option I may modify it where it costs supply points to have US/CW/Japanese units attack normally. Maybe 1 point per division (or part of division) for them to attack normally. Also, 1 point could be spent to allow up to 5 Allied air units to base in South Korea. So far the nuke option really has not hamstrung the Allied side too much. They lost two air units, one division, and the heavy units (which don't start to arrive for awhile anyway) are delayed a turn. Reasoning: if Busan is such a huge area for prepositioned stocks and equipment then ammo and fuel for the high-tech Allied units would have to be shipped in to Korea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.