Keary Quigley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I played this game last week and was blown away on how fun it was. Naturally I went and bought a few things. Now, I am faced with a dilemma. I don't want to get super in debt with this game as my player group for it is pretty small, so I want to place my next few and possibly final purchases carefully.

What I have:
Xwing core set (Has the two ties and the x-wing)
Y wing expansion x1
A wing expansion x1
tie-bomber expansion x1

what I have already ordered:
Tie Advanced expansion x1
another X-wing x1

What I want:
As diverse a ship collection as possible for both sides while keeping power balanced between sides. I generally tend to avoid the big ships (Slave One and Millennium Falcon) as my friend already has them and I find them large and slow... I am a little predisposed to loving the dark side and have been eyeballing the Tie Interceptor Aces expansion... I probably still want a B-wing as well.

What I want to avoid: What I call thematically weak or irrelevant ships that were not in the actual movies. (in other words the goofy looking rebel freighter that I hear came from some video game or other inception...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
It sounds like we have the same preferences.

Add these in this order:

(1) Core Set
(1) Tie Expansion
(2) Interceptors
(2) B-Wings

Once you have that you'll have just gobs of diversity and the ability to build big lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corran Horn
United States
California
flag msg tools
Your next purchase should definitely be a 2nd Core set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nivek5150 wrote:
Your next purchase should definitely be a 2nd Core set

Yup. You'll want the extra dice. The extra damage deck. The extra range ruler and templates (so each person can have their own set). And it's the cheapest way to get three figures (and you can never have too many TIE Fighters or X-Wings).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Nixon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Snarly_Yow wrote:
It sounds like we have the same preferences.

Add these in this order:

(1) Core Set
(1) Tie Expansion
(2) Interceptors
(2) B-Wings

Once you have that you'll have just gobs of diversity and the ability to build big lists.

thats pretty solid advice.
i find a single a-wing would be enough, although it is nice to have the 2nd Push The Limit Upgrade (although it is reprinted in the new imperial aces expansion due out soonish).
id consider a 2nd bomber as well as they seem to be best in numbers, esp with Capt Jonus.
having one of each of the big ships gives u more options as well, as they come with upgrades that can be used on the smaller fighters. they eat up at least a 3rd of ur points and likely closer to 40-50pts but they will continue to see lots of play in 100pt x-wing tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like TIE Interceptors, but only buy one. Then wait for the Aces set to get more.

Also, when talking about buying on a budget, Amazon has some stuff for pretty good prices. No Wave 1 expansions, but the core set and Waves 2 and 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My early buys were Core Set, X-wing and Tie expansion, Y-wing and Tie Adv expansions, and then another core set.

That gave me 3x X-wings (with all the pilots available), and a Y-wing. More than enough for several variations on Rebel 100 point builds. And, 5x Tie fighters (again, with all pilots available), and a Tie Adv (you've got to have the option for Vader) again giving you some options for 100 points.

My next purchases were two Tie Ints, just like my Ties flying in pairs when possible. Again, expanding your Imp build options, without too many extraneous expenditures. They were my favorite additions in wave two, and are still my favorite looking Impy fighter.

I'll probably add in the Tie Aces when it comes out, possibly two for the matching paired paint jobs, and I might get around to two Tie bombers eventually. But, I mostly buy on what I think is cool looking, over what's the best buy available for gaming.

I'll still pick up a Falcon and probably one each of the A and B-wings along the line, but I only really care about the Falcon of the rest of these Rebel ships. And, possibly Slave 1 some day along the way, but I'm not rushing out for it anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keary Quigley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Thanks alot folks, your replies have been very helpful. I'm glad to see I seem to be on the right track here. I do have a question to ponder and that is this: Are the Tie interceptors worth it if I plan on getting the aces expansion anyway? Technically those are tie interceptors though flashier, am I missing something important in the basic interceptor set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keary Quigley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
My local hobby store had a few. I always thought they were neat looking so I had to indulge. Are they getting hard to find or something? (Again, I'm new so rarity is out of my current scope....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
KillerRollzGames wrote:
Thanks alot folks, your replies have been very helpful. I'm glad to see I seem to be on the right track here. I do have a question to ponder and that is this: Are the Tie interceptors worth it if I plan on getting the aces expansion anyway? Technically those are tie interceptors though flashier, am I missing something important in the basic interceptor set?

There are two generic pilots (Alpha Squadron and Avenger Squadron) and two upgrades (Daredevil and Elusiveness) that you'd miss out on. I'd say that's not such a big deal, but you'd also miss out on three unique pilots (Soontir Fel, Turr Phennir, and Fel's Wrath), and you really want them.

Also, fielding two Interceptors is fun, but there are also lots of good ways to use three...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keary Quigley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Thanks again for the input. Something else I am wondering as a "noob" are these:

1. Does anyone have any tricks to keeping the ships on the bases better? The sticks seem to come out of the bases pretty easily and it kinda drives me nuts.

2. Recommendations for storage of all these ships, cardboard chits, cards etc? One of my friends uses a flat "fishing tacklebox" of sorts but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas to keeping the ships and those flimsy mounting sticks safe from getting broken. (I have a 3yr old daughter who likes to touch and throw everything so I need toddler armor. lol)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keary Quigley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Keeping on point as well with strategy, My collection as you know tends to float alot of single ships...

Is strategy for a single ship class more limited or more diverse in your opinions than running a fleet of the same style ship in a game? I've seen alot of posts about people grouping 3-5 ships of the same basic ship under different names and strategizing them to the teeth. How common/uncommon is it to run an entire field of different ships comparatively? I want to make sure at some point if I get very competitive at this that I know which if any ships I need to flush out more copies of..whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
KillerRollzGames wrote:
Keeping on point as well with strategy, My collection as you know tends to float alot of single ships...

Is strategy for a single ship class more limited or more diverse in your opinions than running a fleet of the same style ship in a game? I've seen alot of posts about people grouping 3-5 ships of the same basic ship under different names and strategizing them to the teeth. How common/uncommon is it to run an entire field of different ships comparatively? I want to make sure at some point if I get very competitive at this that I know which if any ships I need to flush out more copies of..whistle

Assuming I understand what you mean, I generally like to field mixed lists--a YT and two B-wings rather than 3 B-wings, mixed TIE Fighters and Interceptors rather than just Interceptors or just TIEs, X-wings with Y-wings or B-wings rather than just X-wings.

Lists that include just a single ship type tend to be powerful on one axis but weak on another--for instance, three B-wings with Heavy Laser Cannons have great offense but are fairly fragile. Mixing up your list tends to draw back a bit from your strengths, but allows you to convincingly cover your weaknesses. It tends to make for a more defensive and tactically flexible stance, which I prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keary Quigley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Yeah, that is what I was getting at. I think the complexity of variation of ships can help boggle the oppositions strategic thinking by making the moves you make somewhat less predictable and like you said more diverse in coverage of inherent weaknesses. When I have played, most of my upgrades to ships have based on balancing out inherent weaknesses, using the diversity of actions and movement to screw with my opponent while loading up on one (or two) ship's strengths to rout the field a bit. (usually Vader in the tie advanced... love that ship.) robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxes like this are good:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/856546/which-plano-box-do-yo...

A big tip, no matter what box you get, is to get out the plastic trays that come in the packaging for the ships. You can then use those to hold the ships in your new box, which should help prevent small parts like X-Wing guns from being bent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex M
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy one of every expansion they have released so far.
In addtition to that you might want to pick up a second core set. And later this year pick up the Aces as well.

That will give a very wide range of ships and access to nearly all the cards you might need. It will limit you on certain builds tho.

I do not know the current dollar prices but here in germany that would cost me ~200€ depending on the store i buy at.

For a minitures game that is still very cheap. Since you are getting two nearly complete armys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.