20 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: Value of a Painted Set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarrett Lee
msg tools
Hey guys

I've just completed painting a full set of the Season 1 Abomination level. It took a long, long time but I think the results were worth the effort.

I've been looking at Ebay but there aren't many painted ones that have ended recently.

Any thoughts on the value of such a thing? It includes the second wave pack of zombivors (not painted though - unopened).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Multiply how many hours it took you to paint them by what you feel is a fair rate of pay for an hour's painting, add about 2/3rd of the cost of the game, then add a bit more for what you think it cost you in paints and brushes. That should give you a fair price if you are considering selling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Lee
msg tools
Thanks...ugh, wish I'd kept track of all the hours but I've literally worked on it off and on since it was released...

It occurred to me pictures would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been watching painted sets all year.

One set sold, mid october of last year for over $1000. This was a nicely painted abomination kit with dave, nick and el cholo. I have convinced myself that this was a one time deal(possibly family members bidding it up to purchase and give back to the artist) or seasonal sale, wealthy people buying the game for a halloween party)).

You can commission professional painting companies to do tabletop standard on the zombies and one step up for survivors for around $425.

All of the sets that i have watched that looked like they had been painted by the seller, sold for around $200. Some of these had really nice paint jobs, some of them just ok paint jobs. Some had promos, some not.

There are a couple of sets in the BGG marketplace. They have been listed for quite some time. This is probably the route i would take but they don't look like they are selling.

I also noticed that someone had very nice painted Marvin,Ivy,Eva,and Claudia survivors on ebay for around $75 each. And at that time people where paying more for unpainted ones.

When I saw the $1000+ set sell, I considering painting a set to sell...
But there is a lot more than $100 labor in painting a zombicide set!

MY PERSONAL OBSERVATION IS THAT PAINTING ZOMBICIDE DIMINISHES THE VALUE!
THIS IS WHY I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO PAINT A SET TO SELL !!!!

I own a fully painted abomination pledge and have every intention of painting my fugitive pledge (when it arrives). I purchased an extra fugitive pledge to paint and sell, but decided not to paint the extra set.

I hope this helps, even though it probably is not the answer you wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You posted pictures while i was typing...

Very nice work!!!

I don't think you can get back what you have in it...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
zombie

Sell the unpainted promos separate.
I bet they bring in more than the painted set.

Sorry to be negative, the paint job quality is very good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Lee
msg tools
Yep - thanks that's good information. I may end up keeping it, not sure. Or I'll try ebay and see if there's any demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebay is the market that I have been watching.

There is a way to search expired auctions, look for that.
I'm pretty sure I have seen sets as nice as yours sell for ridiculously low prices.
I felt so bad for the owners.

The biggest price spikes I noticed for zombicide products on ebay last year where in october and during the season 2 kickstarter.

Be careful, those pictures show me a lot of hours of work.
good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to paint my set, but it will be solely for my personal enjoyment. I've been surprised at how little painted game miniatures fetch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
* Try posting on the Zombicide KS comments.

* The Miniatures Page has a section for painting commissions.

* Trade it.

* Found this: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/928770/anyone-have-a-fully-p...

I think unpainted sets sell at higher prices because it's *much* easier to evaluate the worth of an unpainted set vs. a painted one. AFAIK, Most painters paint by commission, not by looking for a buyer. Even then, customers have no idea how much they really should be paying. Scroll to comments: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/04/brent-pitfalls-of-com...

Another commissions article has an interesting tip: Buy local. So... bring your set to conventions or other public events (eg. Meetups) and tell them your set is for sale, or you can do a commission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have nothing useful to add, but wanted to say that looks fantastic. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Zanderholm
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I am painting my set atm and was asked if I could commission-paint a set as well.

I was calculating what it would cost if I took my regular works hour pay (150SEK = ~$24) and transferred it over to the painting.

Each mini for me takes around 30min with some taking longer and some going faster. This is tabletop and/or tabletop+ standard depending on model as some are better cast/easier to paint etc. and I try to do each mini in 30min and have that as my limit, not the detail.

This makes the hour cost 5325SEK (~$800+).
Then add on that the game-cost etc and soon you notice it might actually be too steep a pay for most people to pay.

If you count it it is basically only $11 (75SEK) per model you pay but it adds up and get expensive rather fast. What I noticed when talking w people is that most are willing to pay around $2.5 in general per model when you paint as many as this.

So painting minis in bulk is a rather ungrateful work, think you get more out of painting/selling individual unique highly painted minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pascaud
France
Saint Aunes
Herault
flag msg tools
My friends call me "Sly" during games. I can't propose alliances anymore.
badge
My wife and I are offering painting commission services for your miniatures !
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a really nice painted set that went away for 1700$.

You got to show something really unique to get a chance to have in money your worth of effort and time.
As mentioned above, people looking for buying miniatures often do not realize the time it involves.

I remember a funny poll on the Dreadfleet forum where a future costumer wanted to know what a painter would ask for a Dreadfleet commission.

Choices were something like "Less than 50$ - Between 50 and 100 - Between 100 & 150 - Beyond". (something like...)

Truth is no one should paint Dreadfleet for less than 500-1000$ ! That shows the gap between the reality of painting, and the image a lot of non-painters have of the Hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Zanderholm
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
Vinsssounet wrote:
Truth is no one should paint Dreadfleet for less than 500-1000$ ! That shows the gap between the reality of painting, and the image a lot of non-painters have of the Hobby.

Yea people do not see the time spent, and also do not consider that if I do work on my free time I still want to get a solid pay for that time.
So even if I speed-paint things it would cost a lot more than most want to put in.

Also a lot of people are like 'well if it cost that much I may as well paint them myself' and sure that is a valid idea, but do you have the time?

Had a friend that got around $1400 for painting a WH40K army cause it was worth more to the buyer to have his free time than the money it cost. And that is somewhat the mentality the BUYER need to have, if they do not have that it is hard to sell them anything like this.

Those took me around 1½h to paint and that is basically just 3 colors and some cheating .

And for these I might want like $5 each for painting if a friend asked me, maybe a bit more if I made a commission. Problem is when you do around 100 of them it get expensive to take the 'actual cost per time'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoah, how did you get that nice clean skull on Sheldon?

Heck, I'd pay just to see higher res pictures to drool over! someday I'll get mine painted... someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Xealous
Ireland
Killagrohan. Mallow
Co.Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome paint job!

I wouldn't be able to provide a value - prices on ebay can change quite a bit. But I can tell you that we do Zombicide commissions and for a basic standard (not including the models) we charge £225. A combo of standard zombies and higher std survivors is £255 and for everything to be high std it's £450. With a turnaround of 2-4 weeks. This has all been worked out by time/standard/supplies etc.

Also, this is not to be taken the wrong way, but simply basing the cost on hours spent on a project will not work. It might take one painter 2hrs to do what another could only do in 10hrs. That doesn't mean the latter is going to be worth more because s/he spent more time on it, if ya get my drift.

Oooh and don't forget to add in the cost of the game/models to the price!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Lee
msg tools
Thanks! Yeah your point about time spent is totally 100% valid.

Adam, the skull is a decal/transfer. I cheated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Linzenmeyer
United States
la porte
Texas
flag msg tools
I paint minis solely as a hobby. I have a Zombicide Season 1 with 12 minis left to paint. I will probably sell for $150.

I do this to pay for supplies and purchase the next thing I want to paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Tannahill
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Nice work doing the Guillotine logo on Josh's hoody. I wimped out, decided it was too fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangecoke wrote:
Any thoughts on the value of such a thing?

If by "value" you mean "cash dollars"...

All of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.