Subject: Character pack 6 not legal? AND drafting rules question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Barnes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The total level of the characters in pack 6 is 15, not 12 like every other team. Is one of the characters misprinted? Is it legal to play? Is there a balance it against other teams?

That leads me to my second question: If you're drafting it's possible for one team to end up with several levels higher team than the other. Do you make up for this with kamas? Demonic rewards? what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the rule book (english rules) a team MUST be exactly 12 points. No more, no less and must contain at least 2 krosmasters and no more than 8 krosmasters.

So expansion pack 6 by itself, if it is 15 points is not tournament or normal play legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Barnes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and yet the team they sell you and the drafting rules they give you allow otherwise to happen...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swingjunkie wrote:
and yet the team they sell you and the drafting rules they give you allow otherwise to happen...

The expansion packs require the base game to play and are designed to give you replayability and variety. Nothing states that the expansion packs are going to be 4 man pre made teams, new teams yes, but doesn't require 4 to equal exactly 12. But if you want to use them like that, you get 12 points to work with. Use 3 characters from pack 6 to make up 12 points one match and switch out the other to make 12 another match. I do not see a con in this. Nothing requires the use of exactly 4 characters. Just 12 points. I'm glad its a 4 character pack at 15 points rather than 3 characters at 12 points. Pick your battles better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Barnes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop being a tool. I wasn't complaining about them including 15 points worth, I was simply asking if there was a way I missed to balance teams, which can also happen with drafting as I pointed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swingjunkie wrote:
Stop being a tool. I wasn't complaining about them including 15 points worth, I was simply asking if there was a way I missed to balance teams, which can also happen with drafting as I pointed out.

You sound like a tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swingjunkie wrote:

Lol, you are completely contradicting your first reply to me. Your first post was simply asking. My first reply was simply answering. Your reply to my reply came across as a nitpick, like they were trying to pull a fast one on you. I then explained my opinions on the pack. I was only trying to help you. Congrats on making yourself look like a dick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Barnes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're the one who started with "Pick your battles better!" when I didn't battle at all. You made it sound like I was arguing or whining when I wasn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The assumption that each exp. pack is supposed to be a preset team is wrong. You have a good point about the drafting rules in the rulebook, though. You have to come up with your own method to deal with the mismatched levels. They probably should have provided one of their own, or explained that it wouldn't work with mismatched-character levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. N.
United States
California
flag msg tools
swingjunkie wrote:
You're the one who started with "Pick your battles better!" when I didn't battle at all. You made it sound like I was arguing or whining when I wasn't.

I don't see anything in Anthony's reply that sounds like he was starting anything with you or implying that you were arguing or whining.

He answered your question very clearly to me, you were the one who didn't seem satisfied with his response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
The assumption that each exp. pack is supposed to be a preset team is wrong. You have a good point about the drafting rules in the rulebook, though. You have to come up with your own method to deal with the mismatched levels. They probably should have provided one of their own, or explained that it wouldn't work with mismatched-character levels.

The drafting rules are well laid out in the rule book.

It gives you several options.

Page 21
Choice of characters

1. 2 players agree on their teams composition
2. By chance - players randomly distribute 4 character cards to each player
3. Drafting - make a pile of the character cards and flip two face up. First person takes one. The second player the other. Then 2 more get placed face up and the second player chooses first and then the first player.

Page 30
Advanced rules
Choice of characters
- your team must contain 2 to 8 krosmasters
-the total level of all of the characters in your team must be equal to 12
Gold names are unique and you may only have one in your teams composition
White names are common and you may have two of the same in your teams composition.

Sure the rules are kind of spread out, but they explain it quite well and if there are any confusing things about them, we have a community hear to help answer.

*edit* also somewhere in the rule book is a rule that says if two rules conflict each other and one rule permits something and another rule forbids it, always apply the rule that forbids it. So if you go with the by chance or random draft and your teams composition is greater than 12 points, it is forbidden and you must come to an agreement to equal the teams. But again, this is up to the players. Some people may just have fun with random drafting, no matter how unbalanced. But if you want to play strictly by the rules, then you will do what the tournament/online/rulebook rules say and make a pre determined team. You are only limited to your own frustration and expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
xMindFreak wrote:

3. Drafting - make a pile of the character cards...

Actually, upon a closer look, what it says is "Make a pile with the eight 8 [sic] cards face down..."

So to the OP, sounds like the drafting rules aren't even written to work with all characters. When they say "the eight cards" they're referring to the original 8 characters. That's why they don't take differing levels into account for the draft rules.

Since the rules don't provide a new way to draft using mismatched characters in the advanced rules, you have to come up with your own method if you want to play draft using all the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
xMindFreak wrote:

3. Drafting - make a pile of the character cards...

Actually, upon a closer look, what it says is "Make a pile with the eight 8 [sic] cards face down..."

So to the OP, sounds like the drafting rules aren't even written to work with all characters. When they say "the eight cards" they're referring to the original 8 characters. That's why they don't take differing levels into account for the draft rules.

Since the rules don't provide a new way to draft using mismatched characters in the advanced rules, you have to come up with your own method if you want to play draft using all the expansions.

That explanation does reference the base games 8 cards. I agree, but the other drafting rules look outside of the box and give other options.

The one where players make their own team with no fewer than 2 krosmasters, no more than 8 and a total team level of 12 covers everything from the base game and expansions. I'm at a loss on how that could be made anymore clear?(no offense meant)

*edit* cell phone auto correct errors and typos :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
The one where players make their own team with no fewer than 2 krosmasters, no more than 8 and a total team level of 12 covers everything from the base game and expansions. I'm at a loss on how that could be made anymore clear?(no offense meant)

Because those aren't specifically drafting rules, the way I define drafting. Seems to me that when most gamers reference a "draft", they're talking about taking turns picking from a randomly-determined reduced set of options, without all options being available to you right off the bat. I assume that's what the OP was thinking of. Like for example in the original-8 character draft layed out in the rulebook, it has you picking characters, but only from 2 at a time. Which can cause problems if some of those characters are not legal for your team.

The full advanced rules you're referencing simply give you restrictions for picking your team from the whole pool of characters, but not a reduced-option style of draft which some people might prefer for maximum variety. Again, making your own method for drafting wouldn't be terribly hard I think.

IMO if you have all the characters drafting gets kinda weird for other reasons anyway though. Like a lot of the characters have built-in synergies (Knights, Brotherhood of the Tofu, etc.) which makes them better suited for pure custom-teams than for drafting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
Quote:

Because those aren't specifically drafting rules, the way I define drafting. Seems to me that when most gamers reference a "draft", they're talking about taking turns picking from a randomly-determined reduced set of options, without all options being available to you right off the bat. I assume that's what the OP was thinking of. Like for example in the original-8 character draft layed out in the rulebook, it has you picking characters, but only from 2 at a time. Which can cause problems if some of those characters are not legal for your team.

The full advanced rules you're referencing simply give you restrictions for picking your team from the whole pool of characters, but not a reduced-option style of draft which some people might prefer for maximum variety. Again, making your own method for drafting wouldn't be terribly hard I think.

IMO if you have all the characters drafting gets kinda weird for other reasons anyway though. Like a lot of the characters have built-in synergies (Knights, Brotherhood of the Tofu, etc.) which makes them better suited for pure custom-teams than for drafting.

I agree with you about the drafting rule as worded, but this is exactly why they provided multiple options to make up your teams. One is is very specific , one is weird with expansions, is other is just crazy. You even said it yourself.. "Because those aren't specifically drafting rules, the way I define drafting.". The point I am trying to make is that the rules cover the base game and expansion pack rules right in the base game rule book very specifically. You don't need your own interpretations. Can you not agree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
I agree 100%, but this is exactly why they provided multiple options to make up your teams. Some are more serious, some are weird, others are just crazy. The point I am trying to make is that the rules cover the base game and expansion pack rules right in the base game rulebook.

I never thought/said that the rules are insufficient for playing the game with the expansions, just that there aren't really drafting rules that take the expansion characters into account. Which is fine. It's not like complete drafting rules are some god given right. But it is what it is (OP seems to want to draft using the expansion characters) so seems relevant to point it out in this post that he needs to come up with his own method to do so.

Quote:
Can you not agree?

So what am I not agreeing with exactly? You already said "I agree 100%"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Nguyen
France
flag msg tools
there are drafting rules, but for tournaments. at home you can draft as you want with your friends.

15 points is not a legal team, but the expansions are not meant to be played as a team. It is better to mix everything.

But you can play with less then 12 points. It won't do u any good, but you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Eads
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drallieiv wrote:
there are drafting rules, but for tournaments. at home you can draft as you want with your friends.

15 points is not a legal team, but the expansions are not meant to be played as a team. It is better to mix everything.

But you can play with less then 12 points. It won't do u any good, but you can.

I agree, you can totally play with less than 12 points per team and it works just fine. I think that they limit it to twelve to keep a balance of power to space on the board, i.e., too much power and/or too many characters on the board starts to skew some of the mechanics.

But if you think about games that start 4 vs 4 and end up 1 vs 1 after both teams have taken out three characters on each team, the game plays just fine. It might seem simple, but 1 vs 1 ends up being a lot like the end-game in chess: minimal but still very complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.