chad carlson
United States
Jackson
TN
flag msg tools
--I've put in 5-6 hours of game play so far with a buddy of mine with the print and play, we've really been enjoying ourselves though we've made a couple of changes to increase the decision making for each player. I'd think some other players may have made some adjustments to the game play, I'd be very interested to try out other folks' ideas and I'd certainly be interested if others wanted to try what we've suggested to see how it plays for them.

--First, instead of choosing one child to attempt a rescue (the child loses a sanity and a roll of 5+ must be made for the rescue to be successful) we've changed it so that the player can choose how many children are allocated to the rescue attempt. Each child that helps with the rescue loses a sanity in the attempt, but the roll required is lessened by each child helping, two children helping would require a 4+ roll, 4 children helping would require a 2+ roll etc. Along with this rescue attempt change we've also changed it so that rescued children return with half their starting sanity values rounding up.

--Our second big change is that for creature encounters, we allow the player to allocate the damage between the children in his group. We figure this change fits with the theme as a group of children might have a few willing to stand up and defend the group they are with, or some might turn and run and leave the others to face the consequences. In either case, making this change gives more options/control to the player.

--Thirdly, we've made it so that during their turn, a player can choose to segment his group to try and "raid" another to steal an item/piece of equipment. if a player chooses to raid another they decide how many children to commit to the raid and segment their group until their next turn, the player will roll a die for each child in the raiding party, the total rolled will be compared to a die roll for each child in the defending party. If the raiding party rolls higher they choose/"steal" an item from the defending party, if the raiding party rolls lower then the defenders, the defenders hold the raiders hostage until the raiders next turn and will face encounters during the defenders turn (likely resulting in the raiders becoming "cannon fodder")

--Lastly, at least in the first deck we've been able to try, the "story encounters" often provide details about the story of The Pale Ones' myth and often they are very damaging to the affected group of children, we've given these cards a 5 point value so a team that navigates several story encounter cards has a point value to show for it, they are not items that can be stolen, so even if a player loses all of their children by the end of the game they could have still accrued some points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played again tonight, and tweaked it a bit. First, each player draws a number of cards equal to the number of children in their group. The player may then choose the event that each child will receive.

Second: the exception to this flexibility is that one child of each player is "marked" (selected by the player at the beginning of the game). If a player draws a creature card, they *must* play it on the marked child. If they draw more than one creature card, then they must play the strongest creature card on the marked child. If the child is "lost", then the player must mark another child at the start of his or her next turn.

I liked these tweaks a lot. The first gave a sense of strategic choice, but the second gave a sense of dread. I felt a connection with the children, weighing the relative health of each one, especially the marked child as a result. I wanted to do whatever I could to save the child.

This is what the game as written failed to do. In my first game, nobody cared about the kids. They were just damage sinks, not children.

It's not enough to make the game what I would like it to be, but it's an improvement.

There are still a number of defects in the game so far:

1. Almost no player interaction. As in, zero. The only opportunities to affect another player are the two or three cards that pass damage to the left or right, or "rescuing" a child lost by another player. Otherwise it's just solitaire played side by side.

2. An excessive sense of passivity. Children don't do anything. Things just happen to them. And almost inevitably, there is little or nothing you can do to stop those things from happening.

3. There are too many story or event cards where nothing happens. While the flavor text is nice, it's still boring. My next "tweak" is to come up with conditional effects for some or most of these cards. For example one of the cards may now read "If this group of children is affected by a Gx damage card, one of them may avoid this damage." I'm still trying to work out some interesting effects that are useful or interesting, or perhaps some that are harmful, but only in certain conditions. I want to stay consistent with the intent that these cards are a "respite" from the horror, but still engage the player more than "Nothing happens."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.