uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two first custom classes were the Samurai Warrior and the Melee Mage Metamorph.

My third class, dedicated to the Scout archetype the Trapper. This class is not dedicated to items search but more to ground control and monsters hunt.

Into the wild, only the strongs survive... or the smarts. Whereas the strongs become powerful beast-masters, the smarts will need to concoct tools and strategies to get down the quickest or biggest animals.

The basic equipment for the Trapper is the Bronze Spear, not as powerful as the hunting spear but still with good reach and piercing power.

But in order to catch up the prey, no Trapper will ever go out without its Bolas, Stone balls fixed together by ropes and that will entangle the targets quick and clean. (Not talking about the fact of being hit by high speed rotating stone balls). Once immobilized, the Trapper will safely attacks the target from reach (these days, smart is the new sexy)

But a Trapper without traps is no fun. The basic skill of this class is the Wolf trap. It takes an action to set the trap, but once it is, any figure (monster or hero) that will set a foot on it will soon regret it.

The Trapper will need to think carefully about where he set its traps as it will cost fatigue to remove them.

A second rule (which may not stay after play test) says that heroes and lieutenant may try to tiptoe through the trap (twice the MP cost and an awareness check are required)

The Bolas will not hold the prey for long and the smart Trapper will quickly learn to spot weakness in the monster's hide to finish him off. Fatal Blow skill will give Pierce 3 on an attack targeting an immobilized monster.

With some black powder and a bag of nails, a Trapper with basic alchemy knowledge may produce some Explosive Trap ! Not very good if you wanted to use the leather, but pretty efficient against hordes of inadvertent goblins.
From the technical point of view, use the explosive trap token instead and remember that Blast will hit all adjacent figures ; friends or foes.

Highly unstable mechanism ? Magical crystals ? Imprisoned sprite ? No one but the Trapper really knows what triggerS the Sensitive Trap. Any creature passing near the trap will be targeted by roaring spring-propelled blades. Some very mad Trappers may combine Sensitive and Explosive traps, spreading bits of unrecognizable flesh over the area. From technical point of view, you will use the appropriate tokens : I made combined tokens, to avoid the need of stacking them.
When a sensitive explosive trap is activated, consider the activating monster as the center of the blast (he just received what looks like an home-made grenade on the skull).

The more sophisticated Trappers add water snake poisoned darts, zombie's snot, rusty nails, honey based glue, venomous mushrooms, flammable oils or simply sharpened daggers to their traps. Advanced Trap will allow you to choose a condition (Poisoned, Stunned, etc.) or an additional yellow power die that will be used during the activation of the trap. Clarification : Unless otherwise stated, a trap may only have 1 hero or condition token on it.

A good Trapper is a Primed Trapper. With ready-made traps in his bag it is quicker to set traps all over the place. No one may escape them. All the traps also gain surge +2 damage for the improved quality.

The last 2XP skill, Tactician, reveals the analytic mind of the Trapper. Leading the Hunt, he and his acolytes will circle the beasts making them move into the traps !

This capacity of anticipation allows him also to protect himself against the enemy's capacities.

The last degree of expertise is the Craftsmanship skill. The traps produce will deal more damage and will have less chance to fail.

A smart guy does not think only selfishly, with the Strategist skill, the Trapper may motivate actions for the team, and as such will often catch the objective !

As the two first classes, some balancing might be needed and all your comments are most welcomed.

3 classes published, 1 to go... the mysterious Soul Catcher for the Healer Archetype !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note, when Trollfens sees wide release, this may be kind of a redundant class. Trollfens includes the Stalker, which is a Scout Archetype class whose ability is to lay down traps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Just a note, when Trollfens sees wide release, this may be kind of a redundant class. Trollfens includes the Stalker, which is a Scout Archetype class whose ability is to lay down traps.

OMG ! They must have peek over my shoulder !

I'll look forward it but, to my knowledge, it as not come yet to my shores.

Thanks for the info, nevertheless. Do you have more info on the mechanisms used by FFG ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4267

Quote:
Finding a Latari Elf skilled in the ways of wilderness isn’t a difficult task, but even among her kin, few could claim Roganna’s prowess. As a reclusive sort at home in any portion of forest, plains, or swamp, Roganna will live anywhere as long as it lies far removed from any irritants of civilized life. She prefers seclusion above all else, even avoiding her own people, and as the march of progress continues in the lands around, Roganna finds herself retreating deeper and deeper into the wilds.

Roganna long ago learned the importance of keeping her enemy at a safe distance, whether that enemy is cornered prey or a thrashing Plague Worm. To that end, she boasts an impressive speed value of “5,” and her Hero Ability reflects her preference for personal space. What’s more, Roganna’s Heroic Feat allows her to extend this philosophy to her fellow heroes; with it, she can prevent ranged attacks against her entire party for a full round!

The strike-and-run tactics that these abilities suggest are a perfect fit for the new Stalker class. An authority on traps and lures, the Stalker excels at hastily constructing deadly contraptions to poison, explode, or otherwise incapacitate her unwary foes. The centerpiece of the Stalker’s repertoire is her

Set Trap ability and the trap tokens it places. Once placed, these powerful tokens can become a bane to monsters or a boon to heroes, depending on the Stalker’s line of training.

With Makeshift Trap, for instance, the Stalker can turn her traps into sources of rest and regeneration; heroes adjacent to trap tokens recover at the start of each turn. Similarly,

Lay of the Land allows heroes to search without spending an all-important action.

Helping your fellow heroes is certainly admirable, but players selecting the Stalker class will likely want to hunt their foes like wild animals...and the the Stalker’s Class deck offers plenty of opportunities to do just that.

Poison Barbs lets you choose the perfect moment to fire toxic darts at nearby monsters, while

Ambush grants you a surprise attack. You can also help take down difficult bosses with

Hunter’s Mark, which lends a to any hero attacking the Stalker’s target.

The implications of a trap-laying class in Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition are particularly exciting given the number of quests in which the overlord must send his minions from one end of the map to another. For example, you can imagine the benefits of planting deadly traps in the corridor down which the goblins must run in the base game’s quest “A Fat Goblin.” Even in other quests, trap laying suggests some highly useful cross-class synergies. The Geomancer from Lair of the Wyrm can use the Gravity Spike skill to move monsters against their will. What if he moved them directly into the path of a newly set trap? Traps have long been the exclusive dominion of the overlord. With The Trollfens, the heroes will finally get a chance to prepare a few surprises of their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:

Do I see a Melee weapon and a ranged that can immobilize ? It seems that when ou follow a thought, it will lead to same sort of ideas.

Still, lots of traps are triggered from distance, targets only the monsters or grant strange capacities (like the free search action), IMO.

With only 1 damage to take I think that, as OL, I would not hesitate to cross a trapped area... But I do not see the whole picture yet.

Thus, I think I'll play test my poor Trapper, before he is totally in the Shade of Roganna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We still don't know all the cards. Maybe there will be skill increasing damage from traps. Plus heroes might leave monsters alive with 1health and position so OL won't be able to get to them without killing the monsters. OL has no way to cancel trap wounds, and he will be given a choice:
1) leave monster alive and have it still at 1health next turn
or
2) kill it on a trap and respawn it, but usually not before start of your next turn

We all know that killing monster just to have it respawn immediately is a pain for heroes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody !

Did a bit of play test with the Trapper today and it was a disaster.
I was doing First blood quest with 2 heroes (Alvric as Disciple and Jain as Trapper)

With not enough power to hurt the Etin, I tried to set a Trap on the way of the Goblins, but with activation only when someone step on it, it was kind of useless. To block the passage took two whole turns, and by this time at least 4 Goblins had ran away. As it almost took all my time, the Etin was in one-on-one fight with Alvric and with the B+Y of the mass, we where far from the end.

After the test, I have to admit, that the adjacent triggering is a must-be from the start, at least if you hope for any ground control (diagonal movement kill any other choice)

With adjacent triggering, a B+R attack is too much, so the 1 damage chosen by FFG is the good solution. But who was doubting them ? they probably tested their classes over and over !

For the moment, I think that I will set aside the Trapper, as any improving it will only get me closer from the Stalker class.

Hopefully, I may have a really original class for the Healer (maybe a bit too much ?)... Stay tuned !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.