Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious as to the thoughts of the many BGG's here.

There is a Kickstarter that I have been following since its start, and I think it looks really cool and I think I'd enjoy it. The 2 main reasons I haven't pulled the trigger are: the cost (it's a pretty expensive game, even for KS) and the fact that I'm not sure it'd ever get to the table.

So I submit to you, what would you do?

Poll
If you think you'd really like a game, but it was expensive and you weren't sure you'd ever play it, would you still buy it?
Yes, irregardless, because I like it.
Yes, but only because it's on KS and I may never get another chance.
Only if the rest of my group that it was cool too.
No, because of the cost.
No, because of the playing factor
No, I don't buy KS games.
Other (if you can think of one, comment below)
      95 answers
Poll created by Bruiser419

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which one is it?

Edit: Picked "No, I don't buy .." but really wanted all of the above. Why risk it. Why buy expensive. Why buy stuff you don't think you'll get to play? ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Textile trader the Elizabethan edition?:whistle:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Which one is it?

Edit: Picked "No, I don't buy .." but really wanted all of the above. Why risk it. Why buy expensive. Why buy stuff you don't think you'll get to play? ..

Forgot about that one. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Textile trader the Elizabethan edition?whistle

Norfolk edition is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Kickstarter. Save yourself the heartache of overpaying for a game you won't play. Save yourself the heartache of giving money 6-12 months before you will ever see the game. Save yourself the stress of reading weekly updates about the color of the rulebook ink, the flakiness of that one last artist that was going to finish it up for them, the slowness of the printing process and the boat, and the annoyance of watching all those Coolstuffinc customers get the game before you for $5 less than you paid.

Honestly, I don't get people's fascination with Kickstarter games. They have weak rulebooks, inconsistent gameplay, are overpriced, and are produced by people that usually have never produced a game before. I've played far more misses than hits from Kickstarter. The one thing that is consistent with Kickstarter, however, is ideas. The games usually have interesting ideas and concepts and are fairly unique. But they just don't have staying power on my shelf.

My advice: Let everyone else finance it for you. Let BGG reviews establish the value of it. Then buy it when the price comes down. For now, put that $75 towards a game you can play today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the majority seem to say pass, which is what I'm leaning towards. Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacre Bleu
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought only one game on kickstarter, and it's because I know the guys who made it.

I don't trust kickstarter enough to spend a large sum on something that might never materialize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy it! What is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are sure the game won't EVER get to the table, then don't bother.
If you think the game MIGHT get to the table, buy it.
As for cost, that's something between you and your bank account. Have a one-on-one with each other and try to come to an understanding ; )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Buy it! What is it?

Burning Suns.

The money is only a bigger deal because it probably won't ever get played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HawkeyeLonewolf wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:
cbazler wrote:
Buy it! What is it?

Burning Suns.

The money is only a bigger deal because it probably won't ever get played.

That's kinda where I was... another game where a computer version would just work better.... easier to manage the combinations, find players, etc...

And P.S. "irregardless" is not a word

Actually it is...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacre Bleu
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to read the text of the link you provided.

English is not a prescriptive language, so you can't technically say "that's not a word", but you can absolutely say "that's not a generally accepted word", as the page you linked says. It suggests to use regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Brauchler
United States
Mansfield
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This.

mjacobsca wrote:
It's Kickstarter. Save yourself the heartache of overpaying for a game you won't play. Save yourself the heartache of giving money 6-12 months before you will ever see the game. Save yourself the stress of reading weekly updates about the color of the rulebook ink, the flakiness of that one last artist that was going to finish it up for them, the slowness of the printing process and the boat, and the annoyance of watching all those Coolstuffinc customers get the game before you for $5 less than you paid.

Honestly, I don't get people's fascination with Kickstarter games. They have weak rulebooks, inconsistent gameplay, are overpriced, and are produced by people that usually have never produced a game before. I've played far more misses than hits from Kickstarter. The one thing that is consistent with Kickstarter, however, is ideas. The games usually have interesting ideas and concepts and are fairly unique. But they just don't have staying power on my shelf.

My advice: Let everyone else finance it for you. Let BGG reviews establish the value of it. Then buy it when the price comes down. For now, put that $75 towards a game you can play today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No because of the cost, Kickstarter, AND playing factor.

Personally I don't ever buy any kickstarter games because I have lots of games and I see no reason to buy games at MSRP when I can buy them on sale. I will occasionally buy a game I'm not sure I will play, but only if it is dirt cheap on clearance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind kickstarter--as long as other people are doing it. I'll follow along with interest, but don't bother me until you have proven that people are willing to take up inventory space in their store for your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.