14 Posts

Golem Arcana» Forums » General

Subject: Lore Etymology rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Muhammad Khan
Canada
flag msg tools
One thing that fascinates me about Golum Aracana is the inspiration this game takes from South/Central/Middle-Eastern cultures and lore, which sets it apart from the standard KS table top game(along with a dozen other obvious things). The names, surnames, titles, location names are in most cases real nouns with proper definitions and history behind them. I will try to list some information about them in this post, using of course online dictionaries, Wikipedia and whatever I remember from Asian Studies minor I took in university. There is no alphabetical ordering for this, I will basically go top down from the Golum arcane KS page.

Additions, corrections, comments are always welcome and encouraged. Read it for lore inspiration, trivial or just for the heck of it 

Hamazi Empire:> was an ancient kingdom or city-state of some importance that reached its peak ca. 2500-2400 BC. Its exact location is unknown, but is thought to have been located in the western Zagros mountains roughly between Elam and Assyria, possibly near modern Hamadan.

Zikia Codex:> Zikia was an ancient nation that once lived on the eastern coast of the Black Sea, centered on present-day western Georgia. Historians think “they were partly nomad shepherds, partly brigands and pirates, for which latter vocation they had ships specially adapted”.

Durani Codex:> The Durani Empire was established in 1747 by Ahmad Shah Durrani at Kandahar, Afghanistan. It included the land that is now called Afghanistan, Pakistan, eastern Iran and western India. All Durani Kings were titled Great Khans.

Urugal Codex:> Urugal is the name of the great underworld city of the dead according the ancient Sumerian(Modern day Iraq) cosmology.

Guddana Codex:> Guddana was a powerful large bull of Sumerian (Modren day Iraq) mythology created by Anu by the orders of Ishtar. It had a devastating poisonous breath that could kill two hundred warriors. Ishtar sent the bull to kill the hero Gilgamesh who refused to be her partner. Gilgamesh and his companion Enkidu managed to kill the bull but Enkidu was slain in revenge by Ishtar.

Jauti Ishtimesh, Learned Master of the University of Ur:> Jauti in Sanskrit (Indian) language means Light, it’s a female name. Ur was ancient city state in modern day Iraq.

Khan:> Is an originally Mongol and subsequently Central Asian title for a sovereign or military ruler. It now has many equivalent meanings such as commander, leader, ruler, and Chieftain. Presently Khans exist in South Asia, Central Asia, Eastern Europe and Turkey.
Uruk Dominion: Uruk was an another ancient city-state in modern day Iraq.

Raga (Princess) Nandanna:> Raga is Sanskrit (Indian) for musical note/melody, Nandanna is Sanskrit(Indian) for Happiness.

Jahnu: A saint in ancient Indian folklore.
Dasra: Derived from the Sanskrit (Indian) meaning Remover of bad fate.
Vanya: Sanskrit (Indian) meaning Queen of the forest
Rudatha: Sanskrit (Indian) meaning dynamic, restless, independent, ready to accept challenges, and outspoken.
Sudhamra: literally Sanskrit(Indian) for “a person who is the temple of Faith”
Sunu: Means “male child” in a lot of indo-Asiatic languages
Bijin: Word of Chinese/Japanese origin meaning Beautiful person.
Anaga: Derived from naga(serpent)?
Daku: title used in South-Asia for someone who is a Bandit/Outlaw
Supakva: Sanskrit(Indian) for beautifully well made.
Sajjata: Sanskrit(Indian) A person who has risen or appeared.
Raksa: Sanskrit (Indian) Protector
Ziroruja: Sanskrit (Indian) Devil Tree
Utsuka: Sanskrit(Indian) Curious,inquisitive
Akarya: Sanskrit (Indian) Sinful,Criminal
Trana Zazvata: Sanskrit (Indian) Eternal Anthem
Mahatavi: A forest in Southern India.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
That is some really fascinating stuff; I never would have guessed most of those had real origins. Thanks for putting all that together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Khan
Canada
flag msg tools
You are welcome JR ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice... thanks Mr. Khan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Khan
Canada
flag msg tools
You are welcome Karl :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul & Andrea Mumby
Canada
flag msg tools
Very cool stuff, this is very interesting info. You should consider posting some of it up on the wiki and forums at http://www.eretsu.net as well.

Thanks for sharing this! REALLY hoping this game hits it's kickstarter goal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasshu za Sutanpīdo
msg tools
Agreed, as someone who studies these topics from an anthropological and historic point of view, and who is also an avid tabletop gamer, it's quite fun to see this mythos evolving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Khan
Canada
flag msg tools
You are welcome Paul,Andrea and Vasshu, yes i have posted it in http://www.eretsu.net as well.

Regards
Khan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They didn't officially announce it, but the Add-Ons Menu now gives the Durani Colossus name as "Jagara". I did a quick google search and the results indicate that this is a male Hindu name meaning "armor".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Castro
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zesu_shadaban wrote:
They didn't officially announce it, but the Add-Ons Menu now gives the Durani Colossus name as "Jagara". I did a quick google search and the results indicate that this is a male Hindu name meaning "armor".

Well that is fitting. That beast is probably going to have the highest armour value in the entire game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kingler25 wrote:
Raga (Princess) Nandanna:> Raga is Sanskrit (Indian) for musical note/melody, Nandanna is Sanskrit(Indian) for Happiness.

There is, to the best of my knowledge, no Sanskrit word नन्दन्न nandanna.

There is नन्दन nandana which can mean, amongst others, frog, son, Indra's paradise, a particular type of temple, rejoice but that's a rather different spelling and would have a different pronunciation to "nandanna" and pronunciation is very important.

There is also नन्दना nandanā which means daughter and नान्दन nāndana which means paradise.

राग rāga can mean harmony or melody, especially a particular religious type of music, but can also mean sun, moon, love/passion/desire (including being one of the three poisons in Buddhism), king, prince, dye/to dye, colour/red etc.

kingler25 wrote:
Anaga: Derived from naga(serpent)?

नग naga can mean immobile/mountain, snake, any tree or plant, sun, the number seven, etc.

नाग nāga can mean a deity in the form of a snake, one of a race of demons with human upper body and snake tail, shark, best, that one of of the five airs of the body which is expelled by eructation (burping), talc, a particular manner of coitus, etc.

अनाग anāga means sinless.

It's a nice list and well done for attempting it. Unless the designers are scholars of Sanskrit they probably will have chosen the simplest, most obvious translations but one can't always tell directly.

Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Read
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm guessing that the Gudanna Colossus "Valkali" is a hybrid of the femail norse Valkyries & the Hindu goddess Kali???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sotonrich wrote:
I'm guessing that the Gudanna Colossus "Valkali" is a hybrid of the femail norse Valkyries & the Hindu goddess Kali???

Could be but since, as OP points out, all the rest of the inspiration seems to be taken from oriental sources it doesn't seem likely especially as the model doesn't show any northern influence in its design.

vAlkali is a proper noun in Sanskrit, albeit a man's name (used for a particular monk as disciple to the Buddha Gautama and in the Sthala Puranas as a sage) and Valkal is a common enough Hindi boy's name. While I'd be more inclined to think it just a simple re-purposing of an existing name relying audience familiarity with Kali as a goddess, it could be a pun based on the creation of golems:

वल् - vAl - to move, (to cause) to move
काली - kAlI - a particular type of clay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Coincidence or not, that's a darned good pun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.