ivan ivanov
msg tools
mbmb
Hi guys,
I have planned to introduce this in our group as a 2v2/3v3 game. We are seasoned board/card gamers, but we hardly have any experience in minis, so I am by no means sure that we will ever like it, so I am going for the minimal investment. I am thinking of starting with 2x core + 1 XW + 1 TF, targeting to play 100 pt. games. Do you think that such a set will work fine for 4-6 players? In case we fall in love with the system, I am thinking of the following buys:
- 2(1)TA + 2(3) YW
- Sl1 + MF
- 2 TI + Imperial Aces + 2 AW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corran Horn
United States
California
flag msg tools
That's a good start to get a feel for the game and how it plays, but you'll definitely be missing a lot of variety. With only 3 x-wings and 5 TIE fighters, you can certainly play at 100 points, but they will likely be sub-optimal builds because you'll have to load them up with extra bells and whistles (better pilots, unnecessary upgrades) to get them to that point level.

For example, picking the 3 most expensives pilots for X-wings will leave you at 83 points. You could get to 100 by giving all 3 torpedoes and an astromech droid to 2 of them.

That being said, it should probably give you a pretty good idea of how the game plays. If you and your group have taken a look at the game and it seems fun and interesting to you, then it most likely will be, especially if you guys are Star Wars fans.

The true fun of the game's potential really starts to shine as you add a different variety of ships along with the large variety of upgrade cards they come with. If you plan on playing 2v2/3v3 a lot, it'll probably mean you'll want to bump up the point value, which will require a) more ships and b) more time to finish a game.

Edit: I went and built 2 squads with 3 x-wings and 5 TIE fighters using the most expensive things possible with what you'd have.

Rebels
Luke Skywalker (26) + Proton Torpedoes (4) + R2-D2 (4)
Wedge Antilles (29) + Proton Torpedoes (4) + R2 Astromech (1)
Garven Dreis (26) + Proton Torpedoes (4)
= 100

Imperials:
Howlrunner (18) + Marksmanship (3)
Mauler Mithel (17) + Marksmanship (3)
Dark Curse (16)
Backstabber (16)
Winged Gundark (15)
= 88
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say add in a Tie Ad to give you six Impy ships total, and a decent path to 100 on a budget, that also breaks up easily for 2v2 or 3v3 games, as each Imp will get either two Ties each, or one Tie Ad and two Ties each in 3v3. And, either three each in 2v2, or the three and two (one Tie Ad and one Tie). It's only one more ship, so dipping a toe instead of diving right in, and gives you Vader as well. Which also means, that Anakin will be bringing balance to your force, by evening out how you split ships up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had a lot of success with just Wedge, Luke and Biggs, but looking at it I realise I've got cards from both the YT-1300 and the Firespray in that list. So I guess I won't trot it out here.

Still, as a "is this fun?" starting point I think your plan is reasonable. However, rather than shoot for 100 point lists off the bat, go for each player getting 30, so 60 points per side.

That gives the Rebel players 1 X-wing each, probably a named pilot with a couple upgrades, and the Imp players two TIEs each - either two of the lower named pilots, or 1 souped-up pilot and 1 mook. (For 3v3 you'll want 6 TIEs, though, because TIEs die fast and you really want each player to have two.)

Your planned expansion path looks decent. The general wisdom is that the only TIE Advanced worth having is Vader, and with the Bomber available to carry missiles I'm kind of inclined to agree. Though the Advanced is somewhat more of a dogfighter, it's also expensive as hell and there's usually a better choice in an Imperial list. Likewiase, most people find little value in more than two Y-Wings. (Though I think both of these factors will skew if you start playing 200 point 2v2 or 3v3 games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MÃ¥rten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 X-wing is very competitive.
Wedge + Biggs + Luke is great combination where if you fly correctly Biggs will take hits and crits. Crits will be forwarded to Luke who will regenerate shields with R2-D2.

Luke
Draw Their Fire
R2-D2
Shield Upgrade

Biggs
Stealth Device
R2-F2

Wedge
Push The Limit

Sure, you don't get all the cards, but if you don't mind proxying in the beginning you can get cards later.

Imperial with 5 Tie Fighters isn't that nice.
I would say either 6 Tie Fighters (all named pilots) or getting either ONE Tie Advanced (playing Vader) or you can also go Tie Interceptor way.

Darth Vader
Swarm Tactics

Howlrunner
Swarm Tactics

4x Academy Pilots (or 3 + 1 Black Squadron to go to 100 or stay with 4 AP to get Initiative)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly my situation as well. Nobody in my gaming circle plays minis, so it's up to me to supply all the ships and teach them how to play. I also expect to be playing a lot of 2v2 games.

Two core sets is a great place to start. As others have said, to keep some balance points-wise in a 3v3 game, you probably want to get either an X-wing or a Y-wing for the Rebels and probably a TIE Advanced for the Imperials. Those expansions will give you some variety but still be playable as a 1v1, 2v2, or 3v3 game.

I wouldn't worry about getting enough ships to field a competitive 100-point squad, as that doesn't seem to be your objective. The game is fun, regardless of the point limit you use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.