Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Need some advice using Acryllic spray coat for dials rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corran Horn
United States
California
flag msg tools
I recently took the time to finally get a storage solution set up for my collection, but the last piece of the puzzle was deciding to take the steps to protect my dials. Washers are pretty difficult to find despite having 2 major chain hardware stores in my town. I could order some online, but it would be quite a bit of wait. I decided to try out the acrylic spray coat solution because I had seen a lot of recommendations about how easy it was to apply. If it turned out they weren't going to stick together, I'd probably not bother trying to find washers. Unfortunately for me, my results have left me disappointed so far

First, I did a trial run on some tokens because when you have over 20 ships, you have plenty of extras. I laid out some flat cardboard in the garage, put some wax paper on it and lay the tokens on that. After giving it a spray,it looked like some of them still weren't even wet. I probably applied way too much of this stuff unnecessarily, but I'm not very experienced with this kind of thing. I let it dry for 2 hours, then went out and flipped them over to do the other side. They mostly peeled off the wax easy enough, and I gave it 2 more hours for that side to dry before bringing them in the house and putting them on a dry sheet of wax paper to dry overnight. This was Wednesday evening.

Next day, I pick them up and fiddle with them. They certainly look better and shiny, but after handling them you almost feel like you have something on your fingers and there is still a bit of a smell from the spray. A couple of them had some spots on one side, I'm not sure if some sort of dirt/dust fell on it while drying, or if the wax paper got stuck to it and tore off when I picked them up.

I decided to give it a go with one of my dials. This time, I put it on a small piece of wax when I sprayed it and brought it immediately into the house. After 2 hours, I peeled them off the wax, but one of them seemed to kind of tear. The back of one of them had a lot of crap around part of the circumference. Since it was the part that wasn't important, I decided to just finish it up and do the other side. After 2 more hours, I took a look and was not pleased with the result. I sprayed these thursday night, and here's a picture of them saturday afternoon.

I've gotten a few opinions on what this might be:
1) I oversprayed, and the excess dripped and pooled underneath it
2) The wax paper stuck to the dial a bit and some got torn off with it
3) The oil from my hands got on the dial, and thus the spray didn't bond to that part
4) A combination of the above

So I guess I'm looking for more opinions on this from people who have used the spray coat solution. I liked the idea of how easy it would be, but so far I'm unhappy with the ease of us and not crazy about how they still feel sticky without being actually sticky, and still have a bit of a smell to them despite being days later. Right now I'm a bit peeved that I might have wasted 10 bucks on the spray and mucked up one of my dials and have to do a different solution.

Here's the spray I bought for reference:
http://www.michaels.com/Krylon%C2%AE-Crystal-Clear-Acrylic-G...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI...i got these washers from amazon in 2 days:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OLNDD2/ref=oh_details_o...

they work really well. no need to glue the connector together & gives a perfect gap between the 2 sides of the dials. whatever you end up doing, might be a good idea to combine it with the washers anyways
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bayn 0
msg tools
When I did mine, and I've used the spray before on my art work too, I've never used wax paper. Try spraying on just cardboard, that should absorb any extra over spray, since it sounds like its pooling under your dial.

Also what kind of spray did you get? Did you get it from an art store?

(here's my post on the subject "http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13451751#13451751")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corran Horn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mauigreen wrote:

they work really well. no need to glue the connector together & gives a perfect gap between the 2 sides of the dials. whatever you end up doing, might be a good idea to combine it with the washers anyways

Man, first thing I looked at was amazon but couldn't find anything available that was a) nylon, b) thin and c) 5/16". I probably looked right past this one because it's 1/4". That's pretty damn close in size, good to know that you didn't have any issues with it. Thanks for the heads-up! I've heard washers make the dials spin easier, but I've been wondering if it makes them move around too easy to where they don't stay put when you put them facedown during the planning phase.

bayn wrote:
When I did mine, and I've used the spray before on my art work too, I've never used wax paper. Try spraying on just cardboard, that should absorb any extra over spray, since it sounds like its pooling under your dial.

Also what kind of spray did you get? Did you get it from an art store?

(here's my post on the subject "http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13451751#13451751")

haha, actually your post was the one that convinced me to give it a shot. I grabbed mine at Michael's as well (link at the bottom of the OP). I saw a post somewhere from someone who did it that said they had one of their pieces stick to the cardboard, and when they took it off it tore a piece of cardboard with it and it was stuck to the dial. I thought putting it on wax paper was a clever solution to that, it didn't even enter my mind that would cause a problem.

Maybe I'll give another dial a try, this time trying to do a lighter coat and not using the wax paper. Maybe move them to something dry after 15-20 minutes? Hmm...

In any case, the pieces I have done are totally dry, but when I handle them my fingers still come away feeling very slightly oily. Has that been your experience? It's weird. If I stack them together for awhile they do "stick" together, but it takes almost no effort to separate them again. I can live with that, but I'm not sure how I feel about always feeling like my hands are dirty when I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't sprayed my dials but I've used coatings a bit and here's my thoughts:

1) Usually these products say dry to the touch in 1-2 hours or so. This doesn't mean it is completely hard. If you set them on something after 2 hours with the sprayed surface down, it can distort the nice coat you've made because it hasn't completely hardened. In general I would leave them for at least 24 hours to completely harden before doing anything with them.

2) Use multiple light coats instead of 1 heavy coat. So spray a light coat, wait 1-2 hours and spray again. Repeat as desired.

3) you might be able to fix your first dial by going down to your local auto parts place and picking up some 1000 grit sandpaper. LIGHTLY sand the surface and then spray 1 or 2 more light coats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
Nivek5150 wrote:
mauigreen wrote:

Man, first thing I looked at was amazon but couldn't find anything available that was a) nylon, b) thin and c) 5/16". I probably looked right past this one because it's 1/4". That's pretty damn close in size, good to know that you didn't have any issues with it. Thanks for the heads-up! I've heard washers make the dials spin easier, but I've been wondering if it makes them move around too easy to where they don't stay put when you put them facedown during the planning phase.

they turn slightly easier with the washers but it still takes "effort" to turn them. there is no way they'd turn without you intentionally turning the dial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebel Pilot
msg tools
A little faster and certainly easier on your dials is the clear cellophane packing tape, the heavy duty kind. Just put it on all the surfaces that will experience rubbing (front, back & movements). you can do all your tokens too, but as you said you have tons of them, plus you can buy 3rd party acrylics down the road to replace them. Best part is, if the tape does begin to wear or pull up, it comes off fairly cleanly and you can just replace it. $3 for a roll, that will last you for effectively the life of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mauigreen wrote:

I picked up about 20 of these today at my local hardware store.
At 16 cents each, it's a really inexpensive fix.
The inside diameter of the washer fits snugly over the larger diameter of the "rivet," and the outer diameter of the washer isn't much bigger than the rivet.
My only question is how well the rivet halves will stay together.
With the washer sandwiched between the two dial halves, there's a lot less of the two rivet halves interlocking with each other.
But the two dials I've converted seem reasonably secure.
Great suggestion.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8at eNTrOpY
msg tools
Hi all, I recently picked up the x-wing core set and the wave 1 expansions and have been having a blast with the game (8+ games in the past week).

I'm starting to notice a little bit wear on some of the cardboard components (the square ship tokens, a couple of maneuver templates, the dials, etc.) and managed to find the various posts here and on FFG's forums about using an acrylic sealer to protect them. I ended up picking up this sealer (http://www.plaidonline.com/mod-podge-clear-acrylic-sealer-ma...) since I wasn't able to track down the Krylon brand locally (hopefully it'll work!).

Before I try it out on a test piece, I wanted to see if anyone who has done the sealer approach knows if it would also help to prevent potential pealing/fraying of the cardboard layers? If it won't help stop that, should I look at applying a clear glue or something around the sides of the pieces to prevent this (if so, any difference if I apply it before or after the sealer)?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I clear-coated the dials (normal brush-on miniature coat because I had it) and added washers I made out of plastic to make it easier to turn the dials. Works well, and should slow down the wear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really want to use the clicks ready for any to give a reason?

I bought a sheet of clear contact paper, and use that to cover the inside part of the dial (the side with the maneuvers on it), and the top part of the dial. It works perfectly, I never had any problems with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.