Subject: Small cavalry skirmish at Henry Clay's house, Lexington Kentucky rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Lexington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lexington, Kentucky

The weather was beautiful this morning and it turned into a fine day. There was a fun small Civil War reenactment at Henry Clay's house. This was in homage to Confederate General John Hunt Morgan, a prominent Lexington native.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hunt_Morgan

Quote:
Late in the night of October 17, 1862, Morgan learned of an encampment of Union troops in the woods to the rear of the mansion at Ashland. Morgan decided to take the opportunity to create distraction by attacking this Union encampment. At dawn on October 18, 1862, Morgan attacked the 294 members of the 3rd and 4th Ohio Cavalry at Ashland with some 1800 of his 2nd, 3rd, and 9th Kentucky Cavalrymen and artillery section. Morgan divided his forces and they attacked the small camp of Ohioans from both sides. The engagement lasted only about 15 minutes due to the overwhelming Confederate force. Four Union troops were killed, 290 (including 24 wounded) were taken prisoner. The number of Confederate casualties is unknown but included John Hunt Morgan’s cousin George Washington “Wash” Morgan who was mortally wounded. Morgan paroled the Union prisoners on the steps of the Ashland mansion later that day.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashland_(Henry_Clay_estate)[/url]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lexington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My amatuer pictures of the event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there last year and walked the grounds. The tour talked about the battle, and there's a marker outside on the grounds. I didn't know they did reenactments there, though! Cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lexington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hadn't realized since I do walk there so much that it was a pay event. I had walked over a back way so hadn't seen the signs till this morning. It was a bit expensive in my opinion, $14 per adult, $7 for children and a $35 family special. It is an expensive estate to keep up but I think they could have done some fundraising in another way.

They have other events there throughout the year which aren't necessarily historical. They have a fun Jazz Sunday late in the summer that people enjoy. Its mostly people living close by so sort of a neighborhood event. Also in the summer is a big croquet tournament where everyone has fun wearing all white like its some old time event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.