Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: It would be great to see individual ships! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Wizkids should market individual ships.. So instead of buying the expansion, I would like to be able just to buy the ship with its 3cards(named ship, regular ship, and movement chart) for 10$.

When building fleets of 3-4 ships.. Dishing out 15$ a ship gets expensive really fast. Especially when a lot of the cards and tokens become very redundant after 2-3 expansions.

At 10$ for every 2 ships the third would be free.

What does everyone else think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great but it's never going to happen.

The profit margin on a couple cards and an extra piece of cardboard are a lot, so they'll continue to put things out and charge $15.

The counter to that is the person who just buys a single wave 1 or 2 or 3 expansion. They should get everything to play with that ship as well.

Yes, at some point you're going to have far more target locks and disabled tokens than you'll ever need, but I'd rather have too many than not enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will never happen. Why sell things like that individually when, for the most part, they can force people to pay the extra $4-5 for everything they might not want? The only reason to price discriminate like that is to capture potential lost profit, but I doubt there are that many people out there not willing to buy everything for $15 that all of the sudden would get it for $10 to justify the added costs/effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that.. But as someone that plays a few Wizkids games. when u consider the exact same models get used in herclix at 5$ it's 1/3 the price.
I find it hard to justify buying extra ships to make some of my constructed teams when I have to dish out that much money for a ship i might use a few times

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I just posted about the other end of this...cards without ships

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13536455#13536455

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if a store opened up the packs. And sold individual pieces it could be profitable.. The ship with its cards 10$ all other cards .50$, captains 1-3$. Sought after cards 2-5$.. Could make it very worth it.. Do token packs for 4-5$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that splitting cards from ships is their best profit model. It just goes to why I tend to stay away from collectible games in that...I like to have all of a game. I think it comes from growing up on standard board and card games where the game comes complete. Its not that I'm a collector, I don't really have collections, but rather not wanting to miss out on parts of a game I enjoy.

and before anyone says this is not collectible because it is non-random draw purchase, I was referring to collecting in the more traditional acquiring related items sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm looking at it more competitively. For me owning 2-3x the same expansion is useless.. But having 2-3 of the ship isn't bad.. I just don't need everything that comes in the pack.. And under that principle.. We know that the ships are profitable at 5$, because they sell them for heroclix at that price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not going to happen, never in a million years. It may be $5 for a Tactics ship, but they're not paying anyone else for the license to produce Tactics, on top of producing the ships themselves. I'm not going to get into one of those cost to produce and license arguments here, but WK has costed this out at these prices for whatever profit margin they've decided on. And, I doubt it's $5 on marker tokens. It's $15 for the ship and cards, the tokens are free as far as sales pricing really goes. They're padding the contents with tokens to justify the price tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not sure where you are buying yours from, but I get the full expansions for $10 here, so that would actually be costing me more for less in the packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As someone who won't be able to partake in any FLGS OP events due to extreme distance required to travel it would be pretty nice to see a "Dice Expansion" that includes some attack and defense dice and one of those Elite Attack Dice with its card.

I think the prices per ship aren't too bad where they are at the moment considering what you get in the package, sure the models aren't amazingly painted BUT if you spend a bit of time you can get some pretty impressive results out of them - See the image gallery for great examples including my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know you can just buy singles from the Star Trek Tactics line, and stands and dials from Litko, and copy the generic cards you already have, right? Way less than $10/ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Gash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
There are some ships I want multiples of but I'm happy to wait until they sell a sister ship with a different set of cards so I don't end up doubling up on Uniques.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
pigasuspig wrote:
You know you can just buy singles from the Star Trek Tactics line, and stands and dials from Litko, and copy the generic cards you already have, right? Way less than $10/ship.

I've been meaning to ask, are the ship bases for X Wing the same size as the ship bases used in Attack Wing? I've seen Litko's X Wing collection. Seems like I read that the maneuver templates are somewhat different which had me wondering about the base size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Becker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
badge
Banana!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not taking WizKids side on this, but don't forget that they licensed the Flight Path system from FF and are probably paying a % of everything sold, back to FF. Plus there is probably a non-compete clause where they have to set prices at a minimum, like to like with X-wing, so even by re-using Heroclix models, their profit margin might be close to FF's on X-Wing based on the licensing agreement.

I too wish things were a little bit cheaper, especially what you get with the model quality. We all know we can pick these up about 30% off online (not counting shipping), but my FLGS gives us 10% on game days and 20% on OP event days. With all that they do for us, I will be supporting my local store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.