Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Turn sequence breakdown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the forum is the right place for discussion of the rules, so I'm opening a thread to discuss the contents of the turn sequence doc I have published on BGG.

You can find the docs here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/95118/turn-sequence-breakd...

This thread is to discuss my understanding of the PACG rules and the interpretation as represented in that doc. Basically this thread is to provide feedback and tell me what I've got wrong and what could be added/improved in the doc!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
mbmbmbmbmb
This should answer a lot of questions we see on the forums. I do think you have one thing wrong though. On page 8 you state that cards which add to a check add their traits.

See this answer from the FAQ:

Quote:
On the same page, under Play Cards that Affect the Check, add the following at the end of the paragraph:
"Do not add traits from these cards to the check. For example, playing the spell Guidance does not give the check the Divine trait."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
This should answer a lot of questions we see on the forums. I do think you have one thing wrong though. On page 8 you state that cards which add to a check add their traits.

Quote:
On the same page, under Play Cards that Affect the Check, add the following at the end of the paragraph:
"Do not add traits from these cards to the check. For example, playing the spell Guidance does not give the check the Divine trait."

Oh, wow. I had that completely wrong. (I loved the combo of Valeros recharging a shock longbow to add Magic and Ranged traits, this let the character in combat, who was fighting unarmed, defeat a spectre, and another character used the named archer ally (I forget her name) to "add 1d4 to a ranged combat check".)

Will double check that this is not possible. Then sob a little. And then update the doc. (Updated text is in v0.3, I'll cry about it later.)

Thanks for the catch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoid wrote:
Christian, it looks very promising. One note - in the Check sequence, currently there's no step to apply effects like "-1 for every die rolled" penalty. Should be probably added to step 5.

Done - this will be in v0.3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:

Quote:

Except this is not wholly correct, as posts from Mike on the Paizo forums have indicated.

Attacking with a +1 Longsword, for instance, does add both the Magic and Slashing traits to the attack. Attacking with any spell (or using Guidance) adds the Magic trait. Attacking with the +1 Longbow of Shock adds the Piercing, Magic, and Electrical traits.

It would make very little sense otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's simplified as - cards or powers used to set/change your skill for the check (step 1) add their traits. Cards and powers used to add or modify your check (step 3) do not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mostman79 wrote:
I think it's simplified as - cards or powers used to set/change your skill for the check (step 1) add their traits. Cards and powers used to add or modify your check (step 3) do not.

Yes, this is my understanding of the current FAQ and Mike's comments. I'll publish v0.3 of the doc tonight with this fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just uploaded v0.6 of the Turn Sequence docs. Should go live soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just uploaded v0.7a of the Turn Sequence docs. Should go live soon!

Note - if you see a v0.7 please ignore it. There's a mistake in it, which was corrected in 0.7a

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A note on the v0.7a edits:

- page 4, removed the note that evaded cards have 'not been encountered' since it was potentially causing confusion (e.g. if you have to 'summon and encounter' a card can you evade it? The answer is yes, so I removed this redundant piece of text). It was only there to re-iterate that you don't have to do the 'before the encounter' and 'after the encounter' steps. Thanks to @mmoroz for the suggestion.

- page 9, the definition of combat damage has changed. It is now any damage caused by failing a check against a monster (rather than just failing a combat check). So the docs have been updated to reflect this.

- page 11, added a link to Vic's spoiler thread about the upcoming rule rewrite/clarifications

- some minor edits for readability on pages 2 and 5

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.