The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Khazad-dûm» Forums » General

Subject: Really hyped and now disappointed. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
boogiepop
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
No books are dearer to me than Tolkien's trilogy, so I was thrilled when they released the core set for this game. It was just a grand slam for me; Killer artwork, interesting co-operative mechanics, three exciting quests... what more could you ask for? I thought I'd complement the core set with Khazad-dum and was quite hyped for what has now become bitter disappointment. (Note that I've only attempted the first quest.)

Everyone seems to really enjoy the first quest. Well, I officially despise it. There are too many devastating shadow cards, for one. I started once only to have a hero die blocking a puny swordsman. His base attack of 3 was boosted to 6 (really? +3? Come on...) which was just enough to take him down. The next try I get a flood of treacheries with surge and locations. (2nd turn Gandalf questing alongside Eowyn? Sorry, not enough.) Next I'm suddenly up to my armpits in a sea of goblins that seemingly came out of nowhere... Honestly I think I've just about had it.

I bought this on the supposed strength of the quests (not into tribal decks so dwarves don't do anything for me) and so far, I feel like trading the set off. I'm that annoyed with it. Note: I do enjoy some challenge. I lost Journey Down the Anduin about a dozen times solo before beating it... and enjoyed every minute. (I've been attempting Into the Pit double-fisted.) There were a variety of creatures, the shadow effects were reasonable, and the different stages for the quest were just so darn interesting. I also liked that I felt I had choices to make, or there was at least a puzzle to solve. Here, I feel like the choice is fairly obvious each time. :/

Does anyone else feel the same? Obviously, I'm basing this on the first quest. (The second I'll try tonight. I'm not even attempting the first anymore; It's dead to me.)

Sorry if I sound overly crotchety. I purchased and opened two bottles of apparently poorly stored (and now quite bad) wine in addition to getting annoyed at this game. Not exactly the enjoyable evening I had planned. Gah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You might want to reconsider your strategy/approach for some of the Khazad-dum quests. Certain cards can really be helpful against the swarms of weak enemies or devastating shadow effects such as Gondorian Spearmen and Burning Brand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If, like me, you are mainly interested in playing thematically, consider the "Easy Mode Rules" that Fantasy Flight as produced. It removes some of the most difficult cards and each hero begins the game with one extra resource token.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/lotr-lcg/suppo...

I really appreciate that FFG is taking all player types into account through the Nightmare Packs and Easy Mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
As I understood from you post: I don’t know how to build a deck. Just practice in deck building and everything will be fine in right time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boogiepop
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

@Mark Judd - I was definitely hoping the Spearmen (all three in there), in conjunction with Thalin (whom I'm also using) would take them down. Alas, my friends never made an appearance when needed. As for Burning Brand, I don't own it. I only have this and the core set. Thanks for the recommendations, though.

Ryan Baker - That looks cool. I think I'll give it a shot (right now.) I'd rather have a couple decks made and ready than have to build something new to beat each quest, so that may be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boogiepop
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Glaurung2 wrote:
As I understood from you post: I don’t know how to build a deck. Just practice in deck building and everything will be fine in right time.

Not helpful, but good try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schock
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boogiepop wrote:
Glaurung2 wrote:

To put it in a more tactful way, you need to build the deck to fit the scenario. I like to play through a scenario sight unseen. Regardless if I win or lose, I gain knowledge of the cards in the scenario and can adjust my deck to try to mitigate the particular risks in that scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stampley
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your frustration and I actually think the first quest is harder than a "1" due to the shadow and when revealed effects uless you build a deck to deal with those

I actually stopped playing for several months after continously losing to Journey along the Anduin and Escape From Dol Gulder. Then I tried out the first couple of adventure packs in the first cycle and realized you can't judge the difficulty of the game by those 2 quests.

I can only recommend continuing to learn the cards and best combinations to deal with enemies, treacheries, and threat management. Now that I have a much larger card pool I really enjoy the game much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stampdog316 wrote:
I understand your frustration and I actually think the first quest is harder than a "1" due to the shadow and when revealed effects uless you build a deck to deal with those.

Are you talking about Passage Through Mirkwood? Because first quest from KD, Into the Pit, is DL5. But if one has trouble with PTW, then KD should obviously be even more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boogiepop
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yeah, I get that impression. I was hoping to get away with a couple of Swiss army knife decks like in the core set because I don't want to spend much time deckbuilding (for this particular game. I like competitive deckbuilding.)

Also, I tried the easy mode last night, trounced the thing and... I still don't like it. I think I've just got to move on to the other quests and hope to find them more enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stampley
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
stampdog316 wrote:
I understand your frustration and I actually think the first quest is harder than a "1" due to the shadow and when revealed effects uless you build a deck to deal with those.

Are you talking about Passage Through Mirkwood? Because first quest from KD, Into the Pit, is DL5. But if one has trouble with PTW, then KD should obviously be even more difficult.

I was referring to Passage Through Mirkwood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mongol wrote:
boogiepop wrote:
Glaurung2 wrote:

To put it in a more tactful way, you need to build the deck to fit the scenario. I like to play through a scenario sight unseen. Regardless if I win or lose, I gain knowledge of the cards in the scenario and can adjust my deck to try to mitigate the particular risks in that scenario.

I actually disagree, having used the same two decks to play through KD and the dwarrowdelf cycle without having to rebuild them at all between adventures. I did the same for the Mirkwood cycle and am doing that now for the six Hobbit quests. (all at "standard" difficulty) In my experience if you build well rounded decks you don't necessarily have to deck build on a per scenario basis.

To the OP: Yeah, I actually wasn't super impressed by the scenarios in Khazad Dum, they are pretty straightforward and arguably somewhat repetitive. There are some very good quests / packs in the Dwarrowdelf cycle though (Foundations of Stone and The Watcher in the Water) that have both very fun quests and have player cards that lend to decks that don't have anything to do with dwarves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Skull
msg tools
Just with decks from the core set and Khazaddum... I'm almost at a loss as to what you could build that works well apart from just the usual suspects from core. Having done the Hobbit boxes before opening Khazaddum, the cards in Khazaddum seemed so pathetic. So many good options are in the cycle packs.

That said, I bet dollars to donuts that you COULD get a deck rolling with just Core and Khazaddum that could burn through the six scenarios in those boxes with an acceptable win/loss ratio. If not solo then two-handed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Convince a friend to play with you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
well, I played most of the weekend

But I am in the midst of the Hunt for Gollum before KhazadDum.

I did look at the KazadDum cards, most of them, to get an idea for what's in store. Looks interesting but also looks like I might have to make some big changes to my deck. Including, maybe, a new Hero.

Like some others, I have been using two spheres, and building that as I open each adventure pack in the hunt for gollum and add cards that I think might work, and remove cards that don't seem to be used often as I progress, 50-55 cards.

Anyway, it's been an amazing run this weekend. Got through the Core Adventures, finally!! and barely!

Going through the Gollum Adventure packs was almost a cake walk, got through 3 packs in short order. And there are cards in these packs that are indeed useful.

You just might have to change your strategy big time now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boogiepop wrote:
Everyone seems to really enjoy the first quest. Well, I officially despise it. There are too many devastating shadow cards, for one. I started once only to have a hero die blocking a puny swordsman. His base attack of 3 was boosted to 6 (really? +3? Come on...) which was just enough to take him down. The next try I get a flood of treacheries with surge and locations. (2nd turn Gandalf questing alongside Eowyn? Sorry, not enough.) Next I'm suddenly up to my armpits in a sea of goblins that seemingly came out of nowhere... Honestly I think I've just about had it.

Reading this sounds just like a scene out of a movie (or the books).

Lots of theme here, and it is a dark, scary place. Moria is exactly the place where you can suddenly be overwhelmed by goblins out of nowhere, and Gandalf is no help.

Sometimes you can still experience a great "story" and still lose with this game. (YMMV)

Maybe all my years of playing Dwarf Fortress have conditioned me to enjoy losing in dwarven mines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A "puny swordsman" has an attack of three? You realize that this is the same attack value as Legolas or Aragorn. Far from puny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boogiepop
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
dcorban wrote:
A "puny swordsman" has an attack of three? You realize that this is the same attack value as Legolas or Aragorn. Far from puny.

That was an intelligent and well thought out response. I stand in awe of your amazing intellect.

Yes, orcs and goblins are not all that strong unless they appear in great numbers (both thematically and in terms of this game.) The 3 attack is nothing to be concerned about. Double that to six, though... now that's an attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boogiepop wrote:
dcorban wrote:

That was an intelligent and well thought out response. I stand in awe of your amazing intellect.

Yes, orcs and goblins are not all that strong unless they appear in great numbers (both thematically and in terms of this game.) The 3 attack is nothing to be concerned about. Double that to six, though... now that's an attack.

There are lots of Orc/Goblin enemies that are plenty tough (Chieftain Ufthak, Dol Guldur Beastmaster, Dungeon Jailor, etc.). And I agree with Daniel. An enemy with an attack of 3 is not "puny", regardless of your preconceived notions about orcs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boogiepop
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sigh... First, how can something be preconceived when the books are there as reference? whistle Second, I'd rather talk about the quests than debate the use of the word puny. Third, that was the second puerile comment your friend made. He earned some sarcasm.

In any case, I played the second quest, defeated it easily, and yawned the whole time. I'll pick up some of the Mirkwood stuff then try the third quest, but my guess is I'll be gifting this to someone eventually. I'm glad some of you enjoy it, but I can't fathom this being the must-buy it's often claimed to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.