Subject: Elder Sign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, I wanted to get others opinions on the game as far as theme. Playing with kids around the age of 9,if the theme is to scary. Also for someone who goes to church is the theme to dark or just a typical beat the monster with your heroes type. Wanted to ask before I suggested playing with other people. Thank you for any responses.

As far as game play it looks real fun and seems to the right amount of time to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme is suspenseful in nature (really it's 100% in the adventure card flavor text) but it's not as rich as Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness, or Eldritch Horror. Also, it's hard to be legitimately scared by a board game (even if you're 9).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah probably not what I would consider scary unless the 9 year old is staring at the monster images intently for a while. It's a quicker paced game with a lot of dice flying around the table so everyone is generally focused on that. The same goes for church people. I'm a churchy guy and I've never had any problem with any game I've ever played. I guess it depends on the person. Ask them if they're okay with the theme before you even bring it to the table.

The theme comes from H.P. Lovecraft's mythos. If you aren't familiar with his stuff you may want to look him up. Interesting dude with some really interesting stories.

Also, there's an app for this game if you want to try it out there first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William W
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FWIW, I really enjoy the app.. great game, and all the item management is taken care of for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sonerich wrote:
Hello, I wanted to get others opinions on the game as far as theme. Playing with kids around the age of 9,if the theme is to scary. Also for someone who goes to church is the theme to dark or just a typical beat the monster with your heroes type. Wanted to ask before I suggested playing with other people. Thank you for any responses.

As far as game play it looks real fun and seems to the right amount of time to play.

I'm a Christian & a pastor. My gaming group is nearly 100% church members. While there are some games out there that I/we wouldn't be comfortable with, we've never had an issue with Arkham Horror/Elder Sign. I mention them together because they share the same theme & same artwork.

Everyone has their own convictions & tolerance levels about thematic material in games. It does have a few images that I'd think would be a bit too scary for young kids, but I let my sons play it at age 8 with no problems. Also, there is some spell-casting, worship of god-beings from the source material, & somewhat darker themes in general represented. I'd suggest that you take some time & look over all of the images available here on the geek & then make your decision. I did the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all for the information. My daughter like superheroes and plays DC deck building and loves that. Wasn't sure if she'd play this game. I am religious as well (need to get back to church more often then I have recently)so the questions is for me as well as the others I was asking about. Wasn't sure if the elder sign star was an evil sign but yeah I should read more on Love Craft to understand I guess.Thank you all again, it sounds as though it's u to each of us if we feel ok with playing. Like some folks will watch a movie with shooting et and it may bother some folks and not others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this once with my kids (ages 10 and 7). Interestingly, they enjoyed the dice-rolling, mistery-solving aspect of the game a lot. But they didn't like the flavour text (a bit too scary) and didn't look much at the pictures. So I dare say, when playing with kids, focus on the mechanics and the videogame-like "solved a level - go to the next screen" approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the child. I have two and one would have loved everything about his game as a younger player while the other would still get the willies today as a young adult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.