flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
THE PROVERBS OF SMALL WORLD
Section I: In the Beginning
1. Go to now, in a Small World there can be no friendly expedition for a Dwarf, an Elf, a Wizard, and a Barbarian to undertake together--no, not even a Heroic Quest shall they undertake.
2. Behold everything that is passed by groweth in value in its season. Consider the Homunculus: does he not multiply himself even as the gold increaseth? Seek the wisdom to know the times of all things: both when to pass and when to take, when to stretch forth thy hand across the land and when to retire, for after these things do all men seek to know.
3. It is a foolish thing to pay 5 coins to become Wealthy.
4. If thou canst obtain the Spirit for thy 1st turn, do so, with all thy might.
5. Behold! Two forces are better than one alone, for they shall make unto thee much wealth and spoil, yea and they shall strike fear into the hearts of all thine enemies who would lust after thy lands and do thee ill.
6. Thou shalt not seek to vanquish all thy foes, for see--it is more comely to outscore them!
7. He that is seen to be greatest among you shall be utterly pulled down. Therefore, seek not to appear great.
8. Give heed unto thine own strengths for they shall make a way for thee.
9. Oft times thou must needs abandon thy lands to keep thy life.

Section II: Peoples & Powers
10. Thou shalt rid the land of Ghouls before they overtake thee, for, lo, even in death they are great and terrible adversaries.
11. Thou shalt not come out of thine Encampment on an even-numbered turn lest the Were-creatures overcome thee.
12. Can one seek to conquer the Seas when he was not created for this purpose? Certainly not. Only the one who has been called "the Seafarer" may ride upon the deep and command it to obey him.
13. Find the Halfling! And filch from the Leprechaun! For though they be a small people in stature, even so the smallest person can change the course of the future, and a Leprechaun would filch from himself to carry the day.
14. He that is Cursed among you, let him collect gold & silver for many days, and verily many shall rush to seek him out before long.
15. It is a fearful thing to stand in the path of a Dragon. Do not let him spy out thy domains by mounting thy strength upon high, for surely he will utterly lay waste to thy fastnesses and thy thatched roof cottages.
16. A Troll is not easily parted from his lair, even so with Ransacking thou canst part him from his hoard.
17. If thou shalt construct unto thee a Barricade, go not out of it, no not even to obtain 5 pieces of land.
18. Behold a Giant's strength is in his high Mountain. Woe unto thee, when he descends unto thy Hills roundabout!
19. He that dwelleth in the caverns of the Underworld can cause terror throughout the land, yea, likewise he that mounteth upon the wings of the air and Flieth. Yet having stirred up strife in every corner, even so they shall find themselves beset on every side, withersoever they dwell.
20. Thou shalt not leave thy ass uncovered, next to a Sorcerer.
21. He that is Corrupt may shew his strength against his enemies, and (like the Elves) fear little reprisal, for men fear to part with their coins. Verily I say, men would rather give their coins unto Mercenaries to wrest better defended lands from weaker foes.
22. Take heed, and carefully consider when thou strikest a Pygmy, for like a Hydra, in a moment he may return against thee with multiplied fierceness.
23. The Dwarves? They hide in their mountains seeking riches. They care nothing for the troubles of others. (Neither does anyone else care for them.)
24. Do not put thy trust in the Ivory Tower of a priestess, for though it be valuable above all things in the land, for this selfsame cause it shall be quickly brought down to dust.
25. Blessed are the Peace-Loving, for though in truth they love not peace in their hearts, yet still are they rewarded for casting down the old ones.

Section III: Thy Neighbors
26. If one cometh unto thee saying, "Take me to thy Leader," verily I say: do unto him no such service!
27. Orcs, Goblins, Ratmen, and all manner of unclean things may seek to feast upon thy flesh, but be not dismayed at their numbers. For if thou canst dissuade them but for a day or a night, even so in that time thy foolish neighbor may wax mightier than thou art and draw them after himself.
28. Look not upon thy neighbors only, for the one who goes out and comes in again shall surely bring destruction unto thee in thy prosperity, from a land which thou sawest not.
29. He that goeth ever into the rulebook and causeth strife among friends is not fit to sit at thy table.
30. Much can be learned from counsel, but beware of the one whose finger ever points to the greatness of others and not unto his own greatness, for such an one would seek to deceive thee.
31. Even as a Gypsy tendeth not her own land, but she prospereth, in like manner he that cometh in 2nd tendeth not to his enemies' scores, but prospereth withal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
bandit_boy7 wrote:

10. Thou shalt rid the land of Ghouls before they overtake thee, for, lo, even in death they are great and terrible adversaries.

I'd rather rid the land of the active race belonging to the ghoul player. Force them into decline, and then the ghouls are gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why wait? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bandit_boy7 wrote:
Why wait? cool

Isn't it obvious? She has two races she can spread out and attack with. If I target the ghouls to the point where they're inviable, then she can just go into decline and still have viable scoring regions from her previously active race. If I target the active race to the point where they're inviable, then if she goes into decline she has to wipe out her entire ghoul holdings as well. Seems clear to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was posting these as lighthearted strategic observations for a lighthearted game. Perhaps I should have prefaced it with that. I'm not really here to debate strategy, because I prefer to think it's somewhat a subjective affair.

Nevertheless, I attack Ghouls when they hit the board, if I can. I don't wait for them to go in decline. If they are my opponent's 1st race, then I attack them, because I know what's coming. Why wait for it to happen? If they are my opponent's 2nd race--all the more reason to push hard now. When the Ghouls flip the other race vanishes. I'm here to help them get off the board as quickly as possible.

I appreciate your input. You are welcome to play however you like, and I'm not trying to sway you. The fact that everybody plays this game their own way is part of what makes it so unpredictable and fun. It's nice to know that if I ever run into you on the Small World App, you will give my Ghouls an extra turn to spread or decline before you start attacking me.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't wait. I attack the active race belonging to the ghoul player. As soon as you bring them into play, the active race belonging to the ghoul player is... the ghouls.

I'm just saying that once you put the tattered remains of your ghouls into decline, I no longer am concerned with them and will push your new active race instead. So make sure you get yourself some bivouacking trolls or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
I won't wait...So make sure you get yourself some bivouacking trolls or something.

Right on! Now you're talkin'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading this one, I think a "Biblical" power is in order...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.