Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

tried the game the first time this evening. While taking turns during the campaign phase we are moving our heroes to new territories which results in some battles. Because we are new to the game and ir was the first round we are moving our heroes to empty terrain spaces. So far...

The rules explain contested terains:

A contest territory is any territory, which you are attempting to enter, that is controlled or occupied by an opponent, or would generate militia if you enter it.

The rules explain the battle:

Fighting Battles:
If the battleground is unoccupied, the defender consists of random militia. If the battleground is contested, the defender consists of some random militia, possibly a bodyguard, plus any creatures that your opponent whishes to play to defend his or her territory.

Generate Milita:
Whenever you attack a terrain or a town, you usually encounter some militia that will defend that territory. If a battleground is uncontrolled, or if it contested without a hero...

Calculating Attacker Power:
If your attack power is greater than the militia power, and:
If the battleground is uncontested, you win the battle.
If the battleground is contested, you have not won the battle yet.

Now back to our game. The territory we move to are what? Uncontested or contested? The territory is completely empty. No other hero, no other controll marker. And if it is contested than I have NOT won the battle after having more power than the militia drawn for this battle? Would that mean that an opposing player can play cards to defend the territory even if he does neither a hero nor a controll marker in the territory. Doesn't make sense to me.

So can someone please explain me how it really works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
Hi all,

tried the game the first time this evening. While taking turns during the campaign phase we are moving our heroes to new territories which results in some battles. Because we are new to the game and ir was the first round we are moving our heroes to empty terrain spaces. So far...

A contest territory is any territory, which you are attempting to enter, that is controlled or occupied by an opponent, or would generate militia if you enter it.

Fighting Battles:
If the battleground is unoccupied, the defender consists of random militia. If the battleground is contested, the defender consists of some random militia, possibly a bodyguard, plus any creatures that your opponent whishes to play to defend his or her territory.

Generate Milita:
Whenever you attack a terrain or a town, you usually encounter some militia that will defend that territory. If a battleground is uncontrolled, or if it contested without a hero...

Now back to our game. The territory we move to are what? Uncontested or contested? The territory is completely empty. No other hero, no other controll marker. And if it is contested than I have NOT won the battle after having more power than the militia drawn for this battle? Would that mean that an opposing player can play cards to defend the territory even if he does neither a hero nor a controll marker in the territory. Doesn't make sense to me.

Occupied= opponent's hero
Controlled=opponent's cube without a hero
Uncontrolled=unoccupied=Uncontested= no cube

In your example, you only draw militia cards to battle against, since it is uncontested. If you beat the militia, you won an the battle ends. Move in and place a cube. The opposing player can only defend territories that have his cubes or heroes.

Exception = enchanted lands can be occupied by a hero, but never controlled which means that no cubes can be placed on them ever.

On a different note, is the game out in Germany already? It still says that is a preorder online.

How did you like it? Any comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:
d0gb0t wrote:
Hi all,

Fighting Battles:

Generate Milita:

Occupied= hero
Contested= opponent's cube, no hero
Uncontested= no cube

On a different note, is the game out in Germany already? It still says that is a preorder online.

How did you like it? Any comments?

Thanks for the answer, Juan.

So the explanation of contested is wrong in the rulebook? Or don't I understand it right? It says

A contested territory is any territory, which you are attempting to enter, that is controlled or occupied by an opponent, or would generate militia if you enter it.

So what means 'or would generate militia if you enter it'?

But, regardless from correctly understanding this sentence, it seems that we played it correct. It doesn't make any sense to be the defender in a territory if neither a hero nor a control marker is in there.

For now I cannot say if I like it because we played only through the first round (our second daughter is ill and needs her mommy). And we were more trying to understand the rules than playing the game. But it is very interesting and reminds me a little bit of Mage Knight, so I want to play it again as soon as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So going over the rules, pretty much every territory that doesn't contain one of your cubes or that is an enchanted land is considered contested.

I think that segment of the rules that says that you haven't won yet after defeating militia applies for contested territories that are controlled by another player.

All the terminology can get very confusing, more than necessary in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
But it is very interesting and reminds me a little bit of Mage Knight, so I want to play it again as soon as possible.

When I first say it, it also reminded me of a streamlined version of Mage Knight.

I'm really looking forward to play it. Thanks for posting pics; keep them coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.