Subject: CARBON – A Custom Tile Version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

I have been following with interest, the various discussions on non-card versions of this fine game. So during a few spare hours one evening, I decided to attempt a custom version of my own.

My basic wish was to have a purely black and white set. My choice of components was a set of 50 black & white poker chips (hence Carbon). These chips are nicely weighted, have a dice pattern printed around the edge and a blank interior. With these chips, my set was 90% done.

I’m no artist, so the decorating needed to be very simple and quick. Without colour, I had to abandon the firework theme, and imagine 5 completely new suits. The chosen suits are Bone, Flower, Egg, Feather and Worm. I chose these suits because they are simple shapes and most importantly, they are all very distinct from each other. These shapes also happen to be products of nature, (hence Carbon again). So what might players be doing with Bone, Flower, Egg, Feather and Worm? Maybe we are delivering ingredients to a witches coven? Does this matter?

The white modelling paint was quickly applied with a brush. Once the paint had dried, I finished both sides of each tile with a spray coat of acrylic lacquer. You will see from the photos that I really am no artist, and I regret that the final results are not remotely as sharp as I’d hoped they’d be. Nevertheless, I am satisfied that the result, at least demonstrates the feasibility of what I set out to achieve. Also seen in the photo are the simple wooden racks, which haven’t yet been finished (painted black and lined with felt). The racks are obviously required to set the tiles vertically in front of the players.
(Finished Tiles and Unfinished Racks)

(Tiles: 1 Egg, 2 Worm, 3 Bone, 4 Feather, 5 Flower and tile rear)

With reference to the various discussions on Deluxe Hanabi, I would modestly offer the following positive remarks about my hurriedly conceived set:

The game works really well in practice. The tiles are nice and tactile. They are very easy to shuffle and stack. The markings are easily identifiable. The game can be played in subdued light. There are no colour blindness issues. There is no possibility of tiles falling over. There are no engravings vulnerable to (accidental) tile feeling. Tiles can be rotated in the rack, thus making use of the pattern on the rear face as a memory aid. Tiles spacing can be varied in the rack, also as a memory aid. The rack of tiles can be quickly moved if required, to assist the view of the active player. The set is very compact, both in play and in storage. Whilst it remains to be seen how durable this set proves to be, the early signs are promising.

I’d be pleased to hear any comments, particularly criticism or suggestions for improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For myself, I'd still like the different colored paint (makes things easier to distinguish). I know you did this on the fly, though, so it's unlikely you would have had neon yellow, neon green, neon red, and neon blue paint (in addition to the white).

It's a good retheme, though. From where did you plunder the racks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

I'll have just the one set for now, please, but will probably come back for more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
talusproteus wrote:
For myself, I'd still like the different colored paint (makes things easier to distinguish). I know you did this on the fly, though, so it's unlikely you would have had neon yellow, neon green, neon red, and neon blue paint (in addition to the white).

It's a good retheme, though. From where did you plunder the racks?

Thank you for your comments. You are correct that I did not have any colours to hand. However, I really wanted to avoid colour since I wanted the tiles to be as pure and simple as possible. Having said that, the use of monochrome means that we have no more difficulties distinguishing blue/green and white/yellow in lower light. Another big advantage of a zero colour set, is that it is much more fun clueing someone about their 3 bones than their 3 yellows.

The model for my home-made racks is the card stands for Hab & Gut. The grooves on my racks are slightly wider however, and they are lined with a strip of felt to stop the tiles moving about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The dice numbers on the sides of the chips are interesting. Are they in the same position on both sides of the chip? I mean, if I arrange the dice in the rack in such a way that the 1 is on top on my side, will it be on top when seen from the other side as well? If so, one can use that to give signals. Simple ones, like, a four on top means: "I know that this is a four" (but by inference, you may give clues to other players) and a six means "I don't know the value of this chip", but you can also use it to signal - for instance, a three on top meaning: "the player to my left can safely discard the third card in his hand".

I would have liked the chips better without the decorative edge. That draws attention away from the central piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Feral
United States
Los Angeles - Mar Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
One Eternal Round
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
. Another big advantage of a zero colour set, is that it is much more fun clueing someone about their 3 bones than their 3 yellows.

How is that more fun? It's exactly the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.