Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Buzzfeed talks about Fantasy Novels that are good despite their covers... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: books [+] [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/fantasy-novels-that-are-...

Just curious if anyone has read any of these... and if so... opinion.

(yes number 13 is The Hobbit. so, I read one, I suppose)

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
0-13 - and maybe proud of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lies of Locke Lamora--I thought this was pretty good.

The Great Hunt--I read four of these before I decided to just wait for the whole series to be done. I remember this one being really good, and moving along briskly.

The Dragonbone Chair--I read this series many years ago, and liked it immensely. I wonder what I would think now...

Gardens of the Moon--Read this one and immediately decided to wait for the series to be done. There are so many people, places, and plots going on that I would never be able to remember it all if I took a break of any kind. It doesn't help that he drops you into the middle of an already happening story.

The Black Company--Fantasy from the viewpoint of the soldier in the trenches. I thought they were pretty good.

The Name of the Wind--I haven't read this, but HOLY CRAP is this series hyped up. Can this possibly hold up to the praise heaped upon it? I'm afraid to read it and be disappointed because it's "merely" terrific and not as life-changing as every single person has said it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Name of the Wind and The Warded Man both get thumbs up from me, and The Black Prism is in my pile of books to read, so that makes me feel better about it. The rest I would definitely try.

If I judged a book by its cover art, I may have never read any Stephen King in the '80s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
mbmbmb
My eyes!

That Hobbit cover looks like someone used Little and Large as life models

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have read:

#4. Have read most of the series, except the last 2. Started off pretty good, but slowed down after about book 4. Series stretched out far too much - so much so the author passed away and someone else had to finish.

#7. Read it back in the early '80s, when there just wasn't a lot of fantasy available. In retrospect, not really very good.

#8. One of my most favorite series ever. Those I've liked more are: The Belgariad, and The Mallorean by David and Leigh Eddings; and the books set in the world of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.

#13. The Hobbit of course. I still consider it a very good book. Better than Lord of the Rings, but still good. I've just gotten tired of it since it's been around so long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nice, I have been looking for some new stuff to add to my amazon list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I've read four:

The Great Hunt - derivative crap - a group of farm-kids turn out to be the only ones able to save the entire world from ultimate evil. And it only got worse... I can't express just how much I loathe TWOT.

The Black Company - I gave up about half-way through this perhaps 6 months ago. Interesting concept behind it, but just too poorly written to continue with (70's American speech patterns may appeal to someone else, but not to me).

The Name Of The Wind - my copy has a different cover, but essentially this is the last book I bought before deciding fuck it, I'm downloading pirate e-books before spending $20+ on a lump of paper again. Nothing especially wrong, just didn't really tell a worthwhile story. Don't care if the rest of the series gets better.

The Hobbit - quite enjoyable, and I kept meaning to re-read it before the film came out. Now I keep meaning to re-read it before this December...

Always meant to get around to reading Tad Williams, but never did. Someone remind me - is his stuff about a small special group who attempt to save the world from an evil overlord?

Got to say I've never really given a damn about covers when deciding whether or not to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:

The Great Hunt--I read four of these before I decided to just wait for the whole series to be done. I remember this one being really good, and moving along briskly.

The Dragonbone Chair--I read this series many years ago, and liked it immensely. I wonder what I would think now...

Gardens of the Moon--Read this one and immediately decided to wait for the series to be done. There are so many people, places, and plots going on that I would never be able to remember it all if I took a break of any kind. It doesn't help that he drops you into the middle of an already happening story.

The Black Company--Fantasy from the viewpoint of the soldier in the trenches. I thought they were pretty good.

The Name of the Wind--I haven't read this, but HOLY CRAP is this series hyped up. Can this possibly hold up to the praise heaped upon it? I'm afraid to read it and be disappointed because it's "merely" terrific and not as life-changing as every single person has said it is.

I didn't make it through the series. I just don't have the patience anymore for that much development. there were SO many things going on and I wasn't tracking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lies of Locke Lamora is a great one-off about a Thieve's Guild that doesn't seem to get much mention. I'm absolutely LOVING the Warded Man series, awaiting the next book. Black Company 1-3 were pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the Hobbit out of that list. I liked it ok. Bilbo Baggins is a good character so I muddled through the narrative for his sake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Name of the Wind is actually pretty decent. But the next one, whatever it was called (I would LOVE to throw in a joke about the story here, but it might give something away, and I know some people are sensitive about such things) was a slog. I couldn't wait for it to end. Trying to decide if I care enough to read the next one.

*edit* I hadn't read the blurb about it on that linked page when I typed that above. Yeah, don't buy the hype. Nothing can live up to that kind of hype, and I hadn't heard the hype before I read it; somebody recommended it, so I read it. I actually can't really argue with the wording, as I haven't actually read all of the high fantasy written in the last 20 years, but if this is the best, there's been a lot of boring, adolescent-male-fantasy service shit written in the last 20 years and not much else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja As someone who always played thieves and assassins in my RPG days, I snatched up the first Brent Weeks trilogy (that precedes Black Prism). Was a bit let down actually, since he didn't seem to capture the essence of "assassin", and his protagonist seems a lot more like a fighter-mage to me and way too epic for a shadowy type in any case. It's decent, not remarkable.

OTOH, I absolutely loved Lynch's Locke Lamora. Certainly among the best fantasies I've read in the last few years, and can't wait for him to write more! Now that's what a thief type should act like! Big props for this one.

Glen Cook's Black Company books are loads of fun and chock full of epic battles told in great tactical detail. Recommended.

A buddy of mine raved to me about The Name of the Wind, so I read it. Starts off well and promptly goes a whole lot of nowhere. It seemed too "Young Adult" for my tastes. Meh.

If you're seeking recommendations, I'd suggest Joe Abercrombie's books. Gritty and realistic, loads of memorable characters in a great, culturally rich setting. Magic definitely takes a back seat to blades here. What's really nifty is that some of the bit players from the trilogy reappear as main protagonists in his standalone novels! Really excellent stuff. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the Great Hunt and Mistborn.

If you haven't read the Mistborn books yet, get to it. Best reads I've come across in years.

I was going to read the Hobbit after the LOTR books, but after forcing myself to finish them I decided that Tolkien just wasn't for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/fantasy-novels-that-are-...

Just curious if anyone has read any of these... and if so... opinion.

(yes number 13 is The Hobbit. so, I read one, I suppose)

-DK

Only The Hobbit. Everyone knows it's an amazingly good book. Do I really have to go into why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved The Lies of Locke Lemora. The world is so big it takes a long time to get into the book, but it's well worth it. Also has some hilarious conversations between characters. The author has a talent for word play.

jonnylawless wrote:
If you haven't read the Mistborn books yet, get to it. Best reads I've come across in years.

I'm about halfway through the last book. The author has a tendency to repeat himself, but otherwise, they're great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
riddlen wrote:

I didn't make it through the series. I just don't have the patience anymore for that much development. there were SO many things going on and I wasn't tracking

I had much the same problem - I actually own all the books, but I haven't gone back since the final book was released - I'd often get the latest book new, then be like, oh crap, I barely remember the first few, guess I gotta re-read. I've read the first couple books something like 5 or 6 times I bet. I should just move on with it, I only have 3 left to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read six out of the thirteen here, although I'm pretty sure most of them in different editions from this shown. Except for The Great Hunt, which was hiding behind that cover, and I should have been warned off.

I'm another fanboy for Locke Lamora, though. Brilliant series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kunnagh wrote:
I've read six out of the thirteen here, although I'm pretty sure most of them in different editions from this shown. Except for The Great Hunt, which was hiding behind that cover, and I should have been warned off.

I'm another fanboy for Locke Lamora, though. Brilliant series.

ya, I don't start series until they are done so I have been sitting on book 1 for years. dude sure is taking his sweet time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
If someone is judging a book by its cover, that's their own damn fault.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Holy crap. If I'd seen that new cover for The Name of Wind I'd have never bothered reading it. Someone fire that marketing department.

It's a solid book - wonderful storytelling, sympathetic characters, sort of metafictional, is aware of its own tropes and does a good job either embracing them or side-stepping them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG!!

I just requested the following from my library's inter-library-loan:

The Black Prism
The Lies of Locke Lamora
Mistborn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

Hmm, my kindle doesn't have a cover, but lots of books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

The aphorism that one should not judge a book by its cover comes from the days when most books had a simple leather cover and it wasn't possible to make any judgement on the volume until you started reading it. It was only when books got individualised covers that styles and cliches emerged, which meant of course that you can judge a book by its cover. So today, not judging a book by its cover is the mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

The aphorism that one should not judge a book by its cover comes from the days when most books had a simple leather cover and it wasn't possible to make any judgement on the volume until you started reading it. It was only when books got individualised covers that styles and cliches emerged, which meant of course that you can judge a book by its cover. So today, not judging a book by its cover is the mistake.

Ding, ding.

My judgement is if a publisher doesn't, can't or won't put some muscle into the cover to help sell the book....then they must not have much faith in it....that or it is schlock pulp nonsense like Mack Bolan

That being said I'm glad I got past the awful looking Black Company cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.