Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: The unofficial Dragonball Z expansion (hint hint) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found some time that would otherwise have been wasted to write down some thoughts that were tumbling around in my head.

I present to you: a Dragonball Z mini-expansion! cool

If most of you are like 'mjeh...' please say so. I don't want to waste time at something that will never see any feedback. If you are as psyched as I am about the possibilities, go ahead and let me know.

The things that came to mind:

Masterminds
King Piccolo,Frieza, Cell, Babidi, Kid Buu
Henchmen
Saibamen, Red Ribbon Army, Alien Soldiers
Villains
Saiyans, Frieza's forces, Ginyu Force, Androids, Babidi's Guard
Schemes
Collect the dragonballs, Crush Earths defences, Cell games, Revive Majin Buu
Heroes
Goku, Krillin, Vegeta, Piccolo, Mr. Satan, Bulma, Gohan, Trunks, Tien, Chaozu, Yamcha, King Kai, ...

What I have so far:

Masterminds

Frieza

Henchmen
Saibamen - 3\\\ - 1vp
Reveal a (ranged) Hero or KO one of your Heroes with a \\\ icon.

Red Ribbon Army - 4\\\ - 1vp
Bribe, When you draw a new hand of cards at the end of this turn, draw an extra card.

Villains
Saiyans (All about messing with the HQ and recruiting options)

Radditz - 4\\\
Ambush: Put the lowest-cost Hero from the HQ under this Villain.
This Villain needs to be fought with 2 different Heroes.
Fight: Gain that Hero.

Nappa - 5\\\
Ambush: KO 3 bystanders
Each time Nappa goes to a new city location, KO the lowest cost Hero from the HQ.

Vegeta - 6\\\
Ambush: KO the highest cost Hero in the HQ.
The HQ does not refill as long as Vegeta is in the city

Brolli - 8\\\
(nothing yet)

Ginyu Force

2x

2x

2x

1x

1x

Frieza's Forces

Dodoria - 5\\\
Ambush: Each player reveals a (covert) Hero or gains a wound.
Escape: Same effect.

Zarbon -

Cui -

Heroes

Goku (Z and S affiliation)
Super Speed: This card can be played before playing the card from the villain deck at the start of your round.

Krillin (Z)

Mr. Satan

Vegeta (S)

Piccolo (Z)

Bulma (DB)

Starters (Z,DB)
These are some altenatives to the standard SHIELD agents, I've made more than the required 8 agents... so take your pick!

Whether any cards are made and new content will be thrown together will strongly depend on your replies. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Pilaf Mastermind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Thomas,

A Dragonball Z expansion would definitely be awesome.

Just a random thought: would it be possible to create a new keyword, such as 'saiyan' which means you can KO one of your Saiyan cards to recruit a Saiyan hero for less (the cost of the recruited hero would be its original cost minus the cost of the hero you KO).

This to thematically incorporate the idea of going supersaiyan.

As for Kid Buu I would suggest he would get stronger everytime he gets defeated.

I will let my mind wonder a little for other ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
As a big DBZ fan myself I like the idea! Lots of possibilities for cards.

Though I wonder if the Legendary rules can represent the theme of power levels and going Super Saiyan without making it a marvel clone with different artwork...

But again, I like the idea and your effort! Maybe start smaller with less cards (like the Frieza saga) and flesh it out first?

Maybe like:

Masterminds
* Frieza
* Cooler

Henchman
* Saibamen
* The Frieza Soldiers (unnamed soldiers)

Villains
* Saiyan Army (Vegeta, Nappa, Raditz, Bardock)
* Ginyu Force (Captain Ginyu, Jeice, Burter, Recoome, Guldo)
* Frieza's Elite (Zarbon, Dodoria, Cui)
* Cooler's Armored Squadron (Salza, Neiz, Dore)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashly wrote:

Just a random thought: would it be possible to create a new keyword, such as 'saiyan' which means you can KO one of your Saiyan cards to recruit a Saiyan hero for less (the cost of the recruited hero would be its original cost minus the cost of the hero you KO).

This random thought had me thinking for a while and I decided to incorporate it in a specific way.

EDIT:Each Some DBZ Heroes I'll be making will have 15 cards instead of 14!
The extra card is a Super card (or second rare).
The super card can be recruited only by KO'ing a card of the same Hero and by paying for the remaining difference in recruitment cost. I slightly altered the looking of the cost token to make it obvious which one is the Super card.

First Hero finished: Goku. You can find all his cards in the original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Asher
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Man U have to keep going I love this. I can't what to see some piccolo cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
derare wrote:
Flashly wrote:

This random thought had me thinking for a while and I decided to incorporate it in a specific way.

Each DBZ Hero I'll be making will have 15 cards instead of 14!
The extra card is a Super card (or second rare).
The super card can be recruited only by KO'ing a card of the same Hero and by paying for the remaining difference in recruitment cost. I slightly altered the looking of the cost token to make it obvious which one is the Super card.

Awesome first cards Thomas! And nice to see my random thoughts have given you some inspiration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rimgar
msg tools
mb
Hmm. You know, in order to keep the theme of 4 villains to a group, You might want to shift Captain Ginyu to the Frieza's Elite with Dodoria and Zarbon, and then have the other 4 be a separate group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for all of you who have been waiting for these, I've been busy and on top of that I got distracted by Mass Effect 3 that I picked up recently.

jynx KB wrote:
Hmm. You know, in order to keep the theme of 4 villains to a group, You might want to shift Captain Ginyu to the Frieza's Elite with Dodoria and Zarbon, and then have the other 4 be a separate group.

I was never a big fan of those 4-villain sets. I prefer the ones where some villains only appear once, making them rare and most of the time more tough to fight.

I'll probably be shaking my current sets up a little. More on that later.

For now, here are 2 more heroes: Krillin and Mr. Satan.
For the moment you will see some of the cards could use some extra filling with flavor text. Please put any suggestions or cool quotes here and I will add them.

I selected artwork for a Piccolo set and a Bulma set (finding suitable images for her was a rough considering how popular she is apparently...)
Any suggestions for cool rules for these cards are always welcome.

Here are some previews of the new Heroes, the full sets are in the OP:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frieza added, Frieza's Forces coming soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
How does Super Speed work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once made the suggestion for this card effect somewhere on the forums. Goku seemed like the ideal candidate to have it...
Also added the extra rule next to Goku for other new users.

Super Speed: This card can be played before playing the card from the villain deck at the start of your round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcclain
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing about dragonball z but I do love the idea and implementation of the second rare card...genius idea adding some variation there but what happens if the 2nd rare comes out first? would you still be able to buy it for the 10 cost and if so how does that affect the first rare coming out later? I would assume house rule to instant KO the lower cost rare..

again awesome idea now go make one 2nd rare for each other marvel character in all the sets including customs I expect them by the end of the week thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it, the two rare cards do not exclude each other. Running a deck with both could be awesome indeed. Sacking the rare for an even better one could be a cheap option, but you'll lose a rare... The choice is up to the player.

Hmmm, 2nd rares for the Marvel characters...
Sir, you've got me thinking! Maybe more on this later. Your idea on deadlines is suicidal though (at least if you expect quality work... whistle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Noble
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
My girlfriend and I love this idea. These look awesome like all of your variants, and I'm looking forward get getting them printed so I can try them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished Vegeta. I must say I think these ones are the best looking cards I've made up to this point. Can't wait to use them!

Teaser (see the rest in the OP):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
derare wrote:
Just finished Vegeta. I must say I think these ones are the best looking cards I've made up to this point. Can't wait to use them!

Teaser (see the rest in the OP):

What is with putting your stamp on the bottom? I understand you desire to have your custom cards recognized and the fact you authored them. But, I think it ruins the cards. I dont want to be playing and see that at the bottom. Can you try making initials in a smaller print some where off to the side of the card. Not right in the middle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwick503 wrote:

What is with putting your stamp on the bottom? I understand you desire to have your custom cards recognized and the fact you authored them. But, I think it ruins the cards. I dont want to be playing and see that at the bottom. Can you try making initials in a smaller print some where off to the side of the card. Not right in the middle...

Yeah sorry about that, saw it at someone's cards and thought it had a nice touch. Now that I look at the cards again, it looks a bit too heavy on the eye. I'll be reuploading the images with a much finer font (very similar to the effect you can see on the official cards).

What about the cards themselves? You like 'em?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
derare wrote:
bwick503 wrote:

Yeah sorry about that, saw it at someone's cards and thought it had a nice touch. Now that I look at the cards again, it looks a bit too heavy on the eye. I'll be reuploading the images with a much finer font (very similar to the effect you can see on the official cards).

What about the cards themselves? You like 'em?

Thanks for correcting the font and size. Much better. You can still read and see that they are your cards. When I show my friends they will be like, where did you get those. Ill lie and say it was me, and they will look close and see Derare and be like no way man, these are not your work. Derare is the man! That guy is boss!

Love the cards. So far so good. I didnt grow up watching Dragon Ball Z, only some when I went over to a friends house. But I love the ideas you have added, super speed, and a second rare card. Especially the second rare card. It totally fits with the DBZ theme. I wonder what Marvel heroes should have a second rare? I think only certain heroes should. Like Hulk, going crazy rage mode or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwick503 wrote:
Ill lie and say it was me, and they will look close and see Derare and be like no way man, these are not your work. Derare is the man! That guy is boss!

Heh, I totally LOL'd at that cool Tnx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
I know we are working on Mario and other Smash Bros cards, but this expansion needs to be finished too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwick503 wrote:
I know we are working on Mario and other Smash Bros cards, but this expansion needs to be finished too.

:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
I just downloaded and tried formatting the cards in Publisher. They are the wrong card size. I could not get them to be the right size...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hero cards were all made with the same templates. For my villain and MM cards, I used slightly larger card templates. You'll have to shrink them down a bit, but when I printed them out, I didn't get any image distortion.

I added a Super card for Krillin but just noticed that it's missing the symbol of the card color. How do you guys like it? I'll be updating it shortly.

You guys can already think about the Piccolo set. I had some ideas, but I don't feel very sure about all of it. Please try not to go for any dry copies of already published cards... I don't see the added value in those (color) +1 \\\ cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RandolfTheGr8 wrote:
Man U have to keep going I love this. I can't what to see some piccolo cards.

I finally got around to making some more of these. What I've got is a Piccolo set (finally ), a Bulma set and a whole range of replacements for the starter cards. You'll have to see which ones to use (or ask for more if I overlooked a cool character) since there are more than 8 starting recruitment cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.