Subject: objectives, ports, IJN rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
So per 2.1.1, ports are objectives. So even little places with an anchor like Towshan count as objectives?

Speaking of ports, I thought per 24.5 IJN units could only be in naval bases, but one is assigned to Sameh on Hainan, which is only a port. So - is that an illegal reinforcement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard To
Hong Kong
Wanchai
n/a
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So per 2.1.1, ports are objectives. So even little places with an anchor like Towshan count as objectives?

>>>Yes

Speaking of ports, I thought per 24.5 IJN units could only be in naval bases, but one is assigned to Sameh on Hainan, which is only a port. So - is that an illegal reinforcement?

By the time it arrives, Samah has been improved to naval base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonard wrote:

>>>Yes

Interesting. I don't believe I saw any mention of that in the master OBE for the campaign game.

Also re Hainan, there is an IJN reinforcement and an army reinforcement. Both happened before I had bothered to have any Japanese unit land on Hainan (because it seems pretty unimportant militarily). So technically, still KMT controlled, does that mean that those two reinforcements wouldn't be placed on the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard To
Hong Kong
Wanchai
n/a
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe I saw any mention of that in the master OBE for the campaign game.

>>It is only mentioned in the scenario but not in the campaign game (don't want to dictate players where they build or not build anything in the campaign game). So in order to have that unit deployed you need to build the naval base there.

Also re Hainan, there is an IJN reinforcement and an army reinforcement. Both happened before I had bothered to have any Japanese unit land on Hainan (because it seems pretty unimportant militarily). So technically, still KMT controlled, does that mean that those two reinforcements wouldn't be placed on the map?

>>>No, they won't. If no entry hex is available to deploy reinforcement units, their arrival is delayed until the next Reinforcement Phase when an entry hex is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonard wrote:

>>>No, they won't. If no entry hex is available to deploy reinforcement units, their arrival is delayed until the next Reinforcement Phase when an entry hex is available.

Thanks. In my experience (my Japanese not doing well enough I guess) there are quite a few of those delayed entries!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Also re Hainan, there is an IJN reinforcement and an army reinforcement.

Which specific turns do all these reinforcements arrive ?
Seems odd to tie down reinforcements to capture of this strategic worthless island.

EDIT: not worthless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard To
Hong Kong
Wanchai
n/a
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Those reinforcements are mostly for defense of the island historically. So if you don't have the island you probably don't need it.

Japan took over the island as a operation base to invade SE Asia historically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, of course Hainan is interesting for airbases from which planes attack Malaya or the Philippines !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonard wrote:
Those reinforcements are mostly for defense of the island historically. So if you don't have the island you probably don't need it.

Where did they did come from ? Japan ? When were they created ?

The game should maybe encourage Japanese to invade the island for future operations in SE Asia. Victory points awarded ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rulx wrote:
Leonard wrote:

Where did they did come from ? Japan ? When were they created ?

The game should maybe encourage Japanese to invade the island for future operations in SE Asia. Victory points awarded ?

Well remembering Japan has to take an objective (which includes ports) every turn to gain their 6 VP, there is an incentive to leave Hainan's ports under Chinese control until a turn comes up where Japan thinks it can't gain any other objectives. Plop a guy from the Western Pacific holding box onto one of those ports, and bingo 6 VP. Save the other port for similar circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.