Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With OP 2 right around the corner I thought that it would be appropriate to test out some ideas for the upcoming event. My friend David agreed to come over and guinea pig for me while I tested out my new build and saw what the Orbital Weapon Platforms could do. I felt comfortable with fighting pretty much anything the Romulans, Klingons, or Dominion could throw at me but I had never fought another version of my Picard Shoots First build that I took to our FLGS OP1 event. I set David up with that build

Enterprise-D
Picard
Spock
Geordi
Sulu
Photon Torpedoes
Cheat Death

Reliant
Terrell

Miranda-class
Donatra

Against him I brought my Cloaked Picard build:

Valdore
Picard
Spock

Valdore-class
Terrell
Drex

Apnex
Donatra
Sulu

This was David's first time to play Attack Wing but he was a veteran of a number of X-Wing games. I gave him the differences between the two systems and then showed him a number of the tricks that I used in Picard Shoots First. I set up the planet in the center of the board and then placed the Orbital Weapon Platforms (minefield tokens from month 1) at the appropriate distance. I don't have debris tokens yet so we took two more objective tokens and put them side by side for debris fields in between the OWPs. It made for a very cluttered space-scape. My plan was to keep the Apnex closest in to the OWPs, keep it cloaked and utilizing Sulu for the action each turn. If the OWP could burn through 8-9 defense dice, more power to it.

Both of us set up on the extreme edge of the board (my left, his right). His Miranda's were in front of the Ent-D. I arranged my fleet with the Apnex planetward. The first turn had David barreling forward at 4 while my ships advanced one and then cloaked. The OWP didn't do any damage to David's Reliant. The next turn we both advance 1 and started trading shots. I got some small shield damage on the Reliant and the OWP was ineffective again. David shot at the Valdore-class without result. Six defense dice are really nice. Turn three had both fleets close to spitball range. This turn was...bloody. The Ent-D whiffed the attack roll against the Valdore. I one-shotted the Miranda with my Picard, rolling six hits and he only got one evade. I then took the Reliant down to a single hull point. The OWP shot and destroyed the Reliant leaving David with an undamaged Enterprise-D against an undamaged "Fedulan" fleet.

On the next turn David shot forward with his Enterprise, throwing up Sulu to try and ward against any OWP shots. My Apnex came about and the two Valdores moved forward, fading back into cloak. They came about and began a long stern chase to catch back up to the Enterprise. As they passed, the OWP got a stunning shot on Picard, three hits including two crits and I blew the defense roll (7 dice!). One crit was a console fire and the second was an extra damage. Picard's Valdore dropped from 6 hull to 2 in a single round. Ouch. David came dangerously close to flying off the edge of the table and only a timely reverse brought him away from the edge of known space. This also brought him within range of the two Valdores that stripped his shields in return for two points of damage against Terrell. My Valdores swung to port and the Apnex moved into range against two OWPs, shrugging off six hits with very good defensive rolls. As time expired (we were playing a 60 minute tournament round) I destroyed the Enterprise only to have Picard cheat death. The Apnex was about 2mm too far to use it's ability and kill Picard again as the buzzer sounded. It would have been a win, but a narrowly played one. The two Mirandas aren't exactly points rich targets in that build.

OWPs are NASTY. I'm not sure if it is a purely psychological function or if they are really that bad. The Apnex "shield" worked very well as the OWPs could never score on the elusive science vessel. I am curious if we will see many players confining their play to a 6 inch strip down one side of the board or another. Cloaking seemed to be a good defense against the OWPs but if you get hit it is going to hurt, a lot because there aren't any shields to soak that damage. That is what happened to the Valdore and it did make me rather more careful with the ship because I did not want to lose my heavy hitter. I don't even want to think about what a fight in the center of the board would look like with OWPs blasting at anything and everything. Someone may manage to be a renegade from the law of averages for awhile but eventually the law is going to catch up and then it is going to look like the end of Bonnie & Clyde.

One interesting tactic that I experimented with, though it didn't work quite right was sensor echoing the Apnex spaceward, placing one of David's ships closest to the OWP. It would require some lucky maneuvering but it might work for a single turn to spare ones ships and let the other guy take a hit.

Build Comments - I'm not sure Drex is worth the points here. If I get a single action, it is better spent getting back into cloak to hide from the OWPs. I think I may put the Elite Attack Die into the build instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report! How did you think the E-D with this land yacht like turning handle in that narrow space?

Mike Sisson wrote:
The Apnex "shield" worked very well as the OWPs could never score on the elusive science vessel. I am curious if we will see many players confining their play to a 6 inch strip down one side of the board or another. Cloaking seemed to be a good defense against the OWPs but if you get hit it is going to hurt, a lot because there aren't any shields to soak that damage.

If any one of those Apnex defense rolls had gone poorly it would have gone down in flames. Only 2 hull means you're betting every round that you have a good roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
Great report! How did you think the E-D with this land yacht like turning handle in that narrow space?

Mike Sisson wrote:
The Apnex "shield" worked very well as the OWPs could never score on the elusive science vessel. I am curious if we will see many players confining their play to a 6 inch strip down one side of the board or another. Cloaking seemed to be a good defense against the OWPs but if you get hit it is going to hurt, a lot because there aren't any shields to soak that damage.

If any one of those Apnex defense rolls had gone poorly it would have gone down in flames. Only 2 hull means you're betting every round that you have a good roll.

As long as the Ent-D is going straight, no big problem with the tight space. What happened was David misguessed the distance the turn before he did the left bank and any further forward movement was going to fly off the edge. So what he ended up doing was attempting a sort of 3-point turn as the time elapsed.

I know that the Apnex is running a risk depending on defense dice like that but 8 dice is about as good a setup as I can manage I think. Better 8-9 dice from the Apnex thank 6-7 from one of my shooters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.