Subject: Supply and flooding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Per sequence of play, flooding begins at the very beginning of the turn (when appropriate). Floods can have significant impacts on tracing supply lines since river routes adjacent to flooded hexes can't be used for supply, and roads & railroads in flooded hexes are trails (so not usable for supply).

BUT - per sequence of play, you only determine supply AFTER the operation segment. Which, if I'm reading this right, means the supply effects of flooding, by a strict reading of the rules, happen on the next turn, when the flooding might have already ended.

Is this the intent? Is the supply phase in the wrong place in the sequence of play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard To
Hong Kong
Wanchai
n/a
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flood lasts for the duration of the whole turn (except those caused by destruction of the Yellow River Dike). If there is flood at the beginning of the turn it is still ongoing during post-operation segment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonard wrote:
Flood lasts for the duration of the whole turn (except those caused by destruction of the Yellow River Dike). If there is flood at the beginning of the turn it is still ongoing during post-operation segment.

Understood. But flooding (the event) is at the beginning of the turn. Supply determination phase is AFTER the operational segment. Reading this in sequence of play order, the SUPPLY EFFECTS of flooding don't happen until AFTER units have moved, fought, etc in the operational segment.

Is that the intent? Because that's strange if so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
..LOL. Oh boy.
here we go.
Wendell is chief playtester it seems. did anyone play test here in the USA?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Leonard wrote:
We should move the supply phase to the end of the pre-operation segment.

Did this just not ever come up in play test?
OR are the current crop of players deeper into the game than was tested?
Curious about what else will be found that needs changing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard To
Hong Kong
Wanchai
n/a
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Already did. Edmond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be working with Leonard to get some corrected rules and charts out shortly.

Sorry about some of the issues that came up but Leonard has been terrific about taking care of questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Klarmann
Germany
Bad Schönborn
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it have been easier to say that in the event of flooding, the next turn has the flood effects instead of changing the whole sequence of play? Thus you would have only needed to change the flood timing a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Philipp Klarmann wrote:
Wouldn't it have been easier to say that in the event of flooding, the next turn has the flood effects instead of changing the whole sequence of play? Thus you would have only needed to change the flood timing a bit.

Genius. Because Lord knows how this will impact things.

I was really excited about this. I'm going to however, wait for the rules to settle down before I break out all those shiny clipped counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philipp Klarmann wrote:

"If it says "FLOOD" for turn 11, apply the effects to turn 12."

That seems counter-intuitive.

Edit: Also I don't think moving supply to BEFORE the ops phase will make much of a difference (except for fixing flood). Either way, supply is judged in the various steps and phases between the last operation on turn X and the first operation on turn X+1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philipp Klarmann wrote:

wifwendell wrote:
If it says "FLOOD" for turn 11, apply the effects to turn 12.
That seems counter-intuitive.

Will seem strange to have a flood occuring in Spring and effects on Summer...

-----------------
EDIT: Proposed errata removed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Crispi
United States
North Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sequence of play has been going back and forth it seems for years. I started a game a few weeks ago and checked all the errata and confirmed what was not clear with the designer.

The weather occurs first during the turn and then you check supply at the end so you have until then to get your units in supply. I don't see the issue.

We won't be starting over or anything but these rules were kind of a mess to start and confusing at many points but these were all clarified over the course of the last few years from what I read. I suggest leaving the sequence of play alone as we have not found any problems with it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only quote initial question/observation:

wifwendell wrote:
Per sequence of play, flooding begins at the very beginning of the turn (when appropriate). Floods can have significant impacts on tracing supply lines since river routes adjacent to flooded hexes can't be used for supply, and roads & railroads in flooded hexes are trails (so not usable for supply).

BUT - per sequence of play, you only determine supply AFTER the operation segment. Which, if I'm reading this right, means the supply effects of flooding, by a strict reading of the rules, happen on the next turn, when the flooding might have already ended.

Is this the intent? Is the supply phase in the wrong place in the sequence of play?

------------------------------

Changing sequence of play has not much consequences except that out of supply units suffer immediately. This means that when one starts an operation he has to anticipate next turn supply check. A note could warn players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard To
Hong Kong
Wanchai
n/a
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul for the clarification. Sorry for not having been active here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You’re overlooking the impact of Flood on Partial Command units ... their movement is impacted by curtailed supply line in the Ops Phase right after the Flood. And, units will suffer he effects of Flood all next turn ... which often enough is a Flood turn on the General Events table.

So, leave he Supply Phase where it is and deal with the one turn where Floods only impact Partial Command. Think of it as the Flood waters are rising that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard To
Hong Kong
Wanchai
n/a
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about the confusion. The sequence of play should NOT be changed. I deleted my previous comments which I admit, was made haphazardly.

When there is FLOOD in a summer turn, units should have a chance to get out of locations affected by the flood. If they cannot, they lose supply at the post operation segment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reviewing these threads, Leonard. Your involvement in these discussions will not only help clarify the rules, but help us understand your reasoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I changed my errata file and edited my message according to Leonard's clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.