United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my diary of victory:

Castaway Diary

September 27, 1701

I have been washed ashore onto an unknown island, following the wreck of the HMS Badger, en route to Philadelphia. I have made contact with a native, whom I have named 'Friday' for today, and his dog. I have been able to collect only a broken bottle and the ship's storm glass from the wreckage, although I can see what may be food crates bobbing in the nearby surf.

I was the ship's carpenter, and in the event that my stay on this island is to be an extended one, I have ideas for many things I will try to fashion. Whether I have the time, resources, and strength, only God knows. But I am glad to be alive.

This morning we gathered some wood and fished, catching several unidentified fish for our supper. I'm keen on exploring this island today, and to that end, I am sending Friday and the dog out together, whilst I see what I can see.

I traveled eastward and found grasslands, complete with wild beasts. Still, with all the abundant grass, I'm pretty certain I could build some stout ropes. In the afternoon I made little headway to the northeast, because I had to avoid the roaming beasts that appeared very hungry. When I got back to camp (after a frightening experience of getting lost), I found Friday back already, having also found grasslands to the southeast. All told we found some extra wood, along with some that had resin on it and will be useful for the pyre I intend to build to signal a ship.

It's been a day of mixed blessings. I'm grateful for the wood we found, but I had hoped to find some high ground and the resources that will come with it. I decided to use my broken bottle to create a sort of weapon, given the prevalence of wild beasts about.

In the evening we took supper and had to sleep under the stars, which was uncomfortable to say the least. I will have to build a shelter tomorrow. However, my morale is up, and I have confidence.

September 28

I awoke to find that predators had been all around the camp last night, killing or scaring away all the game. I am in trouble if I can't find food. Suddenly the food crates still visible on the surf look tempting. But my morale is up--I feel lighthearted and full of hope that I will overcome this terrible episode of my life. Soon I will have to hunt these beasts, and so I am glad for the glass weapon I've made.

I start the day by gathering some more wood and getting a start on my pyre by using the resin wood I found yesterday. I sent Friday and the dog back to the north to explore and decided I would build the shelter today and then try to put together some rope this afternoon. I used my handyman skills to ensure a good solid shelter. But I had less success--i.e., failure--trying to put rope together. I found it somewhat depressing trying to work with no tools. I cut my hands a few times. But Friday returned in the afternoon to report he had found mountains. He also found a cave that could serve as a shelter in need, and he brought back some food for the night.

I decided to move the camp that night to the east, because we will need a convenient base for further exploration.

September 29

A storm last night battered my small encampment and managed to destroy my glass weapon. I am now helpless if attacked. But we gathered some food for supper tonight and commenced the day's adventures.

I put the last of the resin wood on the pyre and decided to spend the morning building a hatchet and the afternoon exploring. Meanwhile I sent Friday and the dog eastward. I built the hatchet using my handyman skills, and in the afternoon I traveled southeast and ran into a river. There were many wild animals around it, and I don't think I will return here until I manufacture some sort of weapon. I did find some rocks that I can fashion into some handy tools, which will be a big help. Friday returned and reported finding mountainous terrain to the east. To my amusement he swaggered into camp wearing an old pirate's saber under his belt. We have at least one sword now between us.

After supper I agonized over what to do about the camp. There are predators stalking us from beach, and I know they are intent on ravaging the perimeter of our camp in search of food. If I move the camp tonight, they will destroy what little food I will have in the mountains. Instead, I feel I must stay and let them wreak their havoc here. I will move to the mountains tomorrow night. But I need to act quickly, because bad weather is on the way.

September 30

I woke up this morning with a loss of hope. I will spend the day building, arranging the camp, or resting. Once again the predators have cleaned out my food resources. I add some wood to the pyre and then spend the day building a roof in the morning and some rope (with Friday) in the afternoon.

The rain comes as expected, but my roof holds. Tonight we move to the mountains and a fresh start!

October 1

The winds blew wildly last night, but it doesn't seem to have affected me. I spend the day building up the roof and making a fire, while Friday and the dog explore to the east. Friday returns with a report of more mountains to the east. He also brings me a goat that I can use for food and skin.

It poured even stronger tonight, but my improved roof held.

October 2

I was initially depressed at having to use such crude tools, but I awoke this morning feeling pride in what I've accomplished with them so far. Still, after breakfast, I felt acute vertigo. Not sure what this means.

I complete the third level of the pyre and then work to build the roof up some more. Friday and the dog go exploring to the south and come back with a report of more grasslands. He also brings me food that I don't need.

We feast all night as the rain comes down. The roof holds nicely.

October 3

There was a terrifying howl in the woods last night, making me fearful of more wild beasts.

I send Friday and the dog to the northwest to explore while I get to work on improving my weapons. I also will try to gather wood this afternoon. I use the storm glass to see that there will be light snow tonight.

Friday finds hills, where I can get resources to build things. He also finds an old rifle! That will be useful as I try to kill some animals around camp. I found some wood, but, as I later discovered, a viper sneaked into my pack, and I unknowingly brought it back to camp.

At night we burn some of our precious wood to stay warm, and a wild beast attacks, wounding me slightly.

October 4

A hurricane struck the island last night, devastating the lands to the south. My vertigo has cleared up. I can see in the storm glass that a severe rain storm is coming tonight. I will have to build up the roof some more to prepare.

Because I don't expect it to be too cold tonight, I can use more of my wood to build up the pyre. I work on the roof, and Friday and I fashion a pot, which will be very useful. I use the pot to make some crude weapons. I'm getting ready for the hunt.

It rains hard, but we pass a comfortable night.

October 5

A beast attacks us in the night, injuring me slightly. I also heard more noises as I tried to sleep, and I'm convinced another beast is preparing to attack me. I'm actually glad, because it will save me from having to hunt!

I complete the fourth level of the pyre and keep some wood to burn tonight. I'm making bricks today, and Friday and I will gather some more wood.

At night we burn some wood to stay warm as it snows lightly. A predator steals my supper, so I'm sleeping on an empty stomach tonight. Revenge tomorrow!

October 6

In the morning, a huge iguana attacks the camp. One of my weapons is destroyed, and I suffer a slight injury, but we have lots of food, and a usable skin. Then, while making breakfast, I was bitten by my viper friend and severely wounded. I also found that in the night a huge branch fell on my brick palisade and destroyed it.

I cook up a good breakfast in the pot and recover much of my health. I use all of our wood to work on the final level of the pyre, knowing I will probably miss my fire tonight.

I gather wood and send Friday to explore to the northeast. He returns with some more useful tools and a report of another river.

At night I have to burn some more wood, but I'm feeling great, because I think I will be rescued!

October 7

I complete my pyre and light it. My eyes fill with tears, and my heart with gratitude toward Providence when I see a ship heading my way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story. Thanks for sharing.arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Marlow
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good play. I have yet to beat the game without handpicking some of the cards. But... you should have named the native "Saturday" (assuming your log is of an Englishman).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
zjmarlow wrote:
Good play. I have yet to beat the game without handpicking some of the cards. But... you should have named the native "Saturday" (assuming your log is of an Englishman).

Mine is named August, after the month the game finally came out after almost a year of waiting and speculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rankine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great write UP!

Should have been Tuesday. Sept 27,1701 was a Tuesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.