Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an Apnex science ship a couple weeks ago and have had a chance to play with it a few times now. When I bought the expansion pack I did so with the intention of having a small cheap ship to round out a three ship Romulan fleet but I wasn't sure what to do with this little Romulan scooter.

The ship itself is nimble at slow to moderate speeds featuring white turns at speed 1-2 and a bank at speed 3. Unique among the ships I've seen so far is a white come about action at speed 2. That's right, no auxiliary power required to get this ship going in the opposite direction. In fact, the maneuver dial for the Apnex is completely devoid of red. It can't reverse but it can get to where it needs to go.

The ability to move easily does not mean that the Apnex should be anywhere other than behind your line of battle though. The named ship stats are 1/2/2/2 and the generic drops a point on shields to 1/2/2/1. This ship is crunchy, susceptible to being one punched with only a modest attack roll.

The named captain, Mirok is all about keeping his ship intact. If you are going to use him on the Apnex and keep him in close, he will be able to regenerate a hull or shield on his ship. Problem being the Apnex is so crunchy that he may not actually get the chance. The crew likewise serve to keep the ship alive, Varel can cancel a single attack before the dice are rolled. Nice way to stunt an alpha strike but it only works once. The other crew member, Parem works like Bochra, knocking out a crew upgrade on an enemy ship. Why is this on the Apnex?

Equipment wise the Apnex has a defensive and offensive piece of gear to pick from. Defensively the Interphase Generator reduces damage to a single hit, offensively the Muon Feedback Wave hits a single ship forcing them to go slow or get slammed for Speed -1 damage. Problem is that the wave can be cleared after a green or white maneuver. It doesn't persist (well, it doesn't if the victim takes an action) and so can be cleared the turn after with only minor inconvenience. I could see the Muon wave being painful if it were doubled or trebled on a ship but why would I dump that many points of a build into a bunch of Romulan Science Eggshells?

The ship ability of the Apnex is a single point damage AOE effect that cripples the movement of the Apnex. This might be good to get the last point of damage on an enemy ship but beware it also hits your ships as well. Seems kind of like a seismic charge from X-Wing. I have used it once, once to kill a Khazara and almost used it (2mm short) to knock out a Cheat Death Picard on the Enterprise-D.

So what is the Apnex good for? Out of the package with internal resources, not much. It is good at not getting hit but that doesn't win games. What it does do is dodge, massively and properly crewed provide a passive buff to the rest of your fleet. For pure Romulan builds, consider putting Donatra on the ship and buffing your other 1-2 ships with a +1 attack every single round if you keep the Apnex close in. If you are mixing and matching, Terrell from the Reliant can give a defensive +1 to the rest of the fleet for only 2 points!

Adding Sulu from TOS Enterprise grants an additional 2 defense dice for the cost of an action. That makes the Apnex defend at a possible EIGHT dice (2 agility, 4 cloak, 2 Sulu agility) and that doesn't include one from range, and perhaps another one from Terrell if he is in the build.

What you don't want to do is fight with this little ship. The purpose of a single Apnex is to support the fleet, not fight in it. Swarms of science ships are possible but those would rely on the Muon wave and would still be extremely vulnerable to focus fire smashing.

I would love to see a crew or tech card that forces an opponent to target the Apnex if possible, ala Biggs Darklighter. That ability in concert with the drunken master dodging skills of the Apnex would make a really interesting combo. Glass jawed the ship may be but first you have to hit that jaw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've been wanting to use it, but not found a good way. It seems like anyone who knows what the muon weapon does is just going to do a 1 maneuver so it's only good for sharking people who are new to the game, so why bother. The defensive abilities of the cards could work, but they're all so expensive that you're better off just running another ship. I guess if it had a 5 or 6 straight then you could suicide it into a formation for the aoe attack, but without it, it's just too hard to get there and your intentions are telegraphed from miles away. Just having a single attack die makes it kind of useless as filler too.

The mission was fun, but my opponent nicely slid by my attempts to block him and blew up the science ship after both tests ended up damaging the ship.

Both this and the Praetus seem like cheap ships without a good use against the large monster ships we're mostly running. Good for getting Mirok and Captain Valdore, maybe those mines too, but not a lot else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I like to use the Apnex as a blocker and fire support ship. Put a commander who gives +1 attack dice to other captains on board, and then just fly around and get in the way of other enemy ships. If they're firing on the Apnex, they AREN'T firing on my other ships, which are the heavy hitters.

The Apnex is a good little 'weasel unit', which I like to use to mess up the other play and throw some friction their way.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to find a place for it for my OP month 2 build (70 pts). It's turning out to be a good little buff ship form my Valdore:

I.R.W. Valdore (Romulan 30)
Jean-Luc Picard (Federation 7)
Mr. Spock (Federation 6)

R.I.S. Apnex (Romulan 14)
Donatra (Romulan 4)
Muon Feedback Wave (Romulan 4)
Varel (Romulan 5)

Total Point Cost: 70

I keep it cloaked behind the Valdore so Donatra can buff its first Alpha strike. Then flare it out to the side and drop the Muon on the opponent's lead ship. Varel is a must so it lasts long enough to do so, otherwise it goes down quick. After that, if it can swing around and do its 1 damage Action, that's just a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
I've been trying to find a place for it for my OP month 2 build (70 pts). It's turning out to be a good little buff ship form my Valdore:

I.R.W. Valdore (Romulan 30)
Jean-Luc Picard (Federation 7)
Mr. Spock (Federation 6)

R.I.S. Apnex (Romulan 14)
Donatra (Romulan 4)
Muon Feedback Wave (Romulan 4)
Varel (Romulan 5)

Total Point Cost: 70

I keep it cloaked behind the Valdore so Donatra can buff its first Alpha strike. Then flare it out to the side and drop the Muon on the opponent's lead ship. Varel is a must so it lasts long enough to do so, otherwise it goes down quick. After that, if it can swing around and do its 1 damage Action, that's just a bonus.

I'm using the Apnex in a very similar fashion, but in a 3 ship build without the Muon. It makes a great passive buff ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking now about putting Terrel on it and then once my ships get close running it behind the enemy and detonating while backing away with or intentionally colliding the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have one yet, but after thinking about it I've decided to spring for at least two of them, if not three or four ultimately.

The Muon token ability can probably be pretty huge, even if your adversary anticipates it. It can be used even while cloaked, it's super cheap to swarm with and still have one or two heavies, and it will give a significant maneuver advantage while your opponent gets them off. Andrew Parks (designer) has confirmed the token effect does stack, so you can buy yourself a couple turns at least for little cost.

Plus, the ship is ideal for drawing fire. I'm particularly eager to use one in the OP Month 2 to distract the orbital weapons platforms from my bigger ships. Muons will just be a bonus there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you force them to limit themselves to 1-speed maneuvers but what else do you accomplish? Once they see it's on the board they're just going to slow down if you even manage to get it in range. So maybe if you catch someone who has never seen it before you'll do a couple damage, but that sounds kind of like a cheap shot to me. Then they just do a one maneuver, take an action, and you're 5 pts. down. Really expensive for a single action denial on a ship that otherwise isn't going to be able to do much in combat. The only reason I'm going to try it, without the muon feedback, is that the other ships I need for a build are so expensive, and I expect that it'll only be good for maybe distracting an OWP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Long
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Once the Praetor and cloaked mines come out in the next expansion this ship will rarely see the light of day again in my opinion. Praetor with 2 mines = big control over game area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Gould
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
So you force them to limit themselves to 1-speed maneuvers but what else do you accomplish? Once they see it's on the board they're just going to slow down if you even manage to get it in range.

I'd say the ability to force an opponent to move slowly is pretty darned powerful. Get behind a ship, and suddenly they have very poor options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The RIS Apnex is also useful for gaming the Destroy the Scimitar scenario. The Scimitar ALWAYS moves 3, and ALWAYS uses the battlestations action. Just survive long enough to drop the token, and at least one of you outlive the Scimitar, it's gone in 4 turns. The Scenario only states 50 pts and a valdore class for the Romulan player.

Valdore-30
Mirok-2

Science vessel-12
Terrel-1
Muon Feedback Wave-4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackthorne1978 wrote:
The RIS Apnex is also useful for gaming the Destroy the Scimitar scenario. The Scimitar ALWAYS moves 3, and ALWAYS uses the battlestations action. Just survive long enough to drop the token, and at least one of you outlive the Scimitar, it's gone in 4 turns. The Scenario only states 50 pts and a valdore class for the Romulan player.

Valdore-30
Mirok-2

Science vessel-12
Terrel-1
Muon Feedback Wave-4

Doesn't that make the Scimitar scenario kinda boring, though? Why bother if you can cheat the mechanics like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
So you force them to limit themselves to 1-speed maneuvers but what else do you accomplish? Once they see it's on the board they're just going to slow down if you even manage to get it in range. So maybe if you catch someone who has never seen it before you'll do a couple damage, but that sounds kind of like a cheap shot to me. Then they just do a one maneuver, take an action, and you're 5 pts. down. Really expensive for a single action denial on a ship that otherwise isn't going to be able to do much in combat. The only reason I'm going to try it, without the muon feedback, is that the other ships I need for a build are so expensive, and I expect that it'll only be good for maybe distracting an OWP.

If you can slow your opponent down to 1-speed maneuvers, that edge is fairly huge, in my mind. For instance, you can much more safely figure out ways to jump behind them with the Enterprise or an aft torpedo. Especially if you throw a couple or more Apnexes at them, stack more than one Muon token on their biggest ship, buying you even more time, and maybe catching them with double Muon damage if they didn't see it coming.

In your scenario, where they see it coming and just slow down to 1-speed, you have effectively given all the ships in range repaired warp core breaches, and each Apnex is plenty maneuverable enough to stay in range and out of their firing arcs in that instance, especially since you can predict their moves. Even if they make some big jump forward to get out of range, they'll be showing you their backs.

I'm almost afraid the Apnex is a little broken if used properly. We'll see how it turns out when I get the two I ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Barnette
United States
Round Lake Beach
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Apnex is responsible for causing the killing blow to five enemy ships in the last four games that I've utilized it - three from the muon, two from the once-per-game action. Keep the skill of the pilot as low as possible for best results. You want the ship to move first, and therefore take the first action. I absolutely swear by this little ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me ask this....

If (because of points) you could only have the Apnex without Muon or Romulan science vessell generic with Muon (without the 1 damage thing), which would you add to the build?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
Let me ask this....

If (because of points) you could only have the Apnex without Muon or Romulan science vessell generic with Muon (without the 1 damage thing), which would you add to the build?

That's a good question, but in my case I'd go generic every time, I think. I much prefer a precise weapon to an indiscriminate one. And the Muon just has so much potential beyond a 1-damage attack. It can have an ongoing effect, even (or especially) if it is never used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levant Mayne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
People seem to be forgetting the obvious... The Muon Wave is an action.
If you put a Level 1 Captain in it, then say, use it as an Action on a level 2+ Captain and they have planned a 5 maneuver... That's damage straight to the hull with no reduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used the Apnex in combination with the Valdore and Khazara to take the win in the OP 1 event. I cleanly dispatched the entire fleet of 2 opponents and most of the fleet of the third.

I completely ignored the Muon wave upgrade and used the Apnex one hit wonder. I had captain Mirok on board and then drove the little ship in circles healing itself after I was limited to maneuver 1. I used the interphase generator to shrug off initial huge hits. The Apnex survived all battles.

The ship sufficiently distracted the enemy and for a combined total of 19 points it also delivered its share of damage. Like one of the posters above, it was crucial to the victory in my last game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfun wrote:
People seem to be forgetting the obvious... The Muon Wave is an action.
If you put a Level 1 Captain in it, then say, use it as an Action on a level 2+ Captain and they have planned a 5 maneuver... That's damage straight to the hull with no reduction.

But it's also a 'discard' not a 'disable' to use - so you are blowing your 4 squad points in an attack that...might do nothing at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you have to be close and no one who knows what the thing is and how it works would make anything other a 1 maneuver until they'd blown it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Muon may be used in conjunction with Cloaked Mines. If the target is in a minefield and really needs its action for something other than purging the Muon, then it will stay in the minefield longer or take Muon damage to get through it in less turns. The same applies to units that are close to those OWPs. If it really needs to get out of the minefield, or away from the OWPs quickly, then it will use an action to purge the Muon meaning it doesn't get to do what your opponent needed it to do that turn. If your opponent is trying to keep ships close together & you can get the Science Vessel close enough to any of them, and be reasonably difficult to predict which of them you will choose, then your opponent may have a tough choice to make them all move slowly or guess, but a wrong guess makes it worse.

As for needing to be close, you can still make your opponent nervous at longer ranges if you are going cross faction. Take Styles for the extra tech slot & Transwarp Drive to get the extra range to jump in close & place the Muon. This way you can intimidate your opponent even if you are 14 inches away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as this thread has been necro'd I'll add this:

Buying an Apnex is good for getting another Interphase Generator...that's about it at this point in the meta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.