Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in this game, but am cautious to purchase because of the well documented issues regarding coop play. My question is...is this and the solo expansion worth paying for to play archipelago primarily as a solo game?

I do have mage kight and primarily play that solo.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of a tricky question to answer. I've been enjoying it and there is a lot of gameplay there, but lets instead go over what solo play is.

Solo play is basically a set of puzzles; you have a specific goal to accomplish and everything goes toward that. Solo play is very tight and eachchoice feels very important.

There is some... ambiguity in some scenarios and some cards flat out don't work for solo, but you can bet easily play it how you like so I haven't found that to br an issue.

So is it worth it? If you like puzzles, probably. That being said, I've played it once with other people and that blew the solo game away. I would love to play more but time is tricky.

Ultimately I can't say it is or is not worth it, all I can say is as a primarily solo player, I've been enjoying it and don't regret the purchase.

Oh and its damn pretty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty much agree with everything said above. I've had some solo games end very quickly (the requirement to by a trend card every round can be tough sometimes), but I always enjoy myself. It's a different experience with people, but mechanically mostly the same. I enjoy it and, due to time, play it mostly solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent game, with others or solo. The "well documented" issues regarding co-op play have never been a problem for the different groups I've played the game with.

The solo game presents a series of interesting challenges/puzzles which could be played/solved in different ways. You can, either just play as described to obtain the best score, OR pre-arrange the cards in order to work out what the best possible score could be. The solo version is well worth it for the small extra cost.

(Caveat: You are asking the question in the game's own forums which are obviously populated predominantly with fans of the game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While I have reservations about the coop game (my friends haven't asked to try it again after the first try), I think the solo expansion makes it one of the best solo games out there. My only gripe is that most, if not all, the solo expansion goals seem almost impossible to achieve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
barbanera wrote:
My only gripe is that most, if not all, the solo expansion goals seem almost impossible to achieve.

I've played a lot of solo games of Archipelago. At first I thought this was the case - that the gold victory levels were nigh on impossible. But actually, they are often reasonably easy to achieve.

I like archipelago a lot, but principally as a multiplayer game. Solo is fun, but multiplayer is where the game shines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j41c wrote:
I am interested in this game, but am cautious to purchase because of the well documented issues regarding coop play. My question is...is this and the solo expansion worth paying for to play archipelago primarily as a solo game?

Jeff

It's not a coop game.

But really... try the game out. There are many people that feel it's a fine game as long as you don't play with a bunch of a-holes. This was one of my top games played last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Wiels
Belgium
Chatelet
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j41c wrote:

Jeff

The solo game works fine even if it is not my favorite game mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j41c wrote:

Jeff

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is better than Archipelago in every respect, especially in solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
j41c wrote:

Jeff

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is better than Archipelago in every respect, especially in solo play.

But you can actually get ahold of Archipelago, and not Robinson Crusoe!

I think Archipelago is a good solo game, if you like puzzles, because that's really all it boils down to.

I love puzzles, so I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
It's not a coop game.

But really... try the game out. There are many people that feel it's a fine game as long as you don't play with a bunch of a-holes. This was one of my top games played last year.

Agreed. Archipelago is definitely not a co-op game in the standard definition. Semi co-op, perhaps...but not really even that, so much. Archipelago is a very difficult game to categorize specificially and you really shouldn't try. That's one of it's charms.

As stated, you DO NOT want to play this with a group of dickheads who may ruin it for everyone else. This is one game where you have to remember that it is indeed, A GAME! It's meant to be played for enjoyment. It's not a test of your mental abilities and prowess at a MENSA convention or a gage of virility for some hump-headed, win or die, I must break you, type who ruins the group. People like that will destroy the experience with Archipelago especially.

All that being said, you should really try the game with a good group. That's where you'll bring out the full flavor of the game. Don't listen to the anti co-op hype. And, if you absolutely cannot stand it with your group, or even if you do enjoy it (which I think you would), the solo expansion can be picked up for less than $12 at many OLGS's. Which makes it very worth it, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the responses. Hearing that it is puzzle-like is intriguing. I also have robinson crusoe on my wish list. For me, there sounds like enough of a solo game to buy, and if i have the right group, could also enjoy it multi-player.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Go back in time and Kill Hitler!
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest disappointment with the solo game was that it's just a small deck of cards...I guess I expected more for the money! I agree with a previous poster that Robinson Crusoe outshines this game in most respects but Archipelago is shorter and is more competitive. RC has VPs but it's a co-op game at its core. This is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
After more solo plays of this and RC, I couldn't say I prefer one over the other. They both hit the table often and scratch a different itch. They are both permanent owns for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.