Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rich had requested that we play Age of Steam this weekend, so we did. I brought out the set with some trepidation - in general, I prefer playing Steam or Railways of the World with players new to the system. Sarah, Rich and I had played a few times before, but Jesse had only one or two games to his credit and Glen had never played it or a game like it.

In the first turn, Sarah built track over the far side of the board, went to move a good... and realised there weren't any to move. Her money reserves went down. It wasn't a good start, and there were a couple of other turns where she did something only to later realise she'd completely miscalculated, for instance when she bid for first player, took engineer to build four track... and then realised she only had the money left for three.

Rich and Glen durdled around moving a few cubes, but they were having trouble making longer deliveries. Sarah was eventually able to recover (somewhat) from her mistakes, but she'd had to take many more shares than me. Glen had to issue a great number of shares in the early game, but was finally able to get some sort of economy going.

Jesse never got the chance. He miscalculated his second turn badly, and was eliminated from the game as he gained no new income and had no money to pay his creditors with.

Meanwhile, I was able to build my long track almost unmolested by the other players. Sarah and Glen interfered a little with the far ends of it, but I was able to make a lot of 5-link deliveries and a few 4-link. My game was aided greatly by gaining the Engine upgrade in the first two turns; I had a hefty upkeep for the first three turns, but it shortly disappeared under the profit. And what profit! At the end of the game, I was able to bid $30 for first player status.

In the end, it was a very one-sided game. I had more track, fewer shares and more income. I'm used to Age of Steam being very hard, but this game I discovered what happens when the other players ignore you.

Final Scores:
Merric (green) 87 = 3*(34 income -6 shares -6 engine) + 21 track
Sarah (red) 54 = 3*(29 income -9 shares -6 engine) + 12 track
Rich (black) 42 = 3*(24 income -10 shares -6 engine) + 18 track
Glen (purple) 30 = 3*(18 income -10 shares -4 engine) + 18 track
Jesse - eliminated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
Elzach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something about the image strikes me as odd whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BGG.CON VFM Sales OVER now, thanks!
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
yzemaze wrote:
Something about the image strikes me as odd whistle

He's in Australia -- I think that's how they see things ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had lots of success letting new players take loans at any time for the first 2 turns (and warning them about stuff that affects that)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Eldridge
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally do better in Age of Steam than this....I didn't come last but mediocre by my standards. It too me most of the game to get a profit going which is an indictment on how I played this particular game of AoS. Bring on next time! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United Kingdom
Ventnor
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have I been playing this wrong? I didn't think engine strength factored in to the final score calculation - I thought it was just 3*(income - shares) + track?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eratos wrote:
Have I been playing this wrong? I didn't think engine strength factored in to the final score calculation - I thought it was just 3*(income - shares) + track?

It is - the OP's calculation is wrong and purple lost by an extra six points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.