Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: So i lost all three of my battles today at my Event.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Clark
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I realize i made some mistakes but, i now am feeling like i wasted my money and time, and that i have absolutely no chance at winning the grand prize... I don't know what to do... i got ROLLED over and over and over...My build wasn't good i know... i have the money to buy any of the ships i would need.. but i don't know if its worth investing more money just so that i can fall short because of a crappy Month 1...soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please give us details so we can help you. What was your build? What happened in each battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
Please give us details so we can help you. What was your build? What happened in each battle?

Indeed, make it so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much or more than the prize thing is whether you think you'd have fun once you get the game down and feel like you have a chance in any particular match.

Just guessing here, but two tips for this game are always fly three ships, since with two you won't be able to use enough of the upgrades in any given turn to make it worth it, and focus fire as much as you possibly can. Getting your ships split up early on can put you at a disadvantage you just can't recover from. The dice can swing hard in this game, but because the attack values are so high compared to the defense, the first person to lose a ship is usually in trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
I went on and lost all 3 of my matches today too.

You know what?

I had fun doing it.

And got to meat a few really awesome people that I hope to game with in the future (and not just Attack Wing either).

DIE EVIL PICARD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Borg
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So did I.

I have multiple venues to play at so I'm hoping I can at least maybe win at one of them.

While going into the store I had only purchased the Starter the previous nights so I didn't have much to work with. I put in the Enterprise with Picard, Obrian, Mines, Torpedo and Klag. Romulan Side, Toreth, Data, Plasma Advanced Weapon System, N'Vek, and Bochra.

Putting Data on the Romulan ship was a mistake. Again never having played more than once I didn't realize that. I think I would have had a better chance if I'd have put Picard in the Klingon ship and stuck with the cloak and fire of it every turn, might have made a huge difference.

It's amazing to see the combos that are out there, to even have a chance you almost have to get one of each of the expansions!! That's just freaking crazy if you ask me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
thats going to happen until more expansions become avaible. your lucky, at least you had players show up to play. I didn''t get any and resorted to lassoing a couple of looky-loos into demo games. just so I would have something to do and maybe they will show up at the OP2 event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you got a game to only win, then there is always a 50/50 chance you have actually totally wasted your money. Every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get your moneys worth, just in the participation prizes.
I had several people pay and drop, just to get the elite die and ds9 template.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Really!? You are playing just to win the grand price. Just play to have fun, pay a small entry fee to get involved and help a local business, you also meet other players, there are other reasons (better reasons) to play, If anything look up deep space 9 model kit and build it , (I just finished K7 next will be DS9)

Plus there are monthly prizes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krynn7 wrote:
I realize i made some mistakes but, i now am feeling like i wasted my money and time,

Well like others have already said, the participation prizes and playing the game should be enough to have an enjoyable time.

Krynn7 wrote:
and that i have absolutely no chance at winning the grand prize..

Well that's not true at all. If you lost all 3 of your matches you still got 4 Battle points. The winner (if he went undefeated) at most got 10. Winnin the event is worth 3 points itself...it's not hard to catch up and you have 5 months to catch up if that is your goal.

Krynn7 wrote:
I don't know what to do... i got ROLLED over and over and over...My build wasn't good i know... i have the money to buy any of the ships i would need

Well some players are far more familiar with the Flight Path system from coming over from X-Wing.......and many players haven't played very much Attack Wing before their first event.....which can cause some lopsided games.

Had you played much before the event?

Quote:
but i don't know if its worth investing more money just so that i can fall short because of a crappy Month 1...soblue

If your only interest is in winning the grand prize then it's probably not worth it.

But the monthly prizes and the participation prizes look very nice and sound like they are enticing enough to have fun at the events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, remember that even the top players can have bad days down the line as well! Heck, our first place player in our event won't be able to make it to the second event at all. Even if you lost all your games, you get 3 battle points for attending and staying for the whole tournament, and the most any other player can get is 6.

Even if you just attend every event, you have an advantage over anyone who misses one, as after 2 events you have at LEAST as many points as someone who took first placed but missed an event (3+3 comapared to 6+0). Even without that though, you may have a slightly harder time winning the grand prize, but every tournament has its own prizes as well, plus the participation goodies! Even just the next resource in OP2 (Command Tokens) will be well worth it.

EDIT: Ninjad by traitor armor. also, his point scale is more accurate than mine, but you get the idea :-j

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP - I understand it can be disheartening to go 0 and 3 in the first round of a tournament (which this certainly is), but there's more to the game than winning the grand prize at the end - not only do you get the participation prizes for taking part in the events, you're almost guaranteed to use the proceeds from the entry fee in the event itself (indeed, you have to if the organizer follows the rules set forth by Wizkids - though they do not need to) - which is a lot more than many people can say about some of the purchases they've made.
In the end, enjoy the ride, learn what you can from each game and keep improving your play. You may do terribly, but as long as you have fun and/or learn more about the game along the way, it's all worth it (besides, with what I understand of how well the OP is going, it's going to be slim pickings to try for the grand prize anyways, better to hope to do well at the events themselves, as those prizes are at least in grasp).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on how WizKids does other things, there are going to be more prizes to be had in the 6th OP. Still lots of speculation on what the top of each faction gets, or the winningest faction. Usually HeroClix tournaments have some sort of prize for one or the other (so I'm told)

If your build wasn't good, post up and you will get help with it. What was your strategy? What were you up against?

I ran one of these yesterday and a TOS Enterprise and Enterprise D took the day (he also had a D7 with Nu'Daq that never fired a single shot, and only soaked up a single shot from another ship). The two Enterprises seemed to do just fine for him and his playstyle.

If you can only practice by yourself, pick up the Valdore expansion for the mission there that can easily be played solo. Practice flying. Most of the tournaments I attended everyone there had a very good idea of range (that looks like range 2, , yup, range 2). Knowing just how far things are apart from one another helps tons. So does doing unexpected things, like taking the chance of a minefield to get a side-shot at range 1 on another ship. Lots of ways to improve, you need only ask

And lastly, you are not "out" by any means. You only need 12 points to compete in OP6, you got 4 of them yesterday. Attend two more at maximum and you can attend OP6. As for fleet points, the most anyone can get is 330. The maximum is known if you go through all the OP Events scoring, but you can make that up easily in another event. Go in and play strong. If you want to be good at it, practice and field a list that works for you and the event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not alone. I lost all three of mine too. I had a great time though, and died honorably in the first two. If time had been called ten seconds earlier--literally--in my first match, I would have won. That makes for a fun game.

But I got to play with some pretty nice and kindred guys in my store, and they were kind enough to vote me the "Miss Congeniality" Fellowship prize, giving me the second copy of the Krayton. So my point is, if you keep a positive and friendly attitude, you can be rewarded.

Next month I'll be back with the Defiant. The Federation won't go down so easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
If you got a game to only win, then there is always a 50/50 chance you have actually totally wasted your money. Every game.

I don't share this incredibly bleak view of attack wing that you imply above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Perrin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Echo2Omega wrote:
I went on and lost all 3 of my matches today too.

You know what?

I had fun doing it.

And got to meat a few really awesome people that I hope to game with in the future (and not just Attack Wing either).

DIE EVIL PICARD!

Evil Picard here.

Very good matches at Great Lakes yesterday though I think I need to reevaluate cloaking... or figure out a squad layout that can counter cloaking better. Looking forward to our next battle.

Commenting on the OP, well, it's a long road to month 6 and it looks like the environment is going to change quite a bit even in the next month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing the OP for fun and the participation prizes. Anything else I win is a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took my SO with me to the closest event this week as we'd both never played and just wanted to go have fun. I got stomped with a build I'd carefully picked based on lots of reading here. She won the whole event based on her choice of the "cute green ships" and picked the "girl captain with the adorable ears". So, random choice of two "cute" Romulan ships /w two random captains, elite attack die, and misc things so she could get as close to 100 as possible.

She even played against the judge who was participating and stomped him.

How could I be mad, she won us the ferengi ship... and the look on everyone's face when her name got announced and the judge said "... who won with the cutest ships" was priceless.

She'll be coming along to all future events with me. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I'm feeling better than i was yesterday... blush

Just to clarify i never said all i wanted to do is win... but in order to enjoy myself my brain needs to know i have a CHANCE of winning...

I have not played very much...

My fleet was a embarrassment, lets put it this way... i never got to use either of my captains ability's, OR any of my crew... because i was dumb enough to choose the only two captains that could actually negate each other...(Martok and GenCon Khan) also i went with two ships(Klingon D7, and Klingon Neg,Var)... which was a mistake because i didn't understand the points rules... two 50ish point ships = more points for opponent when destroyed...

I actually never made a movement mistake(Run-in or off the board)... I guess i don't understand on a one on one, hour long match how you are supposed to execute a real tactical movement... i seem like i was always in range of another attacker...

Lets not even mention my rolls...

Also i got killed by the only Broken thing i've seen in the game so far... The weird Romulun Token of move and DIE!

I also only had 93 Points in my build... which is a HUGE mistake... because it basically give a 100 point opponent a free extra 7 points...

I want to play the Klingon's... but they just seem so weak compared to other races...

Thanks for your time and understanding... ill post my actual list later...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that sounds rough. The Klingons are a great faction, and are hands down the strongest (in terms of raw damage output) of the factions out right now. You have at least one of each ship, so you should be able to pull of a double-fatty with support build (the one I was considering was Gowron on a Negh'Var, Martok and Drex on the Vor'Cha, and a generic Captain with Projected Stasis Field on the D7). Pick up another D7 or two, and you could also run a hybrid Fatty/Swarm build with Gowron on a Vor'Cha or Negh'Var with four generic D7s flying around to provide weight of fire (position them correctly, you're looking at 4 strength 4 and 1 strength 5 attack at range 2 each turn). You'll have 4 points left over, and you will lose some ships along the way, but it's hard to say that that build won't cause some major grief to your opponent - especially if you can focus fire in the first few turns.

For more defenses, you could grab another starter and either go with a double fatty with Advanced Cloaking Systems to beef up your defenses (you'll only be out 2 shields, so not too much of a loss), or just run the first list I posted with double ACS. Very frightening, and could definitely cause quite a bit of mayhem.

One thing to note about the Muon token - it can be nasty if it isn't expected (especially if it's on a low-skill captain who can get it off before the target moves), but it's also very easy to get rid of. IIRC (don't have my copy in front of me), all you have to do to be rid of it is take a Green maneuver, so your opponent should only get one, maybe two turns of good use from it before it's discarded - unless they're good at reading your moves, in which case that could be a recipe for you to end up with their ships at range one on your back. There are nastier cards in the game, but this one can still mess you up if you're not expecting it.

Hope that helps, and best of luck in your next game! Just get some games in and make sure you practice keeping your opponents in your firing arcs - and staying out of theirs! The Kobiyashi Maru would be a great scenario to practice the latter on. Not so sure about what to do on the first...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krynn7 wrote:
I want to play the Klingon's... but they just seem so weak compared to other races...

3 of the top 4 players at my OP yesterday played Klingons (2 3 ship builds and a 2 ship build). I won with a 3 ship build of 2 Negh'Vars and a Vorcha rolling like 19-20 attack dice per turn. The Klingons are VERY strong, but you have to utilize the big ships and captains that help boost attack to get the most mileage from them. Even versus cloak, rolling 6-8 dice versus 5-6 defense still gives you the advantage statistically on damage, and when you get a target lock...oh boy.

Personally I don't like the D7...the ship just dies too fast. When you can get about the same attack dice off over fewer, sturdier ships, you have less chances of losing ships earlier and should keep more firepower throughout the game.

Ultimately any faction or idea can work if well thought out and luck is on your side. Definitely find fleet you like and then practice maneuvering them around as a unit. I had 2 games with my fleet before the OP against friends just to get an idea how thy functioned together

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie virus
msg tools
In my experience, tactics make a bigger difference than anything else. A well run fleet with a terrible build can generally defeat a poorly commanded fleet with a great build, especially in OP events where poor maneuver planning can wreck your entire game.

Some general tactical maxims I rely on:

-Don't rely on luck, make your own luck: If your ships are cloaked but damaged, decloak them and absorb some hits on the shields. There's little more humiliating for a Klingon player than getting a ship destroyed before decloaking. Always be aware that an attack roll might fail, and a defense roll might yield no evasions. Many new players seem to focus a lot on making sure their attacks and defenses have a 90% chance of succeeding, rather than settling for something like a 75% chance and using the savings to build a better fleet.

-Focus fire, even if it costs you attack dice: When attacking, it generally pays to attack the enemy ship with the highest captain rating first, even if it has more hull and shields than other ships you could fire on. If you get an enemy ship down to one hull point, it's usually worth it to use all of the attacks your fleet can make to destroy the ship, even if you miss the ship several times. I've won several games as a result of my opponents getting frustrated attacking a ship with decent evade dice and choosing to attack a ship with lower defense (and more intact shields and hull).

-Turn and Burn: Aggressive maneuvering wins games, period. Try to stay calm when you're planning your maneuvers, and figure out what your opponent least expects you to do. Frequently, this means a red maneuver, and well chosen red maneuvers will absolutely win games for you. If you can complete a red maneuver in the middle of a pitched dogfight, it's almost certainly a maneuver worthy of consideration. Don't be afraid to intentionally bump opponents' ships during dogfights either. Setting yourself up in a firing position is a lot better than being caught in a retreating stance, even at the cost of an action.

-Starships generally move forward: Predicting what maneuvers your opponents will make is a vital skill, but there's something of a cheat you can use to make it easier. Every single starship in the game except for federation ships (and the D'deridex and the Feringi Marauder) will end its movement somewhere in the same direction it was facing at the start of the turn. As a result of this, players will tend to move very quickly if not in range of enemy ships, and as slowly as possible when in range. (since fire arcs become more substantial the further you get from enemy ships) Its almost universally a safe assumption that the enemy will turn towards your ships, and by keeping these simple facts in mind, you can often predict half or of an opponents movements each turn, and respond in kind.

-Never let them see you bleed: In a tournament, maintaining a cool, collected, confident aura is worth all the latinum in Quark's strongbox. Although you do need to be careful not to overdo a competitive attitude, a calm, professional demeanor wins games. Never admit to your opponent that you're afraid of losing, and keep your poker face up during the battle no matter how badly your fleet is losing. Come from behind victories are certainly possible in attack wing, and just a simple lucky streak on the dice can score you a bunch of fleet points, as well as helping you qualify for the fellowship award. I've known world champions of several collectable games, and the thing they have in common is that they never give up until the bitter end, and do it with a smile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Very Good Advice. Thanks!

I do have a question for you... What Is your usual opening move? Do you go straight and attack the opponent or do you hold back? I really felt that i was in a NO-WIN situation the entire event...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Against a new opponent I usually go slow and then rush in when I get a sense for how far they're going to move.

At least with the muon token now that you've seen it you'll probably never be too troubled by it again. I feel like it's only effective against people who don't know what it does. Now when you see it coming just do 1 maneuvers and one-shot that ship.

I'd say not to think about the number of ships in terms of points for the enemy, but the number of attack dice you can use in a single turn. Most of the crew you can use also take up an action, so more than one is often a waste, since you can only use one action per turn.

The only real battle report I can find is from this guy, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KZQGUK-XBc, but he flies a Klingon build really well, using 3 ships with high attack, keeping them close together, and trying to take out a target per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.