Jeffry Starke
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi BGG community!

I was wondering if y'all had any recommendations for games that are strategic yet fun.

To give some examples, we're really into things like Small World, 7 Wonders, Zombicide, Smash Up, Tokaido, Takenoko, Star Trek Catan, Suburbia, and Elder Sign. Some games that are on the higher-end of our strategic abilities (for the most part) are Battlestar Galactica and Viticulture. We love the games, but we always feel exhausted after playing them.

We don't really care for games where one player can get eliminated, and then there's another twenty minutes of playing that they can't participate in (a la King of Tokyo sometimes).

We're a smaller group, with 3-5 people most of the time, so we'd definitely like games that can accommodate five people, but it's not a requirement. Games for two are definitely not something we're looking for, since everyone likes to participate.

Thanks! Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades
Lords of Waterdeep
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops

Survive

Cyclades

Mission: Red Planet

Lords of Waterdeep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninjato

and

Stone Age

both are medium/light weight, offer some strategic depth, and are considered by many to be fun.

Both of these only accommodate up to 4 though.

You might consider card drafting to be fun. If so, 7 Wonders plays 3 to 7 and is quite fun. It plays surprisingly fast for that many players and is easy to get in 2 games back to back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Ninjato

and

Stone Age

both are medium/light weight, offer some strategic depth, and are considered by many to be fun.

I would hope all games are considered fun by those who enjoy them ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Ninjato

and

Stone Age

I would hope all games are considered fun by those who enjoy them ninja

There are a few games I enjoy playing that I admit have a low fun factor, Chess and Caylus are two such games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thiel
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Lords of Waterdeep (must buy!!!)
Ticket to Ride
Kingsburg
Airlines Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Cosmic Encounter AND Mission: Red Planet

Also, Check out:

Sewer Pirats
Firenze
Carson City
Tammany Hall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Awesome
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle

Was more light than expected, then again Im a pro in this business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaded Lounges
United States
Vashon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Noli me tangere, Caesaris sum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg and Lords of Waterdeep are great suggestions.

Also check out Seasons, Alien Frontiers, and Cutthroat Caverns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City has been a recent hit in my group, and it is a fun fast playing WP game with lots of interaction which can play up to 5. I highly recommend it.

On the lighter end is Rise of Augustus. It's "Gamer Bingo", but it has been surprisingly fun. A game where you can relax and chill out while playing it.

Another light to medium strategy game which can play up to 5 relatively quickly is Notre Dame. It has a card draft element which should not be unfamiliar to your group since you have played 7 Wonders.

Finally, if your group likes tile laying games then I can also recommend Glen More, which is another light-medium game which plays up to 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Ninjato

and

Stone Age

Both of these only accommodate up to 4 though.

The (IMHO) horribly titled Stone Age: The Expansion expands Stone Age to 5 players. I haven't gotten mine to the table, but I've hear good things about it, and it passes my test of read-the-rules, will-this-work?

I also like Glen More, but a very thinky fun.

Fun is different things for different people, and I can only guess at your perceptions. From looking at your ratings: Glen More, probably too thinky; Stone Age, maybe; Mission: Red Planet, probably. (You should definitely pay no attentions to my ratings, though you might find my notes useful, with the caution that I love problem-solving--which is probably apparent from my game ratings and notes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth and +1 to Airlines Europe and Kingsburg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:

Quick caveat: I definitely do NOT recommend Cosmic Encounter for three players. It's great with four or more, not so good with three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely recommend Lords of Waterdeep with the Scoundrels of Skullport expansion. Light-to-medium difficulty strategy game, very fun, no player elimination and it works great with 3-5 players. Also it's on a Tabletop episode, which I notice a bunch of the games you mentioned appeared on.

For a fun 3-5 player cooperative game I really like Sentinels of the Multiverse, it's gone over very well with my groups, is simple to learn but has a lot of card interactions that lend themselves to interesting tactics, all in a very thematic way. I also like Pandemic and Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. Legendary Marvel isn't too deep a game, but it's my favorite deck building game. Pandemic is easy to learn but challenging and rewarding to beat. I don't own the In The Lab expansion but it's also very highly recommended by reviewers who enjoy Pandemic since the Lab adds a ton of extra theme to the game without significantly increasing the difficulty or game length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Starke
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone! I'll definitely be checking out Lords of Waterdeep, since it got multiple recommendations, and I'll look at all of the others as well. I really appreciate it!

And funny story about a lot of our stuff being on TableTop. With the exception of Takenoko, we got all of our stuff before it was featured on the show. Literally two weeks before they played Smash Up on there, we bought it thinking it looked fun. It's kind of a running joke that whenever we buy a game, that means they're gonna feature it on TableTop sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffstarke wrote:
It's kind of a running joke that whenever we buy a game, that means they're gonna feature it on TableTop sometime.

Please buy a copy of 404: Law Not Found! I've already had a bunch of people tell me that I should try to get it on TableTop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants & Marauders could be worth a look.

Dungeon Fighter is definitely a game that is a lot of fun.

+1 Cutthroat Caverns
+1 Kingsburg
+1 Stone Age

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
a bit longer and medium complex:
Power Grid

Village

a bit shorter and lighter:
Mesopotamia

The Downfall of Pompeii

Condottiere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DEFINITELY check out Cyclades! I think your group will adore it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.