Nations» Forums » General

Subject: Is keeping track of the math very important? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression from the rules that each player should be aware of where he is on the various elements in the game, keeping in mind the production phase, for instance, how much gold he will generate in total, how much food - whether he will be in the plus or minus column, how much stone, what his military count will be, etc.

I was thinking it looks like each player might want to have a piece of paper and a pen handy, so each time they make a change in their cards by adding something new, or putting a worker on a card, maybe they should keep track of this information.

Am I overstating the importance of this, or is this something that might be a good idea? I don't have a problem with keeping track of these things on paper, but I can see how this could be a little off-putting if this is a necessary thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With only 13 workers, the math doesn't seem that difficult to me (military and stability are updated when you build them, not in production, so I don't see a problem there).

What you could do is set aside the resource chits you're going to get next production, and add or subtract from them appropriately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:

What you could do is set aside the resource chits you're going to get next production, and add or subtract from them appropriately.

it seems to be a good idea !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar Rosén
msg tools
mbmb
About 2 years ago we actually used to have tracks for production. If you feel like this gives you a better overview I say go for it. The reason why we removed this was; 1 Nations is a fluid game where players adapt and change buildings/military units often which means you have to do quite a lot of updating.
2 People would tend to sometimes forget updating when building which could create misinformation and taking of incorrect amount of resources.

But if you are a very competitive group where everyone likes to keep exact track of everything that the other players produce it could be something that would benefit you.

According to my experience apart from stability/military strength the most important resource to keep track of is book production on scoring rounds. Try to keep an eye on your enemies in that regard so you won't lose precious VP's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Rise and fall of Anvalor, designed by me!
mbmbmbmbmb
During several years of development we had tracks for the resource production that you increased and decreased as production changed, and looked at during the production phase to see how much to take or lose. It was a lot of upkeep and did not really help all that much, you often had to check again during production that you had not forgotten something.

When we tested without such tracks the game became more fun and faster. When building or destroying something you do just that and are done, very fast and no upkeep. For most decisions it does not really matter what your exact production of that resource is (say, 6 or 8 gold), your other considerations are much more important; how does your upgrade path look like, what buildings are you about to replace, what can you do right now with the resources you have etc. You want to have some buffers, it is hard to play just on the edge. You want the buffers to be spread over the resources rather than having a huge pile of something and nothing of the rest.

Food is the main thing you might check an extra time, and also something you know you are going to lose to a war and want to make sure you stay above 0.

The numbers you have to add up are intentionally small. The military strength are bigger numbers, but those you keep track of with the strength meter.

Edit: Answering at the same time as Einar I agree, book production (and upgrade capabilities) of opponents you are competing with is important to keep track of at the end of an age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.