5 Posts

Alien Frontiers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Assigning ships to orbital outposts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gil Nerio
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hello. Quick question: is there any specific order for assigning ships to an orbital outpost? Can you add ships to an outpost to obtain the benefit, do something else, and then add another ship to the same outpost or do ALL the ships that will be assigned to an outpost have to be placed there at the same time?

This question applies considering both the standard turn AND several alien tech cards and their abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went through the rules and could not find any stipulation about the number of times you may use an orbital station in one turn. Furthermore, the language in the section about the Colonist Hub implies you may use it whenever you have leftover dice. But the best evidence comes from the Alien Artifacts station where you use any die to cycle the cards. Because each cycling is a discrete action you would have to be able to use it multiple times even if those uses are in succession. I guess the Lunar Mine could also be considered one action per die placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Nerio
Mexico
flag msg tools
I agree. In some of the stations it makes sense to be adding one by one, and if you're using the mind control tech card it also makes sense that you could add another ship to a station that you already control (albeit in this case it would be an opponent's die). I guess the main concern would be in case someone doesn't plan out their actions correctly and during their turn they realize they need additional fuel, for example, and have to allocate another ship to the solar station. Or if, again using the mind control alien tech, and the orbital teleporter alien tech in conjunction they were to move two different dice to another station where they'd already allocated dice previously.

At least in the game we played it seemed a bit fishy/cheesy that you could assign ships to one station, then later one assign more there again (particularly in the non-sequential die stations).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
As long as there are open spots to place a die, then no problem going back to a facility you've used before. I think it would be a pain if you couldn't, it would make people plan out their entire moves before placing any dice which could really slow things down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are distinct groupings on the board where all dice must be placed, vs one at a time.

Orbtial Market(2), Raider's Outpost (3), Shipyard (2) and Colony Constructor (3) require that their "set" of dice be docked at the same time.

Lunar Mine, Solar Converter, Colonist Hub and Alien Artifact can have dice docked completely separately throughout your turn.

* Technically, you might use orbital market or shipyard or even colony constructor multiple times on your turn: each "set" must be docked together, but that doesn't mean you can't use the facility with a different "set" later in your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.