Bel Aire
Kansas
flag msg tools
publisher
http://www.eggrules.com/games/games-d-l/gallerist-the/
badge
US Sales Manager for Eagle-Gryphon Games
mbmbmbmbmb
This session report may be a little unique. Over the weekend, I had a great opportunity to demo a couple Eagle/Gryphon games at Exploration Place (The Science and Discovery Center in Wichita, KS.) Their newest traveling exhibit is Mindbender Mansion, that exhibit centers around interactive brainteasers and logic puzzles. I went there for two demo sessions over the opening weekend to tie-in how board games can provide a fun way for parents to teach math, reasoning, logic and many other skills to their children. The first session was on Friday from 4pm - 8pm and the second was Saturday from 11am - 4pm.

Setting up and getting ready to teach some games!

I selected two great family games to show off and demo, For Sale and Can't Stop. While I explained how to play For Sale to many many families, the game everyone was fascinated about playing was Can't Stop. With its nice, big red stop sign shaped board and brightly colored playing pieces both kids and adults were instantly drawn to it. I had many family's come up and ask me questions about the games, how to play them, where to buy them, etc. It was a great opportunity to get exposure for our wonderful hobby and promote some of the awesome family games that Eagle/Gryphon provides.

Several games of Can't Stop were played over the weekend. I will share a couple of the different sessions. One of the families that sat down to play Can't Stop already held a weekly family board game night. They shared with me that their game nights usually consisted of Apples to Apples, Monopoly, and so on. I told them that Can't Stop, along with the Gryphon Bookshelf series of games, like For Sale, would be a fantastic addition to their gaming nights.

The Husband went with the blue cones, the Wife played pink, and their little boy, who was also named Jason, chose green. I demonstrated how a player's turn worked as a visual reference when I was explaining the rules. Jason caught onto the rules very quickly and did a great job playing, he wasn't afraid to keep on pressing his luck either.

His Dad had a pretty good lead on 8, while his mom had a good run on 9. They were more careful, however, and stopped after only making a little bit on progress on the tracks they were working on. As the game went on, Jason was able to pull off some great runs that eventually lead to his victory by rolling a 1,2,3,4, giving him the two 5's he needed for the win! They were really impressed with the game and wanted to add it to their game nights, which I was especially happy to hear.

Another fun game involved Erin, August and Bart. Erin had never heard of Can't Stop and wanted to give it a go. I ended up playing the game along with them. Erin was very good about knowing when to stop, she also had really good luck rolling those double 6's and snake eyes. Bart and I would always try to get to roll one more time, but she wouldn't give in to the peer pressure. I was able to lock out the 7 column pretty early on, giving everyone a little more hesitation about rolling too much.

Bart, after falling a little behind, got more risky and decided he really couldn't stop. It paid off for him and he was able to lock out the 8 and then the 10 on his next turn, turning it into a three way tie for the lead. August, with Green, had locked out the 2 and 11, Erin, playing blue, had the 12 and 9, and I only had the yellow cone locked into column 7 after busting on a couple turns in a row. Erin pulled off the win with her next turn securing her victory! Erin found the game very addicting and even came back later in the day to play it again!

It was very rewarding being able to spend the time to demo these games for many different groups of people, who otherwise may never have been exposed to these great family games. I was very excited to hear all of the positive feedback from everyone who enjoyed playing, especially the kids. Hopefully, this means I'll be invited back for future demoing events at Exploration Place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.