Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I am writing a scenario that utilizes some new mechanics, and I have come up with an idea that has worked in (limited) playtesting, so I wanted to throw it out here for more comprehensive feedback.

Basically, it is that the keeper may spend threat (BEFORE the die is rolled) to alter the number needed to roll to pass a test. I am using this in a section of the scenario when the keeper does not have access to monsters or mythos cards (details forthcoming), but in order to make the section interesting for all, I allow the keeper to use threat to hinder the investigators skill tests. So far, as I said, it has worked well in this limited test.

As I have been working on the rest of the scenario, I have wondered how it would work to make this available for other, more typical parts of the scenario. It takes a lot of threat to really screw up a test, but a little used at the proper time could induce a player to use a skill point, while a single threat could turn a close roll into a failure.

I play Mansions in a relaxed manner with my kids, and am not as interested in a competitive experience as a fun evening, so I think I'll make it a house rule, but I wanted to see if there is any real unbalancing aspect of this that I am missing.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly not a bad idea. Could be really interesting in a custom scenario. Also, might really skew the balance, to the keeper, in a lot of situations. Certainly would have to keep a lot of pressure on the keeper, by objectives, so threat is tight.

My 2-Cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the keeper doesn't have access to monsters, what kind of rolls are the investigators making that you are trying to foul? You don't have to roll for puzzles.

I'm not trying to be negative, but it seems a bit limited to me. If this is going to be one of the keeper's action cards, I can think of other cards I'd rather have in my hand. Even if the keeper card was "Spend a threat to negate the affect of an investigator's luck bonus", I'd weigh it heavily against what my other possible expendetures are next round.

In Call of the wild, you have affects that curse someone. The keeper can remove a curse token from an investigator to make them re-roll a die they just rolled.

I love the curse concept, because they are an ominous threat once applied (not as in a threat tokens) to the investigator. It actually gives a player pause for a moment and debate doing an action like attacking or evading, thinking "Oh man. Even if I pass, he can make me re-roll ostensibly to fail!". Though in the grand scheme of the game, it may be quite unconsequential. The lingering threat of being cursed is a sword of Damaclese (sp) over their head. And I love it just for that affect.

So, though it's not a bad idea, it seems limited in the way you describe it for your scenario, and I like curses because they are a sinister precurser (pre-curse-er?). I'd like to see more oportunity to curse investigators....so long as I'm not playing one.
-Terry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I think you'd need to limit this to once per roll an Investigator is making, otherwise it is prone to abuse by the Keeper as it is rather OP. Games often contain that absolutely crucial roll the Investigators need to pass to win, sometimes a couple of such rolls. Astute Keepers can foresee this and stockpile their Threat to guarantee a fail at the crucial moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.